Mexican food?

Options
Ok so was invited to dinner this weekend with some friends and we are going to a a very yummy mexican resturant even though I am counted it as my one day a week outing (cheat day) I dont want to throw it out the window all together what do you all eat /order when eating mexican out ? Was trying to look over their menu they have vegatable fajitas, tacos with tilapia, vegetable enchilladas...i dont eat meat or chicken either so its even harder lol

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I get chicken or beef fajitas, so for you, the vegetable fajitas or fish tacos would likely be the best choice IMO.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Vegetable fajitas without the tortillas would probably be the absolute lowest out of those options.
  • kimberlyhurt
    kimberlyhurt Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    yep, veggie fajitas are the way to go. and if you can skip the tortillas you'll be golden!
  • kimberlyhurt
    kimberlyhurt Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    they may even be able to do a seafood fajita if you ask the server.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    ^ good point. if shrimp are allowed, lots of places do shrimp fajitas.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have some chips and salsa, and then for my meal, I have 2 hard shell chicken tacos.

Stay away from anything fried, smothered in sauce, or covered in cheese dip.

And remember that Mexican food is packed with sodium, so you may see some water retention the next day.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I agree with veggie fajitas - ask for light oil. I almost always get chicken and eat the meat and veggies and some of the beans that come on the side - but no tortillas/sour cream, etc. Last time I went, I had a delicious shrimp dish - it was marinated and grilled and came with a salad.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I have some chips and salsa, and then for my meal, I have 2 hard shell chicken tacos.

And remember that Mexican food is packed with sodium, so you may see some water retention the next day.
    You know why hard-shell taco shells are hard, right?

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

*Resisting the urge to make a dirty joke*

I usually get fajitas too because then I can control the toppings. But dang those chips & salsa....
  • sweetiepie781
    sweetiepie781 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone yes was thinking the vegetable fajitas was just wondering about the oil and since it is my treat day and will probably have the tortillas but limit myself to two:) anyone know if corn tortillas are better than the flour ones that come with it ?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone yes was thinking the vegetable fajitas was just wondering about the oil and since it is my treat day and will probably have the tortillas but limit myself to two:) anyone know if corn tortillas are better than the flour ones that come with it ?

"Better" - well they tend to be lower-cal. So if that's "better" then yeah.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Black beans are a good substitute for refried, if they're available (although I love me some refried beans). Seconding the suggestions to go without a tortilla, as you'd be consuming up to 300 extra calories with each one (more if they fry them first).

Some green sauce is made with fatty pork, which is great for protein and satiation, but not so great for the calorie count. You might ask before indulging there (red sauce, IMO, is often a safer bet).

Also, if you indulge in chips, put some on your plate and then stick to that serving.

Edit: And in a revisit, I just saw that you don't eat meat - even more reason to poke the restaurant about their green sauce and their refried beans (some restaurants use animal lard in their beans).
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Yes, I do. No need to be patronizing. They're better for you than flour tortillas.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Whenever we go out for mexican now I have to put my willpower hat on. Skip the chips. Order the fajitas (does not really matter what kind) and have all the setups (pico, sour cream, etc) in bowls on the side. They can keep the tortillas. I then eyeball measure my sides and portion it out. Get a fork and dig in.

Refried beans can be a calorie bomb so be careful. The "spanish rice" is noramlly not much better. Anything fried is to be looked at with suspicion (though I love chimichangas and soapillias). If I really want to just get a taste for the stuff I am not suppose to eat then go in for some loaded nachoes with friends and family. I have a few, get my fix and keep my eye on the prize (where I want to be after that meal).
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Better tasting? Definitely.

Usually flour holds together better for fajitas and the difference probably isn't worth worrying about at that point.

ceoverturf wrote: »

*Resisting the urge to make a dirty joke*

I usually get fajitas too because then I can control the toppings. But dang those chips & salsa....
    Depending on the server, our Tex-Mex place either leaves the pitcher with salsa in it or brings chip-bowls full of salsa rather than the smaller salsa bowls. They get tipped pretty well.

• sweetiepie781
    Options
    Yes thats what I mean by " better" lol i know none of my choices are going to be the best especially doing mexican but glad its on my treat day just dont want to go overboard !
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Eating Mexican food is a challenge. Eating Mexican food with friends is even bigger challenge because whatever you plan to do, someone else will likely will get the chips and salsa or a huge margarita and offer me some and that is torture to me.

But I love Mexican food and I refuse to live my life without it so I've developed a few strategies.

I'm not sure what you mean by cheat meal or what you allow yourself, but my best advice to you no matter what you decide to eat is to pre-log whatever you are likely to eat OR be tempted by. That is a good reality check. Chips, ugh. Margaritas, double ugh. Any kind of beans and rice, ugh. It adds up quick, but if you know ahead of time a half cup of this is worth this much and half cup of that is worth that much, you will be much less tempted to put those items on your plate.

I avoid those extra unwanted calories by always ordering alacarte so they won't add beans and rice and sour cream that I will tempted by. I usually grilled soft tacos (I eat chicken, but you can do fish, shrimp, or veggies usually) and if they give you two corn tortillas per taco, you can get away with eating just one, but corn tortillas are not too bad, IMO.

Another pretty good option at some restaurants is soup. Some places have pozole or another type of homemade soup. Mexican chicken soup with lime is the best, but I know you don't eat chicken. Just another idea.

Good luck!

• sweetiepie781
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    Eating Mexican food is a challenge. Eating Mexican food with friends is even bigger challenge because whatever you plan to do, someone else will likely will get the chips and salsa or a huge margarita and offer me some and that is torture to me.

But I love Mexican food and I refuse to live my life without it so I've developed a few strategies.

I'm not sure what you mean by cheat meal or what you allow yourself, but my best advice to you no matter what you decide to eat is to pre-log whatever you are likely to eat OR be tempted by. That is a good reality check. Chips, ugh. Margaritas, double ugh. Any kind of beans and rice, ugh. It adds up quick, but if you know ahead of time a half cup of this is worth this much and half cup of that is worth that much, you will be much less tempted to put those items on your plate.

I avoid those extra unwanted calories by always ordering alacarte so they won't add beans and rice and sour cream that I will tempted by. I usually grilled soft tacos (I eat chicken, but you can do fish, shrimp, or veggies usually) and if they give you two corn tortillas per taco, you can get away with eating just one, but corn tortillas are not too bad, IMO.

Another pretty good option at some restaurants is soup. Some places have pozole or another type of homemade soup. Mexican chicken soup with lime is the best, but I know you don't eat chicken. Just another idea.

Good luck!

Thanks well by "cheat "meal I mean I normally save one day during the week to eat out and not go nuts by worrying about my calories I usually try to save that day for a weekend or if I have a party, event.... so I can enjoy foods I normally dont eat during the week but thanks for the ideas mexican food is def a tough one for me as I lovee chips, guac, margaritas all hard things to pass by esp when everyone else is enjoying it in front of you !lol
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I live on Mexican take out! I get either: steak tacos with cheese and pico de gallo on corn tortillas or grilled fish tacos with purple cabbage slaw, no cheese, on corn tortillas. I split the beans and rice in half and take it to work the next day with the extra taco. I've never gone over 600 calories doing this. Usually they use skirt steak for the tacos and that's only 187cal per 3oz. Not bad, so don't be weary to get that instead of chicken.

Skip all the extra stuff like gauc and chips and order that margarita! B)