Is weightloss really slow?

Options
Is it slow or is it all in our heads? I get on the scale every moring and usually the scale says the same number everyday. Then occasionally its a pound less. Then I go another several days with nothing. Then God forbid it be that time of month and I can go for almost two weeks with nothing. But then another pound less...and then another pound. I look in the mirror and I think I look the same...but I can't really tell.

Very often on this very forum we get people wanting to lose weight as quickly as possible. We've all been there. We've all thought the same thing. We've all tried the same thing. But do we really need to rush it? Is 1-2 pounds per week really that slow? I gonna say that it really isn't. Yeah when you're staring at your scale every morning hoping to see the next lowest number it may seem slow. But what did you weigh 30 days ago? How about 90 days ago? Yeah, sometimes a pound here or there seems like such a small drop in the bucket but when you stand back and look at it...that bucket starts to fill up pretty quickly. 90 days ago on July 1st I was 222 pounds. I was getting ready to go to the beach for the 4th of July weekend. We had a great time and it doesn't seem that long ago. But 90 days later on Oct 1st I now weigh 195 pounds. I don't have to shop at the Plus Size stores anymore. :) And it was pretty painless. I'm even tempted to say it was easy. And that is just a 2 pound per week loss.

I'm rolling along day after day and pound after pound. Sometimes it may seem like watching grass grow. But when you stand back and look at the big picture it does actually go pretty fast. So to all of those out there that just started your journey and you're all gunho and want to lose 10 pounds a week because you're tire of being fat. Just RELAX. Take it easy. Make your plan easy and comfortable. Don't beat yourself up if you slip up. Sometimes Pizza just happens. :) But if you're sticking to your plan more often than not you will lose weight. Just give it time. If you're you're struggling with your plan then slow down a little bit. Just like some nights I get on my treadmill and I can walk a 4mph pace for 30 minutes with no problem but then other nights I'm tired from a long day at work. So I set it to 2 mph and still do my 30 minutes and its a lot easier. So if you have to slow down and raise your calories up for a little while because you feel hungry all the time then do it. You can always lower it back down when you're feeling better. But the point is to just keep going. Because those pounds lost do add up...but you have to keep going. The winner of this race is simply the one who can keep going the longest no matter how slow it may seem. The turtle will win every time.

BE THE TURTLE!!!

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Very good post and very true. I have to remind myself of the very things that you mentioned in your post. Weeks that I feel I did not lose as much as I wanted to, I look back and see what my loss has been for the month. At any rate, if I only lose 1lb or .5 lbs, it is still progressing towards my goal. Thank you
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Love this^^ thanks for sharing!!
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My losses come infrequently. It's a tough mental battle to hold steady waiting for the "real" feedback from the scale. But they do add up, over 60 pounds gone so far and there is no reason to ever look back.

Great post. Thanks for sharing!
  • mandarkio
    mandarkio Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You're so right. I am starting to come to this realisation now that I'm three weeks into my weight loss. I keep getting on the scale every morning ' just to check' and feeling disappointed that the numbers haven't magically moved, when really I should be amazed that I'm just three short weeks I am 11lbs lighter, and weigh less than I have in a long while! I admit I have been beating myself up over every perceived stumble, and in the long run that just isn't going to work out. I'll end up feeling so bad about my failures that I'll give up all together. So I think this mindset it's really healthy, and thanks for posting it :) we all deserve to be happy and feel good about ourselves.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Great Post op!!!! It can be slow for sure.... Has taken me 2.5 years to lose 71 lbs.... But hell.... I lost 71 lbs
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks, OP, you are so right. It's funny how people want to lose weight oh, so quickly, but they gained it oh, so slowly! If someone gains an average of five pounds a year, as I did, in 12 years it's "suddenly" 60 pounds gained. Nobody would agree to LOSE only five pounds a year for 12 years, though! (And I wouldn't blame them.) I've lost 32 pounds since December of last year, with 28 to go, and couldn't be happier.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Weight comes of everywhere, sometimes it comes off of some places very noticeable and sometimes not. Sometimes the scale moves but the tape measure doesn't or visa versa. I think it is very important to have non scale victories and focus on the down ward trend. Weight loss may be slow but I am losing it faster than I gained it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Great way to articulate this process. Slow and steady wins the race. 16 months and going strong!

