Oregon Community College Shooting

Options
Marbella29660
Marbella29660 Posts: 71 Member
edited October 2015 in Chit-Chat
Why the USA continues to allow people to kill innocent people(aka have guns), I'll never know.

I come from a place where we don't have a right to bear arms and I've never seen a baby who was born with a gun. WTF - Its ridiculous and senseless but I suppose when it's not your family or loved ones being killed, it doesn't seem to matter. As far as I'm concerned innocent lives matter, everything else does not.

News Report Below:

(Reuters) - At least 15 people were killed and another 20 wounded at a shooting on Thursday at a community college in Roseburg, Oregon, media reported.

The Portland Oregonian newspaper and CNN reported that a suspect had been taken into custody, citing Douglas County officials. That suspect was not identified.

CNN reported that one of the wounded was a female who had been shot in the chest. There was no immediate information on condition of the other wounded victims.

A spokeswoman for the Douglas County Sheriff's department confirmed to Reuters that there was a shooting at the Umpqua Community College campus in Roseburg. The spokeswoman had no further details.

"Active shooter scene is code 4. Multiple casualties all pt's transported," the Douglas County Fire Department said in a tweet. Multiple ambulances were reported to be on scene.

The Portland Oregonian newspaper reported that officers responded at around 10:40 a.m. PDT (1740 GMT) to reports of a shooting at the college. The Oregonian said police scanner traffic indicated that the shooter was "down."

Shelly Stefanich, spokeswoman for Mercy Medical Center in Roseburg, said that the hospital was the only one in town and most likely to receive patients, but could not say how many were being treated there.

Local media reported that authorities were combing through the campus.

The paper said agents from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were en route to Roseburg, a city of about 20,000 people some 260 miles (418 km) south of Portland.

(Reporting by Eric M. Johnson in Seattle and Dan Whitcomb in Los Angeles; Editing by Sandra Maler and Lisa Shumaker)

Source: http://bit.ly/1jAXRsL

Replies

• for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    The real tragedy in this is that stories like these don't really shock me anymore. That's where we are as a society now. Mass killings are becoming the norm.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Of course if you take away all the guns, criminals wouldn't have them either. sarcasm
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Why the USA continues to allow people to kill innocent people(aka have guns), I'll never know.
    OMG, I have several friends who own guns! I never would have known they were mass murders killing innocents by the hundreds until I saw your post! Thank you for letting me know what horrible people they are! I'll stay away from them from now on. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    IMO, this is more of a mental health issue than a gun control issue. The treatment of mental health in this country is pretty appalling...it is very difficult to get help when one needs it.

The right to bear arms is nothing new...these types of shooting rampages are relatively new.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I have a gun. Does that make me a murderer?
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    People are allowed to have guns because it is one of our rights as US citizens. The right to bear arms. Changing the constitution is kind of a big deal to most... I do agree totally with @cwolfman13 it is definitely more a mental health issue. I also agree with @ready4_50 the fact that society is almost numb to these types of shootings now because they happen so much is absolutely tragic. Yesterday's shooting was the 41st school shooting this year. Today's world (not just in the United States) is a scary, evil place. Makes me sad that I brought 2 children into it.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    IMO, this is more of a mental health issue than a gun control issue. The treatment of mental health in this country is pretty appalling...it is very difficult to get help when one needs it.

The right to bear arms is nothing new...these types of shooting rampages are relatively new.

often the only way to even be seen for help is to self identify, and even then the stigma is just horrible. My mother is bipolar and has been institutionalized before, so I can empathize with those dealing with mental health issues.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Gun control is a definite 2 way street with so many of these mass shootings occurring in a place that doesn't allow guns. But it's also very seldom where you read of a CHL person or legal carrier stopping anything remotely like this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

often the only way to even be seen for help is to self identify, and even then the stigma is just horrible. My mother is bipolar and has been institutionalized before, so I can empathize with those dealing with mental health issues.

agreed...and as someone who has some of my own issues in that RE, it is difficult to admit that maybe something just isn't quite right and to seek out that help. I am quite thankful that my wife can recognize when I'm not quite right and she gets me in to see the doc pronto. For me, it's mostly anxiety issues and panic attacks and a few tranquilizers usually do the trick...I really feel for people who have significantly greater mental health issues, particularly if they don't have people around them to help them and help them get whatever other help they need...make sure they're taking their meds, etc.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Another mass murder and people are screaming to ban guns..So stupid. It's repeated so many times but it applies anytime a murder happens GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE.
  • Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 307 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to provide a brief explanation for locking this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics and posts, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Jordan
    MyFitnessPal Community Staff
This discussion has been closed.