How do all you meat eaters get your fiber and micronutrition?

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
edited October 2015 in Food and Nutrition
(trolling topic title was for page hits and humor, now that I've got your attention let's have a discussion)

Seriously, the often maligned carbohydrate is the source of most of the micronutrition in your diet. How do ALL of you go about selecting what fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, etc. you consume, the quantity, and match what nutrients they provide with what your diet needs?

I find nutritiondata.com to be an excellent way to check on the nutrients that MFP doesn't track ot make sure my overall diet has adequate micronutrition.

Do all you on high protein diets take care to maximize the nutrition from your carb sources to have a diet complete for micronutrition as well?

Replies

• MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just stick to meat and pudding.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    If someone is cutting or maintaining and consuming more than 0.82 grams protein per lb. per day, then they are likely deficient in daily fiber and several micronutrients.

If they are bulking, then it's probably not an issue.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    a multivitamin and some metamucil pretty much cover it. or a nice kale salad will pretty much see you through the day.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I get my 5 a day and take a multivitamin. I know some here think they're expensive pee but my nails have been growing stronger since taking them.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm a balanced macro girl. I take a multivitamin in case something is missing. And extra Vitamin D because likely nearly everyone in the northern hemisphere is deficient. My dietitan recommends veggies that are dark green or bright orange for those lovely little micronutrients. Like kale. ;)
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Variety. Not sticking to the same high fat foods. Making sure you eat fish and meat and nuts. Sticking to leafy greens or low carbs in fruit and veg. I also eat porridge for breakfast to ensure I have roughage. Just keeping all other carbs out of the diet. I am on a Vitamin D tablet from the Dr. This was before I changed my diet to cut out all carbs, I was found very low Vit D. So now my mushrooms have 15 mins in the sunshine too. There are Low carb and very low carb diets. I suspect the very low carbs are the ones struggling with their nutrients. Low carb is <100g very low carbs is <30gs
  • _John_
    edited October 2015
    Options
    (in reply to sixxpoint, missed quoting then had a couple posts while I was typing)

Even within the confines of IIFYM, cutting, and high protein, it's still not that hard to chose the right foods and have some leftover.

Example: Lets take a hypothetical of an active female on a cutting diet of 1600 calories. Say her protein goal is 30% calories from protein. 480 calories from protein, and lets give the benefit of the doubt that these were lean sources and they only had to use 100 extra cals as carbs, and 200 as fat. So 780 calories down with little fiber or nutrition, but got our protein in.

820 "free" calories to get fiber and finish off our fat.

200g of Blackberries (roughly a pint): 86 calories with 10.6 of fiber

734 calories left.

3 cups of broccoli, and lets say 10 g of carbs and 5g of fat to season it

93 cals for the broccoli, 85 cals for the seasoning, and 7.1g of fiber

556 calories left, 17.7g fiber eaten.

heck, let's be lazy and finish that one off with a peanut butter and jelly on wheat.

2 slices of wheat bread 156 cals, 4.2 g fiber.

peanut butter 2 tbls 180 cals, 2 g fiber

jelly 1.5 tbls full sugar grape 75 cals

So now we're at 145 calories left, 24g fiber eaten.

Lots of leeway taken for carby protein sources, sauces, fat taken into consideration, and an overall decent looking diet for 1600 cals.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    (trolling topic title was for page hits and humor, now that I've got your attention let's have a discussion)

Seriously, the often maligned carbohydrate is the source of most of the micronutrition in your diet. How do ALL of you go about selecting what fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, etc. you consume, the quantity, and match what nutrients they provide with what your diet needs?

I find nutritiondata.com to be an excellent way to check on the nutrients that MFP doesn't track ot make sure my overall diet has adequate micronutrition.

Do all you on high protein diets take care to maximize the nutrition from your carb sources to have a diet complete for micronutrition as well?

I don't pay too much attention to it. I always try to have some sort of Wok veggie mix in the freezer cause I like making asian foods, or some fresh veggies, just the standard stuff to make a salad or sammich. Cucumber, tomato, bellpeppers, lettuce.
    Fruits, only what I feel like eating at the time. Bought two mangos today.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

I eat lots of salads and veggie soups and I pop a multivitamin every morning. It's not that hard...

• MVG821
    MVG821 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love lentils. They are versatile and just something about the texture makes them so easy to eat.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't worry about it that much.. I get 46% protein, 34% carbs and 20% fat. Feel like I get a good mix, but take a multi vitamin also.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    True dietary fiber can be excluded from your daily carb count.
    That said, your first goal should be to budget in 30 grams of fiber each day which can be a challenge if you low-carb. I include a Quest Bar every day. Lots of protein but also 17-18 grams of fiber for a net carb count of 3-4 carbs.
    Best bar out there as far as I'm concerned.

I'm at 50% Protein, 30% Fats and 20% carbs.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    (in reply to sixxpoint, missed quoting then had a couple posts while I was typing)

Even within the confines of IIFYM, cutting, and high protein, it's still not that hard to chose the right foods and have some leftover.