67388953.png
  • fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I like your thinking. Most people when losing weight want a quick fix and don't see it as a lifestyle change. Weight loss is like weight gain. Weight gain happens over time. No one gains twenty pounds in a week or even a month (excluding water weight which isn't real weight) just as it's impossible to loose 20 pounds. I'm not even sure if you can loose 20 pounds in a month unless you're super obese or if you starved yourself, but then the weight loss would be mostly water loss which can be gained back very quickly.

It's the little things that add up over time. One day of overeating won't make you gain weight as you can't loose weight in one day, it builds up over time.

Weight loss might seem like it's takes forever but time goes by quickly too and before you know it it's been three months and you've lost all stone!

Slow and steady weight loss is far better than crash dieting and regaining the weight.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I definitely went in with the expectation for it to be really slow, and I was shocked to find out that I've actually lost 15lbs since June. I've never really lost weight in my life! Especially since I had no idea what I'm doing and it's taking me a long time to figure out how things work & where I'm comfortable.

It's a bit less than a pound per week, and I'm actually really glad I didn't get a scale. It's consistently been a nice surprise every time I get weighed, I'm a couple pounds down, so I don't have that grass-growing feeling! I also tried to approach it, as the saying goes, like a "lifestyle". It's my foray into nutrition and (until I busted my knee :'( ) fitness, and doesn't impact my social events. I already feel so much better. It's not visible yet, but I can feel it. And that's just the best thing.

There are so many bumps in this road that I need to learn how to climb, and I'm determined to keep going. Because I want a better life, I want a full life, and I deserve it. Je suis la tortue! :blush:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yes, it's slow and Yes, that sucks.

I get why people want to lose it quickly. Me, too!

If I could, I would...I swear ("I swear" added for the George Michael fans.)

I wish all the crash dieters luck, but I cannot crash diet 100 pounds off my body, so I stick with eating right and exercising...and waiting. The waiting is the hardest part (added for the Tom Petty fans.)
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Great mindset! I know I started wanting to lose fast and trying to restrict a lot. But my life keeps going on. I decided I didn't want to be the spoilsport when DH came home with a treat. For example, He had gyros for lunch one day and was going to bring home baklava to share with me. Well, the guy at the restaurant heard that and offered him another piece free, so DH shows up with 2 large pieces. And I LOVE baklava. So I said thanks, ate half that night (and went for a walk after dinner) and planned the other half for the next night. My family deserves to have a happy mom/wife, not a grumpy feeling deprived one.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    hi135 wrote: »
    If I went in with the mindset that pizza just happens attitude, Id probably wouldve just lost 10 pounds that year oppose to 40. The oh give yourself a break, tomorrow's another day thing never worked for me.

Wow you went an entire year without "Pizza just happening to you"? If its not pizza its a burger or its a cookie or its ice cream or popcorn at the movies. There's always going to be a time where you have something that is not prelogged the day before in your diary. If I beat myself up everytime I did that I would have given up months ago and not lost the 60 pounds I did. We all try and be as good as possible and stick to our plan but there are times when life doesn't go according to plan. Call it a moment of weakness or whatever you want but its not going to derail your entire weightloss journey. Does it slow that journey down a smidge? Sure maybe it does. Maybe if Pizza didn't happen maybe I would have lost 65 pounds in the last 6 months. But honestly who really cares about that 5 pounds in the long run. The point is just log it and move on. Get back to your diet...maybe do a little more exercise to burn it off. I do absolutely everything I can do to make this process for me as EASY as possible. I honestly think if its you're struggling or miserble you're doing something wrong. And sorry but life without Pizza would be miserble. :)
  • Bshmerlie
    Options
    Here is another analogy about pacing yourself. If you had to cross the USA on foot which is 3000 miles would you really start out running? Be serious...you'd just start walking. You'd probably try and set little goals for yourself like walking 20 miles a day or something like that. You don't just start sprinting full speed because how far would you really get? That's how I think of this weightloss journey. I started out with 125 pounds to lose. There's no way to crash diet 125 pounds. So I'm just at walking speed. I'll even crawl if I have to...but I'll never stop. I've got 66 pounds to go and I have absoultely no doubt that I will get there. And its going to take probably until the end of 2016 to get to that final goal. But that's OK and thats actually pretty quick considering it took me over 20 years to put it on.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    99wy3vo78yzo.gif
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Lol at 2 pounds a week being slow. :) Right now I'm at about 0.25 pounds a week, which means sometimes 2 months before I see a new low.

