1/2 marathon in one week and not ready.

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    fbinsc wrote: »
    I think its totally doable...race day atmosphere will get you a couple of extra miles just with the aid stations and crowd support. Go slower and you can run further, don't let the race start push you into going out too fast.

Is that something you can get in a bottle? Do they market that like get skinny quick pills?

OP this is a bad idea. There is no reason you HAVE. To run the race. If for some reason it's a group thing plan to walk more than you run. But I don't see it ending well in any situation.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ok, now that I've put forward a "it depends" answer, I'd like to cover my a$s and state that what I really want to say is NO.

The main reason I want to say NO is that, if I were to put myself in the OP's shoes, and place such a question on this forum, I would want someone to challenge me and suggest that I probably do not know my body well enough or I wouldn't be asking the question in the first place. I would want someone to point out that I'm thinking with my HEART not my HEAD, as evidenced by post number 1. That's not a good place from which to make a wise go / no-go decision regardless of the situation.

But, in case the OP decided to go ahead despite all advice, I wanted to back MM up on his run-walk suggestion (excellent idea) and also make clear that the OP should avoid looking to build fitness at this late stage. It's far too late to build fitness. Even if uninjured it would be too late - at this point only a week before only taper/race prep makes sense now.

PS OP: I exacerbated a hamstring tightness issue while on holidays and had to drive from Montana to Vancouver BC via Seattle and was in pain the entire time. It's no fun at all being stuck in a vehicle for *very* long time if merely sitting causes you pain. Think hard about that before deciding what to do.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    To risk aggravating an injury for what, a finisher's trinket and a t-shirt?
  • mwyvr
    Options
    There is swag? Well of course, run it! (just kidding)

Not that it matters, 100% of the races I've entered this year have zero swag.

It's the OP's first half. I get that as motivation. I doubt the swag has anything to do with it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

It's the OP's first half. I get that as motivation. I doubt the swag has anything to do with it.

dvdx3yxf5x9x.jpg

I get the whole "challenge" thing, I really do. I do best with a HUGE, hard to achieve goal. There is a time to push yourself, there is a time to play it smart. I've had under prepared races where I finished, while feeling totally and utterly crushed (I do not recommend). I've had beyond miserable races I've pushed though. I've also had back pain. I don't mess with back pain.
    I would vote, like most of the others, that this is the time to play it smart and not do it.

• mwyvr
    Options
    dvdx3yxf5x9x.jpg

So good.

Just say no!

Photograph_of_Mrs._Reagan_speaking_at_a_%22Just_Say_No%22_Rally_in_Los_Angeles_-_NARA_-_198584.jpg
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    My philosophy is don't mess with back injuries. I understand how disappointed you must be. I had to bail out of a Spartan race earlier this year. I'd trained for solidly for months and got sick in the days before it with a chest infection. I was super bummed but I couldn't breathe properly on the couch let alone carrying a sandbag up a hill coveted in mud in winter. It sucked I couldn't race with my team but that's life. There's always another race.

It's possible you could do intervals the whole way and be fine. Or you could do more significant damage that could sideline you for months or years. It's your call.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half in May and dealt with lower back pain (disc compression/SI joint issues/spasms) for the final month leading up to the race. I had twice weekly chiropractic adjustments, did tons of stretching, bought an inversion table and used it religiously, and kept running as much as I could handle. Although my chiropractor strongly advised against it, I did the race anyhow.

Because my training had been somewhat sidelined by back pain, I didn't have enough practice with fueling and hydrating on long runs and ended up essentially bonking around the 10th mile and doing run/walk intervals for the final 5K. I had done a couple 10-13 mile runs in training but not enough to really figure out how to push past the wall. After the race, I was incredibly frustrated with my performance and didn't feel that awesome sense of post-race satisfaction. Because I didn't allow my back to heal properly, my gait changed and I developed IT band issues and recurring knee pain and dealt with those all summer.

In hindsight, I regret pushing myself to run that half. My performance was disappointing and I ended up with other injuries I could have avoided had I listened to my body and my doctor instead of my stubborn heart.

