How do you get 10,000 steps a day?

Options
I am a proud owner of a Fitbit flex and am challenging myself to achieve 10,000 steps a day on top of my exercise routine. I am a preschool teacher, during the week I more often than not reach my goal. But, on the weekend I fall way behind. I still do my exercise routine on the weekends. What are some ideas we have to get more steps in on days we don't work, or for mfp users who have a job that requires a lot of sitting?

Replies

• kindyteacher
    kindyteacher Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just do little tricks and my husband thinks I am nuts lol. If I go to the kitchen to get a drink I walk around the island a few times. Or if I am watching tv during the commercials I get up and walk around the living room. Also, when putting away laundry I fold it downstairs and put 1 room away at a time. Each time coming back downstairs to get the next rooms stuff (bathroom, kids room, my room).
  • hemster7
    hemster7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When out and about on the weekend, park your car the furthest away from the store/library/whatever.

Also, build in a walk each day of the weekend in your calendar. Making it routine and scheduled helps.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Set up a reward system. Say, if you get your steps in, you can take a nap. Or watch your favorite show, or whatever would motivate you.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I don't work and do grad school everyday online so if I don't force myself to get the steps in I can go a whole day getting like 2k steps. I walk the dogs and walk around the neighborhood myself. If its the end of the day I will even just walk around the house haha.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Park further away, walk the stairs at lunch, I make myself move and take extra steps to get where I want to go. If I go to a grocery, I walk the long way around the isles, rather than just going for what I need.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I don't worry about it on Saturday and Sunday. I do my two mile walk on Saturday and combined with housework, I will hit about 8000 steps. If I feel like getting to 10000 I will, but if I don't I'm ok with it
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    *cough* I walk circles around my apartment *cough

I also park in the very back of parking lots to help get more steps in.
    If the weather isn't too bad and I only need 1 or 2 things from the store, I will walk.
    When the weather is nice, I walk my boys to the park. The park we go to depends on what I'm up to. Their favorite park is 3 miles away.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I run at least 5k every day.

Done.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I get at least 16,000 steps every day - my Garmin Vivofit keeps increasing my step goal, and I guess I want to keep up with it!
    On weekends, these steps (and more) come from hiking. However, during the weekdays... to be honest, most of my steps come from pacing up and down my living room while reading. In the past few months I've read all of the Game of Thrones books, and many others. It makes me really look forward to the time I spend pacing around as it helps me to relax.
    I think that when things got particularly suspenseful in a book, I was walking a bit more hurriedly in response, haha.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Done.

Thats not 10, 000 steps. Its more likely around 4,000.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I turn off my efficiency mode and make extra trips around the house when cleaning, doing laundry, etc. to supplement my steps on days when I'm coming up short.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Was thinking about this recently, too, because I love the park best, but that isn't always realistic due to weather, etc. I think I'm going to end up being one of the early-morning mall walkers soon. I do the park-far-away thing, too, as others have mentioned. And I always take stairs rather than lifts. At the park, if I don't get enough steps, I usually end up just circling around the path all over again. Thinking about getting a treadmill, especially with winter around the corner.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I went to the mall today with my daughter. We walked 9600 steps....Boom!!!! Tell the hubby you gotta go shopping. :)
  • miztessbert
    miztessbert Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone UP Move and have been working on increasing my step count over the last few months. I was able to consistently achieve 10K+ steps per day by getting up 45 min earlier in the morning to take my dog for a 30 min walk before getting ready for work, setting a reminder on my work laptop that prompts me to get up and walk around the floor every hour, scheduling a 30 min walk at lunchtime, and taking my dog out for another 20-30 min walk when I get home. On weekends I take my dog for a 2 mile walk in the AM and several shorter walks throughout the day. My dog is loving the increased outings and I'm starting to find it easier to go for walks as it becomes more and more of a habit. Tracking steps on my Jawbone has really helped.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Done.
    Does it say that you got 10,000 steps? My phone counts mine and gives me less than 10,000 for 8 miles.
  • Jenniell
    Jenniell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kalikel your phone is not accurate at all! 10,000 steps is around 5 miles!
  • GETU1N
    GETU1N Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    I just do little tricks and my husband thinks I am nuts lol. If I go to the kitchen to get a drink I walk around the island a few times. Or if I am watching tv during the commercials I get up and walk around the living room. Also, when putting away laundry I fold it downstairs and put 1 room away at a time. Each time coming back downstairs to get the next rooms stuff (bathroom, kids room, my room).

Nice!!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Done.
    Does it say that you got 10,000 steps? My phone counts mine and gives me less than 10,000 for 8 miles.
    @Kalikel -
    Sounds like your phone is missing steps. You would need a stride length of 4'3" for that to be accurate.

While I don't think Mr_Knight gets 10,000 from a 5k (maybe 4-6k) it probably does take care of most of his 10,000 step goal.

I believe the average number of steps per mile is around 2k. It can be slightly more or less depending on stride length. Running strides are typically bigger so most likely less. The other day on a walk I was averaging 2132 steps per mile.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Done.

That would do it!

5km is ~7500 steps.

Plus, the 3-5000 steps you'd get just from sedentary activity.

Win.