(And I once gained 40+ pounds in 6 weeks, so don't even have the "didn't gain it overnight" argument to console me. Math says it's way easier to gain than to lose.)

Fast or slow doesn't matter. You're going to be a year older in a year no matter what - do you want to weigh more at the end of that year, or less?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    If I went in with the mindset that pizza just happens attitude, Id probably wouldve just lost 10 pounds that year oppose to 40. The oh give yourself a break, tomorrow's another day thing never worked for me.

Wow you went an entire year without "Pizza just happening to you"? If its not pizza its a burger or its a cookie or its ice cream or popcorn at the movies. There's always going to be a time where you have something that is not prelogged the day before in your diary. If I beat myself up everytime I did that I would have given up months ago and not lost the 60 pounds I did. We all try and be as good as possible and stick to our plan but there are times when life doesn't go according to plan. Call it a moment of weakness or whatever you want but its not going to derail your entire weightloss journey. Does it slow that journey down a smidge? Sure maybe it does. Maybe if Pizza didn't happen maybe I would have lost 65 pounds in the last 6 months. But honestly who really cares about that 5 pounds in the long run. The point is just log it and move on. Get back to your diet...maybe do a little more exercise to burn it off. I do absolutely everything I can do to make this process for me as EASY as possible. I honestly think if its you're struggling or miserble you're doing something wrong. And sorry but life without Pizza would be miserble. :)
    Some people would say - in fact, have said - that if you overeat and then exercise more to make up for it, you're "doing it wrong." Ditto exercising more so that you can eat more. Also "doing it wrong." They really believe that. A few have diagnosed that as an eating disorder, lol. It's not wrong. It's just different than how they've chosen to do things.

I struggled my way I to a healthy diet. I struggled hard, especially with salt. But I got there. I have a healthy diet now and am happy about it! For me, I'm doing it right.

For some people, having pizza (or whatever) is absolutely necessary because they have eating disorders and find that they'll binge if they don't include the "forbidden" food. Others just don't want to give up their pizza and burgers. That's great for them!

Skipping that stuff is NOT "doing it wrong." It's just doing it differently.
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    Thank you so much for this! Perfectly said!
  • Bshmerlie
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Some people would say - in fact, have said - that if you overeat and then exercise more to make up for it, you're "doing it wrong." Ditto exercising more so that you can eat more. Also "doing it wrong." They really believe that. A few have diagnosed that as an eating disorder, lol. It's not wrong. It's just different than how they've chosen to do things.

I struggled my way I to a healthy diet. I struggled hard, especially with salt. But I got there. I have a healthy diet now and am happy about it! For me, I'm doing it right.

For some people, having pizza (or whatever) is absolutely necessary because they have eating disorders and find that they'll binge if they don't include the "forbidden" food. Others just don't want to give up their pizza and burgers. That's great for them!

I totally agree. Some people do need to remove certain things from their life or they will binge on them. I get that. But some people also are so restrictive with their diets. They cut out everything that they think is bad for them. But what happens is they eventually go back to it and then their diet goes out the window. I eat the same foods I did before.....just less of them. So yes, I confess I do eat Pizza once a week but its not the entire Pizza anymore....its just a couple of slices. But yes there are some people who can't stop at two slices....and for those people yes you should probably stay away from the Pizza. :)
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I agree! I think it's all about personal priorities and personal health. I prioritize social eating, so I make allowances for social events. I feel like for me, I enjoy sharing fries and other food with friends and family so much I'd be upset if I couldn't keep it.

I'm about finding the behaviours that are unhealthy and sit in an unhealthy mindset for me - so if I'm eating to avoid talking, or eating beyond fullness, even in a social setting, that's not good. If I'm buying fries (or chips or candy etc) alone, that's also not good. Yet there are foods I don't find calorically worth it, like movie theatre popcorn. So I don't get it, even in social situations, anymore. I will, however, now and again make my own air-popped popcorn and top it with real butter. That also might sound contradictory lol, but it's how I've worked it out for myself.

For some people, they would feel differently. But sharing these moments with friends is important to me, so I keep them. It's not wrong, just different. I don't forbid specific foods, but I forbid specific foods + certain feelings/situation.