Drinking and Weight loss

Options
Alcohol is never healthy. Period. However if you got major craving and want silly night I suggest cranberry juice, cheap vodka, and zero calorie sprite. I never gain any weight from the combination and I can normally continue my weight loss without any stall.

Anyone else have combinations that don't hinder their weight loss?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It is the calories that matter not the type or combo. I like grey goose vodka with dandelion and burdock but my purse doesn't ;)
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    The calories are the first to burn so everything else just sits till those are burned and it also hurts protein absorption. Alcohol won't hinder weight loss (in a deficit) but it can hinder muscle building or maintaining of muscle.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    While I object to your blanket "never healthy. Period." comment, I limit, measure, and log my alcohol when losing weight. A couple ounces of bourbon on the rocks, daily calorie deficit, no problems.
  • beastier
    beastier Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    It's not what the doctors would recommend but just have a day every few weeks where you have what you like & get it out your system that way.

Better than the regular calories & sugar intake of drinking regularly
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'd rather drink what I like most when I drink and just try not to do it too often rather than drink what is the lowest in calories.

I love beer but I'd rather not drink than have Miller Lite 99% of the time. Sometimes it is worth dropping a stupid number of calories on a few good beers at 200+ calories a pop.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Alcohol helps to thin my blood and reduce stress. I drink about 200-300 calories on average a day within my calorie goal.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 glasses of white wine pretty much every night. If it has hindered my weight loss, I am glad. I don't want to waste away to nothing!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would drink a few glasses of wine with dinner almost every night, while losing, maintaining and bulking. No problems here.
  • ljmars92
    ljmars92 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have 2 drinks almost every night. I usually drink IPA beer, but since fall is here I've been having whiskey ciders :) yum. Probably not the healthiest habit, but I make sure to stay in my calorie limit. I'm all about moderation. If I deprive myself of what I want to eat/drink, chances are I will end up going overboard and having way more than I should.
  • marsia1234
    marsia1234 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Gin and slimline tonic with a wedge of lime
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    I'd rather drink what I like most when I drink and just try not to do it too often rather than drink what is the lowest in calories.

Agreed!
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I love craft beers, premium whiskey and fine wine. When I started logging its what sent me over my allowance. I've since learned how to budget on drinking days and log it as I drink so I can have awareness. I tend to share my beer and wine so 4 beers on my food diary is really just 2 as they tend to be half portions.

If I'm out for the night and I know there will be a few I'll have spiced rum and coke zero or vodka and diet 7up.
  • nrthcntryk8
    nrthcntryk8 Posts: 6 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    GillianLF wrote: »
    I love craft beers, premium whiskey and fine wine. When I started logging its what sent me over my allowance. I've since learned how to budget on drinking days and log it as I drink so I can have awareness. I tend to share my beer and wine so 4 beers on my food diary is really just 2 as they tend to be half portions.

If I'm out for the night and I know there will be a few I'll have spiced rum and coke zero or vodka and diet 7up.
    I enjoy Wine, Whiskey, and beer as well. Thank you for the tip to 'log as I drink'. Also finding that I work harder when I know I have consumed extra with a food choice. :)
  • sarakenna12
    sarakenna12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I usually drink red wine. It has less cals than white! I tend to exercise more on days that I know I'm going to drink so I have some extra calories in reserve.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I like wine and mixed drinks. They've never affected my weight loss either...and I like my drinks
  • mcrane4
    mcrane4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use to drink a lot of craft beer, I still have to occasional beer or 2 but I make sure I'm still under my calories. I recently switched to vodka and diet sprite when I do out with friends. Hasn't seemed to hinder my weight loss.

Oh man do I miss having a dozen pints of craft beer! But that's why I'm here because of the beer!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    What? No. There are calories in there that need to be logged. Especially cranberry juice geeze.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    A good hoppy IPA is an excellent post-run recovery drink. It's a pretty good pre-run drink if one is a Hash House Harrier.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Alcohol munchies more than the drink itself is my issue. I managed okay the other day, but I was very busy with fun stuff all day, no time to sit around and think about how much I'd love chips or chocolate. Plus no one was shoving any of that into my face. If they had been, the outcome might have been sadly different.
  • JynxedDiamond
    JynxedDiamond Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    What? No. There are calories in there that need to be logged. Especially cranberry juice geeze.

What in my post convinced you that I don't take the calorie consumption into consideration with my diet for the day geeze.