OP, since you're conflicted enough to pose your question on this forum, I believe you already know the correct answer but don't really want to accept it. Perhaps it would be helpful to register for a different half taking place a few months from now.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Did you injure your back in the first place from running? (If so, then your answer is already clear: don't do the event. Go cheer instead.).

Yes my injury was caused from one of my long runs, I was running on adrenaline rush and did too much too fast and couldn't walk for a week and my lower back is still tender 3wks later.
    Did running your 6 miles make matters worse (then NO, don't do the event), or did you pull up intentionally to avoid problems? (wise).

It was definitely hard to run it cause I lost a lot of training but it didn't cause me any pain so I figured I must be healed up.
    Older and wiser now my objective is always to avoid injury, but if I do have an issue, I don't want to make it worse. It's just not worth it because as others have said, there is *always* another event. If you simply don't know whether run-walking the event will make your injury worse or cause re-injury, then IMO you should assume that it will injure you and therefore skip the event..

Ya my head is.telling me no, but Im having a hard time accepting that answer.

- do not try to run race pace. Stick to your training pace. Finishing without injuring yourself is the key for this event if you determine it wise to proceed.

- Skip the 9 mile walk. You will get zero training benefit, this close to the race. Walk, yes, no doubt you've been told that's good for your back, but make the walks much shorter.

- Dial everything down and focus on being as well rested as possible. Maybe practice your run-walk approach to stay limber and be ready for event day, but keep those sessions short. Again you aren't trying to improve your fitness now, that ship has already sailed.

- Do whatever else you are to do to promote healing. Get rest. Hydrate. Eat properly.

Finally make a sane sane go / no-go decision using your head, not your heart, and have fun either way. If you decide to forgo running the event, go cheer!
    Good advice. I'll have to see how I'm feeling by end of week and see if I'll do the 1/2, I may jus go for the 10k (they have 2 runs that day, a half or a 10k, but I am signed up and paid for the 1/2,)
  • cocolo89
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My philosophy is don't mess with back injuries. I understand how disappointed you must be. I had to bail out of a Spartan race earlier this year. I'd trained for solidly for months and got sick in the days before it with a chest infection. I was super bummed but I couldn't breathe properly on the couch let alone carrying a sandbag up a hill coveted in mud in winter. It sucked I couldn't race with my team but that's life. There's always another race.

It's possible you could do intervals the whole way and be fine. Or you could do more significant damage that could sideline you for months or years. It's your call.

Eek ya that's what worries me, wouldn't want to be bed ridden again. I have 3 small kiddos that won't let me rest, even during my time where I was unable to walk, I had to crawl around the house cause I had no help with kids and I'm sure that Played a part as to why recovery took longer..
  • cocolo89
    edited October 2015
    Options

dvdx3yxf5x9x.jpg

I get the whole "challenge" thing, I really do. I do best with a HUGE, hard to achieve goal. There is a time to push yourself, there is a time to play it smart. I've had under prepared races where I finished, while feeling totally and utterly crushed (I do not recommend). I've had beyond miserable races I've pushed though. I've also had back pain. I don't mess with back pain.
    I would vote, like most of the others, that this is the time to play it smart and not do it.

Heck.ya. There's a.finisher medal and tshirt. I don't want to miss that!!! Plus free food ;))

Well. The more I read feedbacks, the more I think it's probably better to sit it out. I can't deal with another injury. It was far worse then labor and ive had 3 kids!!! My youngest is 9 months old so I definitey haven't forgotten it lol
  • cocolo89
    Options
    ephiemarie wrote: »
    I ran my first half in May and dealt with lower back pain (disc compression/SI joint issues/spasms) for the final month leading up to the race. I had twice weekly chiropractic adjustments, did tons of stretching, bought an inversion table and used it religiously, and kept running as much as I could handle. Although my chiropractor strongly advised against it, I did the race anyhow.

