it has been asked 10000 times but..

Options
How can I do my best to lose primarily fat? I know no matter what I will lose water, muscle, and fat I just want to do the best thing I can to lose fat. I basically haven't been logging, weighing, or even working out the past month (some how I didn't gain weight) I for sure feel like my BF% went up though. I was at the dr and he said my BF% is 30% and I am 130 pounds.. which is pretty awful. I do NOT care what the scale says I just wana be healthy and STRONG. Just not sure what my approach should be. thanks everyone!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    How did your doctor come up with that BF%?

Sounds like you should look into the recomp thread in the maintaining section of the forums.
    Found it for you:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Start lifting, girlie!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    How did your doctor come up with that BF%?

Sounds like you should look into the recomp thread in the maintaining section of the forums.
    Found it for you:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
    measurements and one of those pinch things haha clearly the scientific term.
  • fishshark
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Start lifting, girlie!!
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Lift heavy things.

I had a feeling this would be your responses! while that is my plan... should I still eat a deficit?

• Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    The recomp thread will probably clarify for you, but my understanding of recomp is, you're in maintenance calorically, and exercising (weight lifting specifically) but should only be done when you're no longer overweight. The thread will probably do a better job of explaining it
  • fishshark
    Options
    so because I'm not really "over wight" i should look into recomp instead of just straight weight loss?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    so because I'm not really "over wight" i should look into recomp instead of just straight weight loss?

I through it out there because you said you don't care what the scale says. Re-composition is specifically the very slow loss of fat with a slow gain of muscle to the point that your weight doesn't change. Supposedly it takes awhile, but you should be able to lower BF% and get smaller without losing any weight. If however you want to try losing more weight, well that's up to you, but you still might find that the thread has some good information in it for you.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, you'll need to eat less than you burn. If you want to hang on to as much of that muscle as possible, lift weights. The weight lifting doesn't just help you keep muscle - it's good for you in other ways, too.

Cardio-type exercise is also good for your body. It's a good fat burner, but it makes you healthier, too. So, you might want to think about adding that into your repertoire. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    OP, I feel like I've seen you post these questions many times. It's the same response always-to lose fat and save muscle, lift heavy in a deficit. If you want to recomp, fine, but you have to be really patient.
  • aspdenbrae
    aspdenbrae Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Start lifting, girlie!!
    Lift heavy things.

I had a feeling this would be your responses! while that is my plan... should I still eat a deficit?

I am lifting in a def atm, strength is taking a slow nosedive but it can't be helped.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Start lifting, girlie!!
    Lift heavy things.

A small one, around 250, while lifting, will allow you to recomp.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Cut carbs below 100, and cut calories to a deficit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Cut carbs below 100, and cut calories to a deficit.

So they lose initial water weight, great. What happens when they reintroduce them? It comes back!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Start lifting, girlie!!
    Lift heavy things.

agree. you need a small deficit and do some kind of resistance training.
  • AppetiteControlFreak
    Options
    Eat enough protein

You body will not magically shed muscle tissue when you eat in a 1 lb or less per week deficit if you get all the protein you need thru your meals.

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Eat enough protein

You body will not magically shed muscle tissue when you eat in a 1 lb or less per week deficit if you get all the protein you need thru your meals.

Not entirely true. Lifting is still recommended.
  • fishshark
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    OP, I feel like I've seen you post these questions many times. It's the same response always-to lose fat and save muscle, lift heavy in a deficit. If you want to recomp, fine, but you have to be really patient.

actually the last time i asked a question regarding bf% was july 8th and that was the only other time. thank you for the help...
  • fishshark
    Options
    Start lifting, girlie!!
    Lift heavy things.

perfect thanks! just basically was wondering how much my deficit should be.