Bone broth

Options
2»

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Don't let the complex things about breaking bones and marrow and 24 hours scare you. Most of us just make a more pedestrian cross between a stock and a broth and don't worry if it's clear or cloudy.

Mine includes bony chicken scraps raw or cooked, eaten off of, whatever. Skin, meat, cartilage, etc., whatever's attached to the bones goes in, too. If there's a lot of fat in the resulting stock, I just refrigerate it and take the disk of fat off.

Just the other day took a summer's worth of chicken bones & parsley stems from the freezer turned into a stock. Also a ham bone. Ended up with 30 cups of chicken stock/broth and 6 cups of ham stock/broth.

For flavoring, I used parsley stems, a handful of bay leaves (buy this by the ounce from a spice merchant), and a mess of peppercorns.

If I'm doing more than one pot or have the oven on for other things, I let it simmer in the oven for several hours (ca. 4 hours or so) at any temp hot enough to boil it -- preferably less than 350F.

The chicken stock goes in all sorts of things from chicken soup to risotto. The ham stock is great for making "instant" bean soup with canned beans.

Turkey necks make SPECTACULAR stock!

To my mind, the boxed broths from the supermarket just taste like salt.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I love homemade stock but don't like the smell in the house. How do you all deal with that?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I love homemade stock but don't like the smell in the house. How do you all deal with that?

The only thing I don't like about the smell is the cat repeatedly walking into the kitchen and howling in frustration.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

I put my crock pot out on the back porch.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Bone broth is just a new name for stock. Properly made stock gels when it's cool. It's not hard to make at all.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Um, yeah, it's just stock. I never understand how anyone made soups without having made stock. It's a basic thing we're taught here in cooking class at about age 9. This whole 'bone broth' fad is clever marketing
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    We make a huge batch of chicken stock in the fall, out of spent laying hens from our farmette. I have a pressure canner so the resulting stock gets defatted, then preserved in pint and quart jars. Very handy.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    So much smug superiority in this thread!

Yea, "bone broth"... it's *kitten* HILARIOUS!!!!!! /s

I have only seen people talking about the benefits of preparing and eating it, not "marketing" it. Maybe the term "bone broth" is new and faddish, but who cares? Language evolves. I don't really see the reason to insult OP or anybody else who cares to call it bone broth or anybody who didn't grow up with parents who cooked from scratch or sent them to cooking school.