Looking for someone to keep me accountable

Options
Okay, so I've been on-again off-again MFP for a while now. I have really been struggling lately. I joined a gym two months ago and probably average working out there once a week. I do really intense workouts (about 600-800 calorie burn) but have a hard time making it there regularly. It's not like I'm starving myself (I try to aim for around 1400 calories per day) and I have about 35 lbs to lose.

I've struggled with what I think is called the "yo-yo" effect for years. Two weeks ago, I did great on my diet for a week. I ate fresh veggies/fruit, ate only lean meat and some eggs, and tried very hard to cut out as much sugar as possible. But then came a graduation party, and I binged. Like, until I felt like I was going to vomit. Then came a string of "bad days" where I would hesitate before eating something, but say "screw it" and eat it anyways. I have no support from family, friends, or my boyfriend...who eats terrible and it's like pulling teeth to get him to go to the gym with me even though he pays for it too.

Anyways, these are all excuses. I know. But how do you keep yourself accountable? I was thinking if there was someone who I could talk to and keep me motivated, that might work. I recently moved, and have been a bit lonely and I just can't seem to get away from this yo-yo thing. If anyone has some suggestions, please let me know. Please, don't leave any bitter or mean-spirited remarks. I'm just trying to seek some honest help.

Replies

• payton8386
    Options
    It's so much easier when you have someone that you know is going to call, and is going to tell you straight up to hop to it isn't it?
    I know the first time I lost all my weight, I had someone to kick my butt every morning, and I kicked hers.
    I need someone for the support too.....
  • mlc100
    mlc100 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thought it was just me lol. actually for many years i never had to diet, could eat anything i fancied and never put any weight on. Then I hit mid 40s and slowly it began to creep on. Then I stopped smoking 6 months ago and also stopped drinking alcohol. I have put on a stone over the last year and nothing fits properly any more. I am swinging from one diet to another and have yet to truly find one that fits. The bottom line is whatever the diet I realise I have to just eat a little bit less and exercise a little bit more. I say little because it's the only way that I then find I can keep going, as it feels less of a feast and famine situation.

I spend an hour a week in the gym, sometimes twice a week but not always, and I spend two half hour sessions doing yoga and some cardio on my Wii fit which I like as I can go at my own pace. I also try not to pick too much between meals as that is my ultimate downfall. instead I try to drink as much water as possible and I buy lots of organic cucumbers. I cut a big chunk and sprinkle a tiny bit of sea salt on and eat it slowly as a snack. Also if I need something sweet I buy Boots diabetic caramel sweets lol!
  • trindy1973
    trindy1973 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I feel like I need someone to keep me accountable, but I also feel like I need to be accountable to myself, and that should be enough. It's hard.
  • mlc100
    mlc100 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    maybe we need a mini support group here then! as long as we are nice to each other and firm but encouraging :-)

I WILL start the diet tomorrow. Today was rubbish but I always feel that Monday should be a positive start. I have steamed lots of veggies in preparation and cooked some fresh salmon and barley for salads. Also bought the dieter's friend - some packs of cooked king prawns. Love them with lots of salad and a spritz of lemon juice.