can you spot steroid users? Which hollywood actors do you think use them?

Options
Just wondering what the giveaway signs are. I see in a lot of Hollywood movies these days, some physiques look a bit too much, when compared to male leads from movies before steroids e.g. compare Hugh Jackman as Wovlerine to Kirk Douglas in Spartacus. Or Daniel Craig as Bond vs Sean Connery (who even had an unwaxed chest!)

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Woody Allen for sure.
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I can see this going down well...
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I don't know about steroids though I'm sure some use them, but HGH use is huge in Hollywood and not just those with amazing physiques. Its one of the main products from "anti-aging" clinics I believe.

But, before you indict any actor with using steroids or HGH (and really, who cares if they do) the training they put in is completely different than actors even 30-40 years ago, to say nothing of even farther back.

Read up on what Jason Statham's workout routine was like during the Transporter films era. It was seriously pro athlete level. I would assume Hugh Jackman's for Wolverine was similar in intensity.

The Rock is another example, sure he was an athlete and is there a chance he's used something of course, he was a pro wrestler, but he also is another workout warrior.

When you need/want to look a certain way for a role and can afford to have the best train you, best help you with nutrition, and all the time to focus on training you'd be amazed at what can be done.

Training for most guys back in Douglas or Connery's day was nothing like this at all, even in 1950 when Connery was Mr. Universe (and he was pretty ripped) to say nothing of 12 years later (or more) during the Bond movies.

• boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Who cares.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    Just wondering what the giveaway signs are. I see in a lot of Hollywood movies these days, some physiques look a bit too much, when compared to male leads from movies before steroids e.g. compare Hugh Jackman as Wovlerine to Kirk Douglas in Spartacus. Or Daniel Craig as Bond vs Sean Connery (who even had an unwaxed chest!)

to much? to much for what? for your sensabilities?
    fortunately none of them care about your opinion since you aren't paying them millions.

I defer to @boomshakalaka911 's response
    "who cares"
  • ovidnine
    Options
    Who cares.

slowclap.gif

• hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    ovidnine wrote: »
    Who cares.

slowclap.gif

who cares? anyone who doesn't appreciate being misled or cheated. You could say 'who cares' about what Lance Armstrong did (the thicker end of the wedge certainly, but the same wedge). When Men's Health run an article on how Jackman got in shape for Wolverine, you would hope that it is truthful and if steroids were used this would be stated. Packing on 26lb of muscle in the 6 month gap between Les Miserables and Wolverine seems a bit suspect.

I don't care if an individual takes steroids, but I would ask that if they are making their living through competitive sport or their physique, that they be honest about it.

• ovidnine
    Options
    If you want to compare competitive athletes where using PEDs is banned by their sport to Hollywood actors (or ever fitness models) who look good to get paid, I can't really help you. Its two different worlds.

A pro athlete is never going to admit to PED use while active because that would result in their being banned from their sport. Sort of self-defeating I'd think.

And is it possibly misleading? I guess if you think "Hey if I do this I can look like X", but since PEDs are illegal without a Dr.'s prescription (something a lot of actors can probably get true) most people aren't comfortable talking openly about using something that is technically illegal. (Also, this doesn't take into account the genetics aspect of things. Certain people are just going to be able to get stronger/go faster/be fitter no matter what.)

That's one of the things that's so refreshing about Mark Bell, he's open and honest about his PED use. He doesn't push it, but he doesn't deny it.

I can't train like a pro athlete or even an actor or fitness model. I'm never going to look like them because I simply can't (nor have the interest) of putting in that kind of time. It doesn't shake me much if amateurs are using PEDs to get their physiques unless they are explicitly saying they are natural.

Even then, I don't really care all that much because I'm doing this for me, not to compare myself to an actor or youtube persona.

• Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Can't say I've ever looked at one particular hollywood actor and thought to myself "steroids". But I am quite astounded when an actor completely recomps their body for a lead role. Like how frail Christian Bale made himself for his role in The Machinist in 2004 and then completely bulked up for Batman Begins a year later. Or Jake Gyllenhaal going from Nightcrawler to how ripped he was in SouthPaw. I just assume with the right amount of support team around you, nutritionists, trainers etc anything is possible even in short periods of time.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Who cares.

slowclap.gif

who cares? anyone who doesn't appreciate being misled or cheated. You could say 'who cares' about what Lance Armstrong did (the thicker end of the wedge certainly, but the same wedge). When Men's Health run an article on how Jackman got in shape for Wolverine, you would hope that it is truthful and if steroids were used this would be stated. Packing on 26lb of muscle in the 6 month gap between Les Miserables and Wolverine seems a bit suspect.

I don't care if an individual takes steroids, but I would ask that if they are making their living through competitive sport or their physique, that they be honest about it.

So do you also think all celebrities should itemize their plastic surgeries, hair extensions, eyebrow waxes, veneers, etc? I don't see how it is cheating to not announce this stuff even if you're detailing your workouts. It's not taking anything from the reader and it's up to readers to take everything with a grain of salt, so to speak.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I don't know about steroids though I'm sure some use them, but HGH use is huge in Hollywood and not just those with amazing physiques. Its one of the main products from "anti-aging" clinics I believe.

But, before you indict any actor with using steroids or HGH (and really, who cares if they do) the training they put in is completely different than actors even 30-40 years ago, to say nothing of even farther back.

Read up on what Jason Statham's workout routine was like during the Transporter films era. It was seriously pro athlete level. I would assume Hugh Jackman's for Wolverine was similar in intensity.

The Rock is another example, sure he was an athlete and is there a chance he's used something of course, he was a pro wrestler, but he also is another workout warrior.

When you need/want to look a certain way for a role and can afford to have the best train you, best help you with nutrition, and all the time to focus on training you'd be amazed at what can be done.

Training for most guys back in Douglas or Connery's day was nothing like this at all, even in 1950 when Connery was Mr. Universe (and he was pretty ripped) to say nothing of 12 years later (or more) during the Bond movies.

The single reason these actors are able to workout at the intensity you describe at their advanced age (mid to late 40s, some even older) is BECAUSE of the compounds they are taking, plain and simple. Steroids enables that, its rather a matter of genetic potential.
    If you look back to the bodybuilders of the pre Arnold days and look at their height/weight ratios, (its assumed they were natural), you can get a real GOOD idea of similar genetic potential, and anybody that exceeds that but vast amounts is "probably" taking peds. Not scientific, but common sense.

As one poster said for Jackman, 26lbs gained in tissue over a few months at 45yrd old, yeah right, not natural at all if he has any training experience whatsoever.

Dont even get me started on the Rock, hes taking so much gear its laughable.. or Stallone, as so many others.
    It only matters, because they are "selling" us something and its a lie. Just likr so many of the "youtube nattys", they want you to subscribe to the belief that you can look like them without gear, when in fact they are using.

A good article from Lyle McDonald on genetic potential and the expected muscle mass gains (per year) for different levels of training exp. The article has other models as well. For someone who has 4+years training exp, the most you can expect to gain in a year is up to 2lbs.
    Unless you are a snowflake, which I dont believe.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html/
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Who cares.

slowclap.gif

You do realize that Jackman was on a insane diet like 4 to 6k cals (can't remember) and insane workout program created by some on the top trainers Hollywood money can buy? That was his job. To eat food and workout. I believe he did 2 a days.

Even if he was using HGH. I could care less. Lol @ thinking Men's **Health** should state steroid usage.... Oh lawd.... Liability.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Hollywood actors will use EVERYTHING advantage at their disposal to keep them working or in the limelight. It's based on physical looks more than actual acting ability. Why do you think females over 40 have a hard time getting roles now?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • scottver2
    scottver2 Posts: 53 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I think that (and this may offend people) 80% or more of professional sports players use performance enhancing drugs. As far as Hollywood goes, I have no idea. I do know that no matter what your genetic potential is, anyone above the age of 35 who packs on 20+ lbs of muscle and reduces bodyfat, from an already amazing start point (the rock and jackman) is definitely suspect. But, who cares, they are actors!

