Vanity

Options
for_ever_young66
for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
edited October 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hey everyone. I'm not sure where to post this message. It's sort of a success story but I guess it could also go under motivation and support. I used to always be the skinny kid, the weakling when I was growing up. Hell, sometimes a girl would be able to open up the the tightened up ketchup bottle before I could. Now, as I approach 50, I have suddenly developed all kinds of muscle definition, thanks to this journey that began nearly 3 years ago as I've been slaving like hell in the gym trying to make myself stronger. However, I'm also finding myself staring in the mirror at least 20 minutes after I get out of the shower. (or longer). I was always taught that excessive pride was a sinful thing and maybe my superiors were right. However, I can't help it. Anyone else with similar success stories feel the same way. Am I a bad person for admiring all the muscles I've earned from my hard labor?

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hell no! After all you worked very hard for them. I do it too:) I have never seen my body look like this so I am in awe when I look in the mirror! Sometimes I don't even recognize myself and do a doubletake. My feeling is I earned that pride and I worked hard yes I am not ashamed I look at myself or poke n prod myself its like just discovering your body or something. I have always been overweight from 8 on. And I never had my body transform like this so its pretty dang awesome.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    ready4_50 wrote: »
    Am I a bad person for admiring all the muscles I've earned from my hard labor?

Nah... not bad, I get it. Just don't go posing in the mirror at the gym between sets, because that's obnoxious! ha

Your muscle development is new and different, so sure you're intrigued by it. Eventually you'll plateau and it won't be new and you'll feel less inclined to spend so much time in the mirror.

Congratulations on the gains!

• for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reassurance, y'all. Feisty, I do find myself posing in the mirror between sets. Fortunately, I work out in my company gym and there are really only 2 other people in the whole company that use it. I tell myself I do it to measure progress............to go along with taking selfies too.

As for the plateau, that's a fear of mine. I think that if I plateau, I'll lose my desire and go back to what I was and that's not what I want. Oh well, I guess there are far worse problems to have. At least I'm very healthy, can't say the same thing for a lot of other cats close to my age.