Protein Shakes .... need some advice

Options
So I have never bought protein powder in my life, I think I have had maybe one or two... From a gym like 6-7 years ago. I am wondering your suggestions on which brand to buy , I don't want to buy something that tastes awful and never end up using it. Dont want to be wasteful!! So any advice helps! Plus I live in Canada so hopefully what you advise is available here! Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• dstromley90
    dstromley90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Before you buy do research on the amino spiking almost all majot brands got caught. Optimum nutrition is thr best choice or bsn syntha 6
  • luzdelua
    luzdelua Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I personally like the Whey Optimum Nutrition Double Chocolate. The cheapest price I found was Amazon for about $35. It tastes pretty good, especially if you mix it with milk.

I can't take whey anymore for personal reasons (whey isn't friendly to my belly). So I bought the 100% Soy Protein by Optimum Nutrition in Vanilla. It's a little pricier but it's also pretty good.

That's my opinion, maybe someone else can suggest other choices :)
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Optimum nutrition isn't the best choice for flavor. It is however highly marketed so everyone always recommends it.

The best "tasting" brands are the ones you've never heard of... Check out PES Select or XF Ultra Peptide 2.0 ~ neither brand is spiked; both are pure.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Isogold or Optimum Nutrition. Check on sugar content!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    one note: buy a mixer/blender, even if cheap
    i tried without and it's lumpy and grittty.
    with a $14 USD mixer from walmart it tasted MUCH better
    i use walmarts Pure Protein, simply because i don't have much money to spend

You don't need a blender. You just need a large shaker cup with a secure lid that doesn't leak. And also... Put the liquid in first, protein powder last.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I really like Trutein Cinnabun flavour. It is delicious, and blends well. (I really dislike the taste of artificial sweeteners, so I absolutely hate many protein powders)
  • elga_thres
    elga_thres Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition double rich chocolate and vanilla ice cream are my favorites! But I heard the mocha flavor is more tasty (I haven't tasted it)..
  • HarleeRaquel
    HarleeRaquel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone !!
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Yep! I agree about the mixer results. I've used both mixers & shakers and got the best results with a cheap battery-powered mixer I got at Amazon (Fit & Fresh brand) for about $14 and it's quite portable too for when I travel. I use it to make my morning breakfast shake using 12 oz milk (2%) with 2 scoops of GNC's Total Lean 25 protein powder (Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor) and let it sit for 5 minutes before drinking it as it thickens up to a milkshake consistency & holds off my hunger for about 4 hours. I really like the taste of this one & look forward to having it each morning.

• SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    There are two that I like - Iso sensation and Isopure Natural. I drink it with either almond milk or water. Both are available online for a decent price. I buy from Amazon and GNC (when on sale).
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of optimum nutrition for post workout and and i like muscle tech's phase 8 as a morning or snack protein.,
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I always ask for samples from health food stores or if they have a one day supply
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Not to take over the thread but has anybody tried the Pure Protein brand of whey powders?
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Another one for Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. All of the flavors I've had are delicious (double rich chocolate, banana creme, mocha cappuccino, vanilla, cake batter <---BEST). I also use About Time's Whey powder when I'm close to a show because of the low sodium/filler content- they have a pretty legit product on their hands- non-GMO, no artificial sweeteners (sweetened with stevia) and it's only 100cals for 24g protein. Outstanding profile for a protein powder.
  • EbnyIvry
    EbnyIvry Posts: 736 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Brown Rice Protein Powder by Source Naturals. Available on amazon.com.

I make a delicious smoothie less than 300 calories. 5 oz. strawberries, 12 oz. unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/2 banana, 1 tablespoon protein powder, 1 tablespoon wheat germ, 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

Yep! I agree about the mixer results. I've used both mixers & shakers and got the best results with a cheap battery-powered mixer I got at Amazon (Fit & Fresh brand) for about $14 and it's quite portable too for when I travel. I use it to make my morning breakfast shake using 12 oz milk (2%) with 2 scoops of GNC's Total Lean 25 protein powder (Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor) and let it sit for 5 minutes before drinking it as it thickens up to a milkshake consistency & holds off my hunger for about 4 hours. I really like the taste of this one & look forward to having it each morning.

If you're using a good protein powder, it should blend quite easily with just a shaker bottle. I know the Trutein mixes easily, and ON doesn't need a blender either. Figured that this was good to know for anyone who needs their protein portable.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I like the pure protein vanilla. I ordered it on Amazon for $30 ish. I use my ninja blender and mix a cup of milk, a scoop of powder, and some frozen fruit for breakfast.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Chocolate protein is the best. Vanilla based proteins do not taste very good to me. Adding a banana and some almond milk when you blend also makes it smooth and creamy.