Because my training had been somewhat sidelined by back pain, I didn't have enough practice with fueling and hydrating on long runs and ended up essentially bonking around the 10th mile and doing run/walk intervals for the final 5K. I had done a couple 10-13 mile runs in training but not enough to really figure out how to push past the wall. After the race, I was incredibly frustrated with my performance and didn't feel that awesome sense of post-race satisfaction. Because I didn't allow my back to heal properly, my gait changed and I developed IT band issues and recurring knee pain and dealt with those all summer.

In hindsight, I regret pushing myself to run that half. My performance was disappointing and I ended up with other injuries I could have avoided had I listened to my body and my doctor instead of my stubborn heart.

OP, since you're conflicted enough to pose your question on this forum, I believe you already know the correct answer but don't really want to accept it. Perhaps it would be helpful to register for a different half taking place a few months from now.

I keep swaying my answer. A week ago I was saying no I am not going to do it, this week I'm feeling better and I feel like I might go for it but it's probably not a good idea. The more responses I read the more it sways me back to "No don't do it". I'm going to pickup the packet Fri and decide Saturday night. I.may just do the 10k cause I'm pretty sure I can handle it. I've been doing a lot.of 5-6 milers and other then the fact that I'm.slower than before, it hasn't bothered my back. I took the plunge and did a run/walk 8miler, I'm feeling pretty good so far but my last spasm didn't come until 2 days after my 9milers racepace run. Big mistake doing that one racepace and I jumped from 7 miles to 9 miles without adding intervals to build up :/ i guess we live and learn. But I definitely appreciate your input and experience. Very similar to what I'm dealing with
  • mwyvr
    edited October 2015
    Options
    cocolo89 wrote: »
    Did you injure your back in the first place from running? (If so, then your answer is already clear: don't do the event. Go cheer instead.).

Yes my injury was caused from one of my long runs, I was running on adrenaline rush and did too much too fast and couldn't walk for a week and my lower back is still tender 3wks later.

Ok that puts proper perspective on things. Your injury was as a result of a training failure / over-exuberance which resulted in a serious injury with significant impact on your life. There's no reason to believe the outcome will be different next weekend given the underlying factors are all exactly the same, but worse -- you've already suffered, and recently, an injury!

Seems like you know what to do. Wait for another half. Train for that properly, scale up, avoid injury - you'll have a much better experience. Save your Half Marathon Virginity for the right date, not just "any" date. :smiley:

Take it easy, get fully well! We wouldn't want to lose you as a runner forever!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Eek ya that's what worries me, wouldn't want to be bed ridden again. I have 3 small kiddos that won't let me rest, even during my time where I was unable to walk, I had to crawl around the house cause I had no help with kids and I'm sure that Played a part as to why recovery took longer..

You had to crawl to take care of your kids, still are in pain, and you really wonder if it is worth it? Rest. There will be other races.
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    @cocolo89 good luck if you decide to run, and if you don't I hope you get back to 100% soon.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

Ok that puts proper perspective on things. Your injury was as a result of a training failure / over-exuberance which resulted in a serious injury with significant impact on your life. There's no reason to believe the outcome will be different next weekend given the underlying factors are all exactly the same, but worse -- you've already suffered, and recently, an injury!

Seems like you know what to do. Wait for another half. Train for that properly, scale up, avoid injury - you'll have a much better experience. Save your Half Marathon Virginity for the right date, not just "any" date. :smiley:

Take it easy, get fully well! We wouldn't want to lose you as a runner forever!

Agreed.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Just walk, like many of the others.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Just walk, like many of the others.

Or, you know, actually rest your back and do another race. It takes awhile to really recover from that type of injury and it doesn't sound like she's been able to properly rest it. Walking 6 miles isn't going to be doing her any favors at this point. Rest OP!

And maybe see a doctor if you haven't? From experience with back injuries, it's better to be safe than sorry.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I was in exactly the same position last year. I had an overuse injury and I did back out of my first half marathon. I ran one a couple of months later and this was a good decision as it took me without the race over four weeks to get pain free.