Carbs-does refined matter?

Options
msstatz
msstatz Posts: 163 Member
Just curious. I know the whole discussions people have had about sugars from fruits and veggies vs. refined sugars. I know a lot of people (me included) that say going over in natural sugars really isn't that big of a deal because they are natural. What do you all think of refund carbs vs carbs in fruits and veggies? Is it ok to go over in carbs if they are "natural"? Any opinions?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I think what matters more than anything is whether or not you're burning that fuel. I worried a lot more about carbs when I was sedentary and didn't work out. I did great with that when I wasn't working out. Now I lift and run and do a whole bunch of other stuff and I eat all the carbs.

Rule number one for me is getting my nutrition in my food...so lots of veg, fruit, lean proteins and healthy fats. Beyond that, I do what I want and then I bust my *kitten*.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I think what matters more than anything is whether or not you're burning that fuel. I worried a lot more about carbs when I was sedentary and didn't work out. I did great with that when I wasn't working out. Now I lift and run and do a whole bunch of other stuff and I eat all the carbs.

Rule number one for me is getting my nutrition in my food...so lots of veg, fruit, lean proteins and healthy fats. Beyond that, I do what I want and then I bust my *kitten*.

^ This. Honestly, the people I see argue most vehemently against sugar and refined carbs seem to lead rather sedentary lives. I run for beer and ice cream and my approach works quite well for me.
  • msstatz
    msstatz Posts: 163 Member
    Options

^ This. Honestly, the people I see argue most vehemently against sugar and refined carbs seem to lead rather sedentary lives. I run for beer and ice cream and my approach works quite well for me.

I agree with both of you. I work out 6 days a week and I eat extremely healthy. I've kinda come to the conclusion that at long as I am eating healthy and working out hard (and maintaining my weight), I will continue to eat the way I have been. Thanks for the input!
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Lol

That's great." I run for beer and ice cream"

You sound like my bro who has completed iron man and many marathons. Frequently he scoffs fish and chips and today I saw him inhale a McDonald's breakfast (which looked gross!!)

To each his/her own.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Lol

That's great." I run for beer and ice cream"

You sound like my bro who has completed iron man and many marathons. Frequently he scoffs fish and chips and today I saw him inhale a McDonald's breakfast (which looked gross!!)

To each his/her own.

The fact that he completes iron man and marathon means he can literally eat whatever he wants. He needs the energy!

As long as it fits your macros it is fine. You can overdose on healthy foods also. Eating 10 apples a day gives you about 220g of carbs. One or two apples a day is fine along with other balanced fruits and veg. People can have ice cream as well as long as it fits within your macros. Most people can't control themselves to allow only 80g of ice cream and have to eat more though.

Koing
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature

What does "natural" have to do with anything. White sugar is sucrose grown in sugar cane or beet in fields. Seems natural to me.

"Refined" is a broadly meaningless term. I know what a sugar refinery does in detail and you can take it from me that the sucrose going in the front is the same sucrose coming out the back, minus some molasses that's been removed and sold separately. It's also the same sucrose molecule as makes up half the sugars in an orange, if that helps.

I wouldn't waste time with arbitrary ill-defined and often emotionally based distinctions like this - look at calories and/or macronutrients as your body can't differentiate a molecule's life history by the time it's in your bloodstream.