Striiv - walked less but burnt more calories???

Today I noticed that even though I walked less today that Striiv was saying I burnt more calories. Why is this and do I trust that it is right?

Has anyone else noted this?

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Personally, though I'm no expert, my advice to you is to always, always go by your heart rate, so unless this pedometer comes with one in it I wouldn't trust it. Things like exercise equipment, pedometers, even MFP itself can vastly overestimate calories burned.

If you don't have a HRM don't worry, there are plenty of calculators you can plug your heart rate into after taking it with your fingers and a trusty watch. c:

However, back on topic. It could be that you simply walked at a higher intensity than you have been before, in which case congratulations!
  • elpurple
    elpurple Posts: 46 Member
    I wondered about the heart rate but thought for an estimate then striiv would work on the basis of weight against steps and average it. I find striiv really motivating so hope it is roughly right.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Hmm, that stumps me, too. So, this helped me out a bit: http://lifehacker.com/5981544/harder-workouts-may-burn-more-calories-but-slower-ones-burn-more-fat

Makes more sense now :) Hope this helps
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Hmm, that stumps me, too. So, this helped me out a bit: http://lifehacker.com/5981544/harder-workouts-may-burn-more-calories-but-slower-ones-burn-more-fat

Makes more sense now :) Hope this helps

over the same time frame, you will burn more calories and therefore more fat working harder. The whole fat burning zone is pretty misleading.
  • elpurple
    elpurple Posts: 46 Member
    Surely that would just mean that if I exercised for longer at a slower pace then I would use up more calories than a short period exercising at a faster pace?

I used more calories according to striiv even though I walked less and also for a shorter time?
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    you will burn approximately the same number of calories running one mile as walking one mile. the difference is you can complete the mile in a shorter period of time.

something must be amiss with the calculation from your device because the numbers don't make sense to me.