Shake diets? How did you go on a shake diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A liquid diet may be required to prepare for surgery, as it was for me. Two weeks on a medically supervised VLCD liquid diet consisting of meal replacement drinks and a cup of skim milk. Unlimited, water, clear bullion and sugar-free jell-o. It did it's job and shrank my liver (glycogen reserves depleted) prior to laporascopic surgery.

I had to give up exercise; I was too wobbly.

I would not go on such a diet again unless it was medically required.

I like variety, volume eating, and I love chewing on my food. The calories that can be packed in to an itty bitty shake that is finished so quickly makes it decidedly unappealing. I will have a shake if I've had an extra energetic day and I haven't hit my calorie allowance.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have a Premier Protein shake in the morning for breakfast. It is 160 calories and 30 grams of protein. I do it for four reasons.
    1. I'm not that hungry in the morning and it holds me over till lunch.
    2. It helps me to reach my protein goals. Hard to beat 30 grams of protein for only 160 calories.
    3. It's a quick and easy meal you can have in the car on the way to work.
    4. Its something I plan on doing forever because they're easy and I'm just not a big breakfast person.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    If I have a protein shake, I consider it a 'treat' and count the calories into my daily allotment. I wouldn't do it every day though as I find that eating 'real' solid food satisfies me more. I've lost 46 lbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    the biggest issue with things like this is that you forgo the process (and it is a process) of learning how to eat appropriately for long term health, wellness, and weight management.

people tend to be overly obsessed with the actual weight loss aspect of things and tend to neglect the process of actually learning how to lead a healthful life for which the bi-product is a proper weight, better overall health, and general wellness. It is most definitely a process...changing dietary and exercise habits is difficult...but the process is well worth the endeavor...and really, you're always in process.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    shantal_96 wrote: »
    Oh okay, I think I'll definitely stick with just calorie counting with actual food ☺️
    Would it still be okay to have a shake for breakfast? Or just proper food for each meal?

If you have a good blender, I'd recommend a smoothie, more than a shake. I buy frozen fruit, blend it with vanilla almond milk, and toss in a raw egg (protein powder works as well). It's tasty, filling, and right around 300 calories for a mason jar full of smoothie (takes me almost an hour to drink).
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Oh okay, I think I'll definitely stick with just calorie counting with actual food ☺️
    Would it still be okay to have a shake for breakfast? Or just proper food for each meal?

If having a shake for breakfast suits your day and schedule for convenience, then yeah, go for it. I like walnuts, espresso, milk/almond milk, frozen banana and some oats, maybe some whey. Far more nutrient dense than anything sold by 'meal replacement shake' companies.

That actually sounds tastier, too.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I tried one but I lost no weight at all in three weeks and felt like I was starving then ended up overeating when I stopped and put weight on! I'm now back on eating normal foods but keeping within my calorie limit and I've lost 4lb in the last two weeks. So it didn't work for me but I know they seem to work for some people although I wouldn't advise using it as a long term plan as you don't learn good eating habits.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    "Shake Diets:" As others have already said, don't do it. There's nothing magical about liquified foods. Blended calories are the same as solid calories.

However, there's nothing wrong with smoothies. As long as you're not counting on them to somehow make you skinnier, they do offer some benefits, such as the convenience (you can drink them in the car or sitting at your desk while working), getting foods in that might otherwise be difficult (seeds, brans, supplements), and being able to combine foods in an effort to fine tune the balance between targeted macros and calories.

I had been drinking a 700+ calorie, 64 ounce smoothie for breakfast and a 400+ calorie, 24 ounce smoothie for lunch. Today I'm going to try a combination of the two which will total 999 calories and I think it'll total around 70 ounces. (That's as much as I can stuff into my 64 ounce Vitamix without spilling out over the top.) The smoothie should get me through the day until dinner.

I pasted the ingredients and MFP's "nutrition label" for the recipe below. I don't drink this to lose weight, I drink it to help hit my macro, fiber and calorie targets. I tend to tweak the recipe over time as I hear about the benefits of certain foods, which account for most of the current ingredients. I'd like to add an apple, a green tomato and an avocado, but I'll have to wait until I hit my weight goal (3.2 pounds away) and begin an intentional bulk, when I have an extra 750 calories to spend.

15 Ingredients Edit Recipe

10.00 g (1/2 Cup), Oat Bran Hot Cereal
    1.00 Tbsp, Black Chia Seeds Whole
    0.19 cup (15g), Wheat Bran
    2.00 cup (225 grams), 0% Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
    42.50 g(3 oz), Deep Green Blend Kale
    2.00 Scoop (32 g), Extreme Milk Chocolate Whey Protein
    1.00 Cup (140g), Wild Blueberries
    1.00 banana, Banana
    0.50 cup chopped, Carrots, raw
    100.00 gram, Pineapple
    0.50 cup, Grapes - Raw
    1.00 cup, Coconut Milk
    1.00 Rounded Teaspoon (5 grams), Micronized Creatine Powder - Creatine Monohydrate (Creapure) (Unflavored)
    0.25 tbsp, Spices - Cinnamon, ground
    1.00 packet, Stevia Packets

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 1.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 999
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 15 g 23 %
    Saturated Fat 8 g 39 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 110 mg 37 %
    Sodium 540 mg 23 %
    Potassium 1599 mg 46 %
    Total Carbohydrate 125 g 42 %
    Dietary Fiber 24 g 97 %
    Sugars 74 g
    Protein 103 g 205 %
    Vitamin A 238 %
    Vitamin C 166 %
    Calcium 134 %
    Iron 34 %
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Or you can make smoothies just because delicious. My favorites are (whole) milk, banana, lime/blueberries/strawberries; milk, banana, peanut/hazelnut butter, cocoa.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hello :)
    I'm just wondering If anybody has tried a shake diet, where you replace (for example) breakfast and lunch with shakes, and just have a not too heavy dinner?
    If so, what were your results?

I have shake everyday for lunch that fills me up and perfect for work. I make my own in a shaker cup, whey protein unflavored, stevia, pure cocoa powder , pb2 and unsweetened almond chocolate milk. I also have a cheese stick for lunch.