I make the statement about professional athletes because no matter what skill level, diet, trainer, etc. is involved, as someone ages they should not be able to out perform (physically) younger individuals. But again, if everyone is taking PD's, it's now not fair to the athlete who is not. Someone mentioned Lance Armstrong earlier...the reason he got caught is because someone who did get caught told on him to lessen his own punishment, or out of spite. The point is, the whole cycling team was using, as was every other team...

And, why would someone admit to using steriods in an interview? Especially an athlete...they are controlled substances that are prescribed for a myriad of reasons, but not to improve performance (Unless normal performance is severely hindered by physiological reasons). That would be the same as an actor or sports player admitting to using drugs...don't think that's gonna happen.
  • ovidnine
    Options
    @arb037 Oh no, you're totally right, its very likely that someone like Jackman was if for no other reason than to handle the training load he was under.

I just don't worry about it because it doesn't effect my life one way or another. lol
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

You will never...*ever*...see any mainstream fitness rag disclose PED/AAS usage, for two most obvious reasons I can think of:

1) Liability.

2) Fitness rags are nothing more than supplement advertisements/catalogs with a few junk articles thrown in. The advertisers want you to believe that those people in the glossy pictures got their physiques from taking MegaMonsterDymaTest6000 or UltimateInsaneFatTorcher2500. They want you to buy those supplements, and when they don't work (which they won't), they want you to turn the page and buy SuperSteroDbolComplex1500. Lather, rinse and repeat. Those advertisers pay the magazines big bucks to hawk their snake oils, and they don't want you or anybody else to know that those huge muscles and rippling abs came from mass quantities of anabolic steroids, hormones, etc.

Athletes/competitors will never disclose AAS usage, for three obvious reasons I can think of:

1) It's illegal in the US. It could get them and their doctors/dealers arrested.

2) It's banned in most sports and would result in them being suspended/disqualified.

3) The ones who have multi-million endorsement contracts with supplement companies aren't going to tell you that those supplements are useless and their physique came from steroids.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The primary reason that I see the question as completely legit is that I see so many people get frustrated and give up because they don't get the results they are led to believe they can get with the Hollywood lie. Everyone is looking for magic. If I buy this supplement, if I buy this boot camp DVD, if I go on the juice. Eating like an adult and exercising like a child has stood the test of time for health and fitness, but is won't make you look like the rock. Google old time strongmen and see what a non-juiced very strong men look like. Impressive? Definitely but not like Hollywood.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I truly don't care if somebody safely uses steroids. Actors that take on certain roles where their figure is a part of the role don't always have the year or two it takes to do it naturally, so they get with a trainer, train their *kitten* off, and take PED's. I think some of the old-school issues related to steroid use are false or at the very least much over-stated. Look how many legal prescriptions have serious, albeit low probability, risks of taking them. Why are steroid different? Why don't we question alcohol the same way? Hell, state by state is legalizing marijuana for recreational use, by 2020 it's not unlikely marijuana will be legal everywhere. Is that better/worse than steroids?

Athletes... in professional sports in the USA I do think that illegal steroid use should be governed only because all players are held by the same standard. At the same time I think we should all get over this issue and let people work with their doctor on safe dosage and cycling. I am not opposed to TRT as some men's hypothalamus just doesn't work well and even in a man's 30's low-T can appear and athletes should not be banned for TRT usage.

NOW, look at international competition and I'm going to say that steroids for US athletes should NOT be illegal because other countries do not prevent their players from using them, they do not have this bad stigma around them.
    If I buy this supplement, if I buy this boot camp DVD, if I go on the juice. Eating like an adult and exercising like a child has stood the test of time for health and fitness, but is won't make you look like the rock.

You are right about that, but at the same time people should have the decent sense to understand that actors are paid to be a certain way and their appearance is a huge part of it. Personal accountability is pretty low in this country.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Who cares.

slowclap.gif

they are movie stars. They are paid to look a certain way at a certain time. They aren't competing- how could you even begin to compare them?
    I just assume with the right amount of support team around you, nutritionists, trainers and steady supply of the right pharm etc anything is possible even in short periods of time.

Fixed.
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Christian Bale was the most obvious. Even had the roidrages on set. I read something that how many veins you can see is a good giveaway for hGH users.