Yoga on Off Days

Options
So I workout 5 days a week with 2 off (Wednesday and Sunday). I'd like to start doing yoga on those days but wondering what the best type to do increase flexibility but not really impede on my rest day?
Any suggestions?

Replies

• PieAndLattes
    PieAndLattes Posts: 43 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    There are as many types out there as there are people who practice! In general, the best thing to decide if you are looking for a general stretching session, a vigorous workout (which sounds like you may not be), or somewhere in between.

The more gentle styles, such as yin, restorative or Hatha may be for you.

Or, you may want something with a bit more oomph, such as a vinyasa type class. These can vary in intensity, though.

Ashtanga or power yoga may not be your thing if you're looking to chill, but you may find you do crave more of a workout, after all.

The other thing to consider is how much of the spiritual aspect you may or may not be looking for. Some places exclusively offer classes without music, some with music - and those with music will definitely vary in the types of music played. At some point, I think I've listened to everything from Sanskrit chanting to Stevie Nicks to Bruno Mars to Janet Jackson.

The only way to really know what style will work for you is to try it out. And, that being said, not every teacher or studio will be a good fit for you. I've wandered into a familiar studio and ended up with a substitute instructor that just didn't work for me and had me looking at my watch for the entire 90 minutes.

The other thing I would say is, don't give up on yoga without trying a few different teachers or studios or styles. I literally hated every minute of yoga (but desperately needed to improve my flexibility) until I figured out which style of yoga and teacher/studio suited me. (Which turned out to be heated vinyasa with music I want to sing along to -- I'm not so traditional, clearly). Yoga is now my primary source of exercise year round (other than lifting semi-regularly), though even more so when I can't get on my bike in the winter (because I hate cold weather).

Also, make sure you ask about special rates. I found my current studio through a groupon, but most places will often have an intro rate (a discount for the first few classes/week) or a free class, so be sure to ask! And, use that opportunity to test drive different classes or instructors!

For a quick rundown, you may find these links a little helpful (I just did a quick google) .

Hope this helps. I'm certainly nothing close to an expert.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8622/14-styles-of-yoga-explained-simply.html
    http://www.chopra.com/ccl/quiz-what-kind-of-yoga-is-right-for-you

(edited because autocorrect hates me)
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Yoga is perfect for rest days! I can't help with they types, you've been given sound advice but as for recovery days, yoga will not overwork your muscles from other workouts.

Just remember that you should never hurt during yoga, listen to your body's signals.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yoga is perfect for rest days...I only took it up a month ago and my flexibility and balance has improved no end. And the sense of well being and relaxation you get from doing it is just awesome. I use Nerdfitness, LOVE IT! :smiley:
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I also enjoy yoga on rest days. I usually end up in vinyasa classes which are great for rest days.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that was great.
    I was also thinking of doing some yoga today (on my rest day) to stretch those muscles out.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Just want to say that I searched for recovery yoga on youtube. Did a nice 30 minute video and felt great afterwards. Nice and stretched and the soreness is my muscle is more manageable now.
  • PieAndLattes
    PieAndLattes Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    So excellent! I hope you become a yoga addict now :) After several sessions, you should also notice a nice mind-body calming or empowering thing going on even if you are completely skeptical of all things woo, lol. I have a theory that that's really neurological. In any case, it's great!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I suggest Yin yoga, it is very slow with long sustained stretches (3-5min). Your heart rate stays pretty low and it concentrates on restoritive poses. It made a huge difference in my strength training.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    cvs1234 wrote: »
    There are as many types out there as there are people who practice! In general, the best thing to decide if you are looking for a general stretching session, a vigorous workout (which sounds like you may not be), or somewhere in between.

The more gentle styles, such as yin, restorative or Hatha may be for you.

Or, you may want something with a bit more oomph, such as a vinyasa type class. These can vary in intensity, though.

Ashtanga or power yoga may not be your thing if you're looking to chill, but you may find you do crave more of a workout, after all.

The other thing to consider is how much of the spiritual aspect you may or may not be looking for. Some places exclusively offer classes without music, some with music - and those with music will definitely vary in the types of music played. At some point, I think I've listened to everything from Sanskrit chanting to Stevie Nicks to Bruno Mars to Janet Jackson.

The only way to really know what style will work for you is to try it out. And, that being said, not every teacher or studio will be a good fit for you. I've wandered into a familiar studio and ended up with a substitute instructor that just didn't work for me and had me looking at my watch for the entire 90 minutes.

The other thing I would say is, don't give up on yoga without trying a few different teachers or studios or styles. I literally hated every minute of yoga (but desperately needed to improve my flexibility) until I figured out which style of yoga and teacher/studio suited me. (Which turned out to be heated vinyasa with music I want to sing along to -- I'm not so traditional, clearly). Yoga is now my primary source of exercise year round (other than lifting semi-regularly), though even more so when I can't get on my bike in the winter (because I hate cold weather).

Also, make sure you ask about special rates. I found my current studio through a groupon, but most places will often have an intro rate (a discount for the first few classes/week) or a free class, so be sure to ask! And, use that opportunity to test drive different classes or instructors!

For a quick rundown, you may find these links a little helpful (I just did a quick google) .

Hope this helps. I'm certainly nothing close to an expert.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8622/14-styles-of-yoga-explained-simply.html
    http://www.chopra.com/ccl/quiz-what-kind-of-yoga-is-right-for-you

(edited because autocorrect hates me)

This x 100. As a yoga instructor I usually ask new students to try out my class a few times before making a decision if they like it or not. Yoga can be uncomfortable at times so getting used to that is important. I have also directed my students to other instructors or classes due to what they are looking for.
    Yoga is perfect for rest days! I can't help with they types, you've been given sound advice but as for recovery days, yoga will not overwork your muscles from other workouts.

Just remember that you should never hurt during yoga, listen to your body's signals.

This as well, discomfort and pain are completely different!! Yoga is about listening to what your body is telling you for that day.
  • militarygirl92
    militarygirl92 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    I also enjoy yoga on rest days. I usually end up in vinyasa classes which are great for rest days.

I do this too. I'm taking a rest day and yet I feel like I get a workout at the same time and that suits me perfectly