Sickness after healthy eating and exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    antzygirl wrote: »
    Hi guys. Well, yes i do have a child at school and i work in hospitality. I Think maybe i have been running on too lower cals for the amount of exercise i do. I started on optifast 800-1000 per day, then i moved onto a transition which is where i chose MFP to track cals. I was taking in 1200 cals per day but i have upped my cals to 1350. I am still recovering from my virus and bacterial infections so haven't really noticed whether the increase in cals has made alot of difference just yet. I have started eating a few more starchy vege.. potato very much in moderation, yams, and sweet potato and i do feel 'better' than i was before. I was trying to keep the carbs to a minimum because of the Optifast way.....i was infact a little frightened of eating them again incase i gained. I believe i may be rundown, so will try multi vitamins and stick with the higher cals for a while and see how i go :)

Not enough especially if you are biking/walking 5-14km a day

• sprylady
    sprylady Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I got sick with an upper respiratory infection because of to few calories and I worked to long on a weekend. I got my immune system down and I've been sick for 3 weeks. I did go to the doctor, finally, and was put on steroids and heavy antibiotics and some other stuff. I'm much better but I haven't been watching my diet because I haven't felt good enough to do any healthy cooking. I've gained a pound back. I have been getting some exercise but today I'm starting back to my fitness pal. No more excuses. I'm diabetic and I have to do this so I will not have to add anymore meds and not make it worse. I just can't remember when I grew old. I had a back injury then my mother passed away and it just went down hill after that. Got to get back on the horse!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've been less sick since. I do get really tired and worn out for a few days every few months though, just no symptoms except intense fatigue and dizziness, which sucks, but doesn't last a long time...

Take multi vitamins
    Have a REASONABLE goal

What helps me is that as soon as I get symptoms, I start having Cold-Eeze... 3-4 in a day. I haven't been seriously sick since I started doing that. I highly recommend that stuff.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My body does not adjust well to change, never has. A couple of years ago I lost close to 30 lbs. I wound up with a 22mm kidney stone stuck in my ureter. It took 5 separate day surgeries to finally get it out. It was a uric acid stone from eating too much spinach salad! This time when I hit 15 lbs lost, my liver and kidney enzymes went all wonky. I was on Dr's watch for a month or so until my levels went back to normal.

As far colds and stomach bugs, I only tend to get one a year. I work in an elementary school and have been for over 20 years so I think my immunities are pretty tough.
  • antzygirl
    antzygirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys going on others,experiences I definitely took things abit far before! I am still on antibiotics just a couple of days to go (thank goodness my gut is screaming!) and I've started eating moderately, starchy veges and I have the odd scone or something that makes me feel more,satisfied! I've walked the past two days, only 4km and I was abit slower than usual, but I'm trying to keep in mind that it doesn't need to be a race as long as I'm making the effort. I have actually lost a few hundred grams too.....so maybe my body is thanking me for being kinder!! Thanks to you all for your comments and advise it helps so much (:
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    antzygirl wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm wondering, does anybody else experience alot of illnesses after they start healthy eating and exercise plans? I'm 3.5 months into mine, and have lot 10kg, but i have contracted several viruses (which i know can't be avoided) and i have so much trouble fighting off infections even with the aid of antibiotics etc! My diet is good, lots of veges, lean meat, eggs some fruit, yogurts, nuts, seeds i try to avoid starchy veges and breads, pasta, rice and i enjoy a protein shake most days which are loaded with vitamins and minerals also.
    This seems to happen literally everytime i start a plan! I was biking and walking from 5-14km a day, but i am sick (tonsillitis and sinusitis) atm so i have been resting.
    Love to hear any similar experiences, and if you have found the answer to doing this right!

I dont know your health story but when I first started I was extremely active working out at least 90 minutes a day high intensity. I found that supplementing with 1000mg of vitamin C helped me to stave off getting sick.

• entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would second what others have said that you haven't been eating enough, and add that you need rest and good nutrition when sick. Your body has extra demands fighting off those bugs. Take care of yourself ok? *hugs*
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Boost your immune system with digestive enzymes 3 times/day with each major meal. This will free up your immune system to fight the viruses. Enzymedica's "Digest Gold" is the best! Of course you probably already know to reduce all sugar and processed carbs that viruses feed off of. :)

This is just nonsense.