Body Recomp Advice please.

Options
Hi every one :]

My trainer has suggested I Recomp. I am 5'2, 125 lbs and have stubborn fat I want to lose. At the moment, I am 'wobbly' or as people like to call it "Skinny fat" yet technically a healthy weight.

I am new to the whole idea of recomp - I did read the post here but there were quite a lot of complicated explanations for me! I need it simplified, basically.

My understanding is this:

My maintenance calories based on my sedentary lifestyle and current weight - 1590 calories.

On weight training days, I add 15% to my MC = 1828 to eat (obviously protein based is a plus!)

On non-weight training days, I reduce my MC by 10% = 1431 to eat

My questions are:

Am I right in thinking I will NOT gain weight by doing this?
my weekly maintenance calories should add up to 11,130 - but if I lift weights 4 times a week and eat 10% below maintenance the other 3, my weekly calories add up to 11,605 .. So technically I'd be in a surplus?

-What sort of weight training routines would be useful to follow and how long should each session last

-I'm assuming I step away from the scale and take monthly measurements?

- Can I still fit in my cardio training whilst in recomp? Will this be done on my non weight training days

Thank you - like I said, I'm new to this whole idea but feel, since I'm healthy weight-wise, this is the way to go.

Replies

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    This thread is very helpful and anyone there can answer your questions.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat#latest

Start at the beginning and read thru; should be able to help.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Assuming your maintenance is correct, you shouldn't gain weight.
    In fact, you may still lose weight in the first couple of weeks until you find your true TDEE (i did, then upped my maintenance by another 100 cals or so until i stayed the same).

I do Stronglifts 5x5 3 times a week (which is pretty effective) which for me lasts about 30 mins http://stronglifts.com/ and i also run 3 times a weeks for 30 mins.
    I tend to do my Cardio and Weight training on separate days....but that's just my personal preference.
    You can take monthly measurements and weigh yourself once or twice a month (just to keep an eye on things :) ).
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    In fact, you may still lose weight in the first couple of weeks until you find your true TDEE (i did, then upped my maintenance by another 100 cals or so until i stayed the same).

I do Stronglifts 5x5 3 times a week (which is pretty effective) which for me lasts about 30 mins http://stronglifts.com/ and i also run 3 times a weeks for 30 mins.
    I tend to do my Cardio and Weight training on separate days....but that's just my personal preference.
    You can take monthly measurements and weigh yourself once or twice a month (just to keep an eye on things :) ).

Do I need to eat more on weight training days? Or can I just stick at maintenance calories from now onwards every day? There is conflicting information about this so i'm not 100% sure what I'm supposed to be eating on training days. It would be a lot easier to have a standard number to aim for :)

I have a fitbit flex which is set to monitor my TDEE (so really useful!).

Basically - I eat at maintenance and lift heavy. Incorporate cardio as and when I feel like it? :)

Thanks a lot
  • 19gabriela01
    19gabriela01 Posts: 2,090 Member
    Options
    I think you should never eat at deficit. If you work out with weights and increase their weight you should eat more so your muscles can grow and as they grow they need more energy to maintain so you will loose fat easier.
    And about workout routines... don't have a routine. Try to do as many different things as possible so you involve every muscle in your body.
    And definitely don't skip cardio. It's good for your mind, heart and respiratory system and you are not loosing muscle mass while doing it.

That's my little advice. Not professional but I just said what works me.

Hope you have a nice day. You looks gorgeous :)
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

My maintenance calories based on my sedentary lifestyle and current weight - 1590 calories.

How did you calculate this? That sounds really low to me. Is this MFP calorie calculator? Weight lifting calories are very hard to calculate. You may be better off going with a TDEE calculator (you will not eat your exercise calories back). Input your information here - including how many hours a week you exercise: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

On weight training days, I add 15% to my MC = 1828 to eat (obviously protein based is a plus!)

Calorie cycling is not required. You can if you want but don't have to.

My questions are:

my weekly maintenance calories should add up to 11,130 - but if I lift weights 4 times a week and eat 10% below maintenance the other 3, my weekly calories add up to 11,605 .. So technically I'd be in a surplus?

-What sort of weight training routines would be useful to follow and how long should each session last

Are you new to weight lifting? If so I would suggest following a full body routine 3 times a week.

Take measurements and weigh yourself. The idea is to not gain or lose weight but to lose body fat. You may need to increase your calories as your body fat lowers.

- Can I still fit in my cardio training whilst in recomp? Will this be done on my non weight training days

Yes.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    I think you should never eat at deficit. If you work out with weights and increase their weight you should eat more so your muscles can grow and as they grow they need more energy to maintain so you will loose fat easier.
    And about workout routines... don't have a routine. Try to do as many different things as possible so you involve every muscle in your body.
    And definitely don't skip cardio. It's good for your mind, heart and respiratory system and you are not loosing muscle mass while doing it.