Example: Lets take a hypothetical of an active female on a cutting diet of 1600 calories. Say her protein goal is 30% calories from protein. 480 calories from protein, and lets give the benefit of the doubt that these were lean sources and they only had to use 100 extra cals as carbs, and 200 as fat. So 780 calories down with little fiber or nutrition, but got our protein in.

820 "free" calories to get fiber and finish off our fat.

200g of Blackberries (roughly a pint): 86 calories with 10.6 of fiber

734 calories left.

3 cups of broccoli, and lets say 10 g of carbs and 5g of fat to season it

93 cals for the broccoli, 85 cals for the seasoning, and 7.1g of fiber

556 calories left, 17.7g fiber eaten.

heck, let's be lazy and finish that one off with a peanut butter and jelly on wheat.

2 slices of wheat bread 156 cals, 4.2 g fiber.

peanut butter 2 tbls 180 cals, 2 g fiber

jelly 1.5 tbls full sugar grape 75 cals

So now we're at 145 calories left, 24g fiber eaten.

Lots of leeway taken for carby protein sources, sauces, fat taken into consideration, and an overall decent looking diet for 1600 cals.

True, but the Paleo community (which it seems you are targeting) typically makes up for those calories with high fat foods... Not grape jellly, wheat bread, and broccoli.
  • caci88
    caci88 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    If someone is cutting or maintaining and consuming more than 0.82 grams protein per lb. per day, then they are likely deficient in daily fiber and several micronutrients.

How on earth do u figure that? I'm consuming more than that and always eat more than my fiber goal... I eat vegetables and fruit with every meal.. It's not hard. Just because you eat a diet high in protein doesn't mean it's low in vegetables.. I eat a diet high in both!! I'd say I get about 5-10 serves of veg a day depending on the day and 2 serves of fruit.. Also eat oats occasionally or oat bran.. I never understood why people assume a high protein diet means low in everything else.. Can't you eat high protein high veg?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Most people on a low carb diet will eat moderate protein and high fat - fats are a fantastic source of micronutrients (one that is underused by people on a fat restriction diet)!

The carbs are mainly vegetables and fruit (the carbs with the best source of micro nutrients and fiber) and avoid or limit the more junkier rice, bread, pasta and cereals!

• ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If it is good for me, then I eat it. Other than that from when I was on meat heavy I always paired it with a vegetable. Other than that I get most of my carbs and fiber from shredded wheat cereal. I also got flax seed as a supplement to add.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    I ... eat what I feel like eating and hope that covers it.

(50 years from now I'm going to have osteoporosis - is my guess)
  • _John_
    Options

Most people on a low carb diet will eat moderate protein and high fat - fats are a fantastic source of micronutrients (one that is underused by people on a fat restriction diet)!

The carbs are mainly vegetables and fruit (the carbs with the best source of micro nutrients and fiber) and avoid or limit the more junkier rice, bread, pasta and cereals!

I will also say that the types of vegetables and small amounts of fruits recommended in low carb type diets, especially the ones recommended in Atkin's actual book are what one would need to maximize nutrition from not many carbs.

No one ever actually reads the book and stereotypes what people actually do on that diet though.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

I buy whatever fruit is on sale at the market at the time. A banana every day tho (only 49-65 cents a lb). I get whole wheat bread from either DG or Aldi's for a buck. Frozen bag of veggies (spinach, brocoli, green beans, mixed vegatables) all usually 99 cents at Krogers. I will make a salad every so often too.

I get a big packet of boneless skinless chicken breast (usually $1.99/lb at Kroger or $1.88 at Sam's). I premake it all at the beginning of the week and keep it in the fridge, then take one breast out each morning to take with me to work for lunch. I also take a 5.3 oz of Kroger blended Greek Yoghurt every day to work (14g of protein).

I haven't logged in the longest because I pretty much eat the same thing all the time as to when i was logging and know pretty much what to eat to maintain. I get on the scale every so often and i see pretty much the same weight. Running almost every day helps too.

• sixxpoint
    edited October 2015
    Options
    caci88 wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »

How on earth do u figure that? I'm consuming more than that and always eat more than my fiber goal... I eat vegetables and fruit with every meal.. It's not hard. Just because you eat a diet high in protein doesn't mean it's low in vegetables.. I eat a diet high in both!! I'd say I get about 5-10 serves of veg a day depending on the day and 2 serves of fruit.. Also eat oats occasionally or oat bran.. I never understood why people assume a high protein diet means low in everything else.. Can't you eat high protein high veg?

That all depends on what you consider high protein. Also, I did state that people who eat high protein also tend to eat high fat.

But in order to answer your question accurately, I will need your height, weight, activity level, and body fat %. Are you bulking, maintaining, or cutting? Do you lift weights? Are you actually on a weight lifting routine?

What range of daily fiber do you hover around (in grams)?

Also, how many grams of protein and fats do you consume on average each day?