Coming to America - Tipping Question

Options
KiwiAlexP
KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
Hi all

just a quick question for the Americans on this site. I'm going to be visiting the US for the first time next week (yay!) but since tipping isn't a thing here in New Zealand have a few queries.

While I think I understand tipping at restaurants etc. we're staying at hotels and I'm not sure if, who, when and how much I should be tipping at the hotel

Also we'll be using Airport shuttles and have been told $1-$2 per bag as a tip but do you just hand the drivers cash or do they ask for it?

Thanks for your help

Alex

Replies

• Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    they wont ask for it, but sometimes they'll make it obvious they want a tip... yes, just hand them the cash after they are done doing whatever it is they do...$1-2 per bag is right.
  • 0utrun
    0utrun Posts: 71 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Rarely anyone asks for tips, they kind of expect it as a service paid. Shuttles usually a $1.00 a bag, unless it is heavy or cumbersome, then I'll tip $2.00 a bag. As a rule of thumb I tip 20% to cab (taxi) drivers and waiter (waitress) at restaurants. Concierge or doormen at the hotel usually just hand them a $5.00 or so, Housekeeping I tip a few dollars, if service is really good I'll tip a $5.00 as well. Just leave the cash on top of the bed in the room or under the soap dispenser in the bathroom, so they know it's for them. Hope this helps and have fun!!
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    With housekeeping is that a daily tip or just when we leave?
  • jennmpantoja
    jennmpantoja Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    I work for a Hotel. You don't have to tip the Housekeepers, but really they are appreciated more than you know. Those ladies work so unbelievably hard and often go un noticed and are greatly unappreciated.