That's my little advice. Not professional but I just said what works me.

Hope you have a nice day. You looks gorgeous :)

Thank you so, so much for this! :)
    You are also GORGEOUS!
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

How did you calculate this? That sounds really low to me. Is this MFP calorie calculator? Weight lifting calories are very hard to calculate. You may be better off going with a TDEE calculator (you will not eat your exercise calories back). Input your information here - including how many hours a week you exercise: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

My questions are:

Are you new to weight lifting? If so I would suggest following a full body routine 3 times a week.

Take measurements and weigh yourself. The idea is to not gain or lose weight but to lose body fat. You may need to increase your calories as your body fat lowers.

Yes.

So helpful, thank you.

My TDEE was calculated based on MFP - I'm very sedentary (office job full time) and I work out 4 times a week. Shall I use the scooby method and manually input my maintenance calories onto MFP?

I also wear a fitbit to make sure which is good!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Do I need to eat more on weight training days? Or can I just stick at maintenance calories from now onwards every day? There is conflicting information about this so i'm not 100% sure what I'm supposed to be eating on training days. It would be a lot easier to have a standard number to aim for :)
    Tbh, my TDEE is 2000 cals a day and i basically stick to that regardless (as it includes my exercise cals as well).
    Some people say it's benificial to increase your Protein on lifting days, but again i think that's down to personal preference.
    I just try to eat around 0.8 x my weight in pounds every day. (i.e 0.8 x 128lbs = 102grams Protein).

You can use the scooby method or this calculator (which i used) http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/ just to get an approximation of what your TDEE might be.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options

Tbh, my TDEE is 2000 cals a day and i basically stick to that regardless (as it includes my exercise cals as well).
    Some people say it's benificial to increase your Protein on lifting days, but again i think that's down to personal preference.
    I just try to eat around 0.8 x my weight in pounds every day. (i.e 0.8 x 128lbs = 102grams Protein).

You can use the scooby method or this calculator (which i used) http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/ just to get an approximation of what your TDEE might be.

Fantastic - thank you so much.
    I'm starting the recomp from tomorrow, so time to get heavy lifting! I'll update :D
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My advice would be don't over-complicate something that can be remarkably simple....

Eat enough calories over the course of a week to roughly keep your weight in your maintenance range and train hard.

To be honest the rest is just noise. TDEE method or MFP method is personal preference. Fitbit or not - pretty irrelevant. How you work out your initial calorie goal pretty irrelevant as you will probably have to adjust over time anyway. This is a long term process so make it sustainable and enjoyable and not a restrictive chore.

Agree with advice that if you are a relative beginner lifting three times a week full body with a routine based around big compound lifts. But also make it something enjoyable and challenging. My preference for cardio (of a kind you enjoy) on non-lifting days.

Photos and measurements monthly can be useful to track subtle changes.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    This thread is very helpful and anyone there can answer your questions.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat#latest

Start at the beginning and read thru; should be able to help.

If you haven't read this yet, read it. This is a MUST read.
    bioklutz wrote: »

My questions are:

Yes.

So helpful, thank you.

My TDEE was calculated based on MFP - I'm very sedentary (office job full time) and I work out 4 times a week. Shall I use the scooby method and manually input my maintenance calories onto MFP?

I also wear a fitbit to make sure which is good!

The answers given are good.
    You however make a mistake, MFP does not calculate TDEE, you need a different calculator for that.
    MFP calculates NEAT, and requires you to log exercise separately.

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure and includes BMR, Activity and Exercise. This is the amount of calories you burn in a day.
    When eating at TDEE it calculates your weekly calories and eat the same amount every day regardless if you exercised or not.
    I am not sure if and how you can track TDEE calories in combination with a fitbit.
    A lot of people choose TDEE for its simplicity. You can just use the MFP method if you prefer. Do keep in mind that you NEED to eat back exercise calories.

As to calorie consumption, eat maintenance as you don't want to gain or lose weight.
    As I understand recomp; to remain the same weight with less fat you need more muscle weight. The only way to build muscle is in a calorie surplus. That would however lead to weightgain. I think, that in recomp, you burn fat and use those extra calories that were stored in the fat to create the surplus needed to build muscle. This however is a very slow process. It could take 12-18 months if not more.
    If you properly track calories, there is zero chance of gaining weight.

