What is the difference between Meal replacement shakes and Protein Shakes?

Options
This is probably a dumb question but I see all these protein shakes and meal replacement shakes and wonder what the hype is all about. Are they for weight loss? My mom and brother drink a specific brand (forget which) and rave about it but I'm not sold on them just yet. Is one better over another for weight loss? I ask because I need something quick for breakfast in the morning and wondering if I should try either. Thanks for any info you could provide!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Meal replacements have more vitamins and minerals I believe.

For weight loss it really doesn't matter, as long as you're getting enough nutrients from other sources.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Meal replacements like Boost and Ensure will have vitamins, minerals and enough calories to help you stay nourished. They're intended to replace meals or help those who need to gain weight do so in a healthier way. Better than nothing!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    There are three types really...

1) Meal Replacements(High calorie, high protein, usually fortified with vitamins & minerals) - Not recommended unless you are in a hospital bed or have restricted movement/capability of consuming primarily whole food sources.

2) Mass/Weight Gainers (High calorie, high protein, may contain vitamins & minerals) - If interested, an individual can save money and just add peanut butter, banana, whole milk, etc. to a regular protein powder.

3) Protein Powders (Low calorie, high protein, typically not fortified with vitamins & minerals) - Good to have on hand for convenience purposes; do not rely on them every single day to hit your daily protein macro.
  • AZnewbie00
    AZnewbie00 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.....I guess I should have mentioned I have some major weight to lose. I guess the Mass/Weight Gainer option is out. Any suggestions on what I should look into?
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is real food. Supplements are really not ideal unless there is a need to get in more protein (for example) without carbs.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, you should start with a good, clean diet (and I don't mean a fad diet). Find out how many calories you should have, figure out your macros (like 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat or whatever) and exercise...

Then supplement with shakes and things as needed.

R
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    AZnewbie00 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses.....I guess I should have mentioned I have some major weight to lose. I guess the Mass/Weight Gainer option is out. Any suggestions on what I should look into?

Stick to whole foods. Protein powders don't help you lose weight; they are just convenient to have on hand when your daily protein intake is lower than normal. The suggested protein intake for active individuals is 0.60 - 0.82 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight per day. If you are inactive/sedentary, then the intake will not be so high.

If you want to buy a protein powder for convenience, then target great taste and low cost with no filler/amino spikers -- these can be avoided by not buying a powder with a ton of aminos such as glycine, taurine, creatine, or other ingredients ending in -ine on the nutritional label. The rest of the factors are inconsequential; most standard protein powders will be 100-150 calories per serving. PES Select is a great brand to look into if you're interested.
  • AZnewbie00
    AZnewbie00 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the info. Convenience is a huge factor for me so I figured it was worth looking into since my mom was raving about whatever she is currently using.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you're short on time in the mornings, using a protein powder to make a smoothie can be a good option.

The main issue with shakes and similar items is how easily you can really pack in the calories. You can have 500+ calories in liquid, down it in a few gulps, and want to eat a little bit later.

I sometimes make a smoothie that has milk, yogurt, a scoop of protein powder and some sliced up bananas. Blend that all together and I have a good quick meal that I can drink on the go.

I generally prefer to eat food vs. drink it, though :)

~Lyssa
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the info. Convenience is a huge factor for me so I figured it was worth looking into since my mom was raving about whatever she is currently using.

Go with convenience for breakfast. Eat other food the rest of the day. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fruits, veggies, low or no-fat dairy, healthy fishies, whole grain breads and lean, white meats.

• Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You can have a very convenient breakfast without a big shake.

If I am on the run I have a fiber one bar and a Greek yogurt. Or add a couple of hard boiled eggs.

R
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder every day to reach my protein goal and stay within my total caloric range. It works for me....really well.