Confusing Fitbit..

Options
I just got a Fitbit tonight and was getting it all synced with mfp when I came across a few confusing things... I tried to google the answers first but no luck ha

1. After my workouts will I still log them on mfp? Or will Fitbit adjust it for me?
2. I haven't weighed myself in almost a week and after syncing mfp and Fitbit my mfp account said I had lost .1 lbs? Unless it's psychic, I'm not sure why it would do this?
3. I believe I read to ONLY log food with mfp and it will automatically sync it to Fitbit so just wanting to make sure that is correct.

Okay that's all the questions I can think of for now! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    1) Step based = just let Fitbit pick it up and adjust for it
    elliptical/cycling/swimming = manually log on either Fitbit or MFP with the correct start time and duration
    2) Either Fitbit or MFP is rounding your weight down 0.1. One of the apps (can't remember which at the moment) has a glitch and has my start weight 0.1 lbs lighter than what it should be. It always shows up that way in the app, but on the actual website it's correct.
    3) Correct. MFP for food. Fitbit for activity.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    1. FitBit should automatically sync your exercise to your MFPMFP account so long as you track your exercise through FitBit. You don't have to enter it in MFP.
    2. The two programs do sync together and notice when I enter my weight on MFP it syncs with FitBit.
    3. I only track food through MFP so I am not sure about that one.

Good luck. If you want more information I believe you search groups and there is a FitBit group. :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    1. Logging exercise is a personal choice - personally I just let fitbit do its thing when I had them linked and didn't log anything extra.
    2. Not sure about that one but I wouldn't worry too much about .1 lb
    3. Just log food in MFP

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    would like to know about the diary transfer to the fitbit dashboard.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    would like to know about the diary transfer to the fitbit dashboard.
    @besaro - What do you want to know exactly?
    MFP sends a summary of what you eat to Fitbit. Depending on how your diary is set up on MFP it will either look like this:
    o7xl348l71gx.jpg

or this:
    qgyxc9faeg8g.jpg

So exactly what you ate won't show up on Fitbit's side, but the calories/macros will show up. If you have your diary on MFP set to use Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner, your summaries show up in the corresponding slots. If you use any unique labels the summaries show up under the "Anytime" category on Fitbit.
    2.JPG 80.2K
    1.JPG 62.2K
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    elliptical/cycling/swimming = manually log on either Fitbit or MFP with the correct start time and duration
    2) Either Fitbit or MFP is rounding your weight down 0.1. One of the apps (can't remember which at the moment) has a glitch and has my start weight 0.1 lbs lighter than what it should be. It always shows up that way in the app, but on the actual website it's correct.

Fitbit counts elliptical steps for most people, so no need to enter them. There was thread about this last month.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    What kind of Fitbit do you have? I have the Fitbit Charge HR and tracking my workouts is as simple as holding down the button for a short period when I start and stop the workouts, it's not necessary but it gives you some pretty cool stats.
  • shadow2soul
    edited October 2015
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Fitbit counts elliptical steps for most people, so no need to enter them. There was thread about this last month.
    @lorrpb - I was just going by what the Fitbit website says. In this help article they mention manually logging the Elliptical and Cycling.
    https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-do-I-log-or-record-an-activity

~I have the Surge. So all I do is select the exercise mode I want and it uses my HR to determine the calories burned even with little or no steps. Models without the HR function will need to have activities that can't be tracked by steps manually logged.