Constipation weighs???

Options
I suffer from constipation and on the days I weigh in, if I'm constipated I could weigh 2-3 lbs heavier than 2 days earlier. Does this make sense? I keep getting frustrated that I'm gaining weight but my diet is superb!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Yes. Bowel movements effect your weight. Your scale weight is more than just fat & lbm. It also includes water weight, the food in your stomach, any bowels that have yet to be released, etc. This is why it's recommended to watch trends over time and not to compare individual weigh-ins.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yes everything that goes in that has yet to go out impacts what you see on the scale. Assuming you are making the right food choices so you have enough fiber, upping your water can sometimes help move things along. Constipation also can occur it you are too aggressive on you calories/exercise and put your body in starvation mode. Accidentally did that and when I backed off, lost a lot.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been able to go, of course the scale is going to be higher.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Totally normal.
    One day I weighed before and after visiting the toilet, 2 lbs difference.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    AlsSmile, I have often thought of doing that, just out of curiosity. Too lazy to haul my clothes off once I am dressed though.

Thanks so much for your candid report.

Cheers, h.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    BikeTourer wrote: »
    Yes everything that goes in that has yet to go out impacts what you see on the scale. Assuming you are making the right food choices so you have enough fiber, upping your water can sometimes help move things along. Constipation also can occur it you are too aggressive on you calories/exercise and put your body in starvation mode. Accidentally did that and when I backed off, lost a lot.

There is no such thing as starvation mode.

Cheers, h.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    totally normal to see a rise on scale when having toilet issues....
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It all is going to even out in the end. Don't get discouraged. Keep on track and the weight numbers will drop.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Magnesium Citrate can help. You can get it pre-made for around a dollar at most stores.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    AlsSmile, I have often thought of doing that, just out of curiosity. Too lazy to haul my clothes off once I am dressed though.

Thanks so much for your candid report.

Cheers, h.

You don't even have too. I knew I had to go, so got on dressed and all. Straight to the toilet. After that straight back on the scale, just to know the difference. (Don't worry, did wash my hands after that)

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Take a couple magnesium citrate capsules every day. You be fine.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    BikeTourer wrote: »

There is no such thing as starvation mode.

Cheers, h.

Look at all the blogs and post about under eating no doing you weight loss program any favors and there are articles related to people who exercises to such a level it rises to the same level as an eating disorder. Typically you only run into this with "weight loss programs" that guarantee outrageous weekly weight loss...

Maybe starvation mode is not the correct term but you can screw up your metabolism and undermine you weigh loss by being too aggressive, like using your calorie or exercise to create too large of a deficit.

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    YOUR A OKAY..............
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    ydyms wrote: »
    I suffer from constipation and on the days I weigh in, if I'm constipated I could weigh 2-3 lbs heavier than 2 days earlier. Does this make sense? I keep getting frustrated that I'm gaining weight but my diet is superb!

Just use your average for the week as your weight. Don't worry about one specific day.
  • Reinventi0n
    Reinventi0n Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes, that can and will effect your weigh ins. Invest in a good probiotic if you haven't yet, it really can help with constipation and getting you to become more regular.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Totally normal.
    One day I weighed before and after visiting the toilet, 2 lbs difference.

Yowsas :lol: !!

I've done that a few times, and it was always a difference of 200ish grams

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Oh yes indeed it affects what the scale flashes at you.

You should have seen the numbers after my Pico Lax cleanse....OMG I always knew I was full of *It* just didn't realise how much...... >:)
  • ltsen
    ltsen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have the same problem... Guess I will be hitting up the store and getting some magnesium nitrate! :) I also heard Dulcolax helps...
  • LookingforWhatsHerName
    Options
    Drink water, as much as you can stomach, first thing in the morning. About a quart is a good goal. I just drink it all at once. You will be surprised how well this works.