As already stated, if you are new to lifting the best thing to do is to follow a beginner full body lifting program that includes progressive overload.
    These programs all explain the number of training days, what weights to use, how many sets, reps, etc.
    some of the recommended programs are:
    -Stronglifts 5x5
    - Starting strength
    - ICF 5x5
    - New rules for lifting (women, or any of the others)
    - Strong curves

Most programs are around 3x a week. It is okay to do some cardio, preferably on your non lifting days. Not too much though, as cardio can limit your muscle growth.

Measurements and pics are most likely the best way to see progress, as you want your weight to stay the same.
    Weighing however is helpfull to see if you need to adjust your calorie intake. (Do keep natural fluctuations in mind. Especially after weight training your muscles will hold on to water to recover.)
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If you have been at a deficit I would consider a slower transition to maintenance, instead of adding an additional 250-500 calories per day in one shot. This would also help with a little more weight/fat loss. Regardless start building up your weight lifting program, full-body (30-45 minutes per session) 3x a week is great. Even if you're initially lifting at a slight deficit, you will build needed core strength.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    My advice would be don't over-complicate something that can be remarkably simple....

Eat enough calories over the course of a week to roughly keep your weight in your maintenance range and train hard.

To be honest the rest is just noise. TDEE method or MFP method is personal preference. Fitbit or not - pretty irrelevant. How you work out your initial calorie goal pretty irrelevant as you will probably have to adjust over time anyway. This is a long term process so make it sustainable and enjoyable and not a restrictive chore.

Agree with advice that if you are a relative beginner lifting three times a week full body with a routine based around big compound lifts. But also make it something enjoyable and challenging. My preference for cardio (of a kind you enjoy) on non-lifting days.

Photos and measurements monthly can be useful to track subtle changes.

Spot on - thank you. Appreciate this.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    Amazing, useful advice from everyone. Thank you for making this a lot more straightforward than it originally seemed. Looking forward to getting started :)
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question @PinkPixiexox. I'm also just starting recomp, have read some of the recomp thread but it's very long now and I found this much easier to follow - so thank you all
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi every one :]

My trainer has suggested I Recomp. I am 5'2, 125 lbs and have stubborn fat I want to lose. At the moment, I am 'wobbly' or as people like to call it "Skinny fat" yet technically a healthy weight.

I am new to the whole idea of recomp - I did read the post here but there were quite a lot of complicated explanations for me! I need it simplified, basically.

My understanding is this:

My questions are:

Thank you - like I said, I'm new to this whole idea but feel, since I'm healthy weight-wise, this is the way to go.

A-Why not use the TDEE method? No need to make things complicated. Factor in your exercise, eat the same amount of calories every day or bank as you see fit. You will not gain weight. It's maintenance.

B-I like a strength training routine that includes a bit of accessory/hypertrophy work as well. I really loved running a program called PHUL in maintenance, but if you prefer a 3 day split-Ice Cream Fitness is basically 5x5 with added accessory work. You could also just run SL 5x5, Starting Strength, or something like New Rules of Lifting for Women as well.

C-Do some cardio, sure. However much you want to do to keep your TDEE where you prefer. I did none during my recomp because I hate it. I also wanted my calories to go toward fueling my muscle, so even if you like cardio-I personally would suggest not to over do it.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    Thank you for posting this question @PinkPixiexox. I'm also just starting recomp, have read some of the recomp thread but it's very long now and I found this much easier to follow - so thank you all

I agree... The other thread has grown rather long and is hard to follow. I've wondered this about calorie cycling: If muscle repair happens the day AFTER you lift, then wouldn't you want the higher cal days on the rest days? That is, if timing really mattered that much (I'm dubious). All to say, keeping it simple with TDEE sounds the most logical to me. I'm not an expert.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

I agree... The other thread has grown rather long and is hard to follow. I've wondered this about calorie cycling: If muscle repair happens the day AFTER you lift, then wouldn't you want the higher cal days on the rest days? That is, if timing really mattered that much (I'm dubious). All to say, keeping it simple with TDEE sounds the most logical to me. I'm not an expert.

Really, try one way and see how it works. If you can't manage you hunger well, mix it up.
    Some people like to eat more on lifting days because they perform better on higher calorie days. Others find they are starving on recovery days and prefer to eat more then. I follow TDEE and eat approx. the same every day. It works for me. There is no wrong way, as long as your weight is doing what you want it to.
  • wannabf1t
    wannabf1t Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have the same stats as you and i'm maintaining between 1950-2030 average cals. I lift four days a week (PHUL) and no cardio.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    wannabf1t wrote: »
    I have the same stats as you and i'm maintaining between 1950-2030 average cals. I lift four days a week (PHUL) and no cardio.

Thanks for this.

Do you have a very sedentary job? I'm sitting down all day and struggle to get 6000 daily steps! My fitbit has my TDEE at around 1700 with the weight lifting. I've stopped the cardio.