Sugar

Options
I need help and advise

How does people stay away from bad sugar and going to a whole food and healthy food of eating? I need help!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't. So long as it fits into my allotment, I'm golden.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict foods. It's all about the calorie deficit, and eating everything that I enjoy.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I dont have wiggle room for sweets. So I just look forward to hitting my goal for the week.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Bad sugar? Does it rob banks?

Seriously though, you can eat what you want just less of it. Veggies are filling for much fewer calories and very tasty. Eat more foods that are nutrient dense, but it's nice for your own sanity to fit in a few treats now and again. Try not to label foods as good and bad. Too many people then extend that to themselves "I ate good foods today, I made good choices, therefore, I am good." It becomes a cycle of shame and blame when you eat something you have labelled as 'bad.'

Hopefully, I'm just reading more into this, we see it a lot here.
  • kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For me, processed sugar only makes me hungry and sends blood sugar soaring. I have tried to cut out processed sugar and replace with protein or natural sugars from fruits and veggies. If I'm craving sweets, a small square of dark chocolate will do the trick. But sweets aren't really my thing; I love salty snacks so I have to just stay away from those things or I'll want 1000 calories worth. Good luck!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key, no food is bad. Too much food on the other hand, well.............
  • Mellieanne1019
    Mellieanne1019 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I appreciate it!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am another who failed at moderating foods with added sugars, or highly processed starchy foods. I found restricting carbs works very well to eliminate my carb cravings and reduce my appetite.

I think of my sugar problem as something similar to an addiction. I can't have just a little, so most days I'll ave almost no sugar at all. The induction phase of Atkins is similar to what I do. It works well for me.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Some of the yogurts with fruit are really good without much added sugar, particularly the Greek ones. They are good for you, too. You can make your own smoothies with 'whole' ingredients, too.

I still get the low carb or diet versions of some things, like hot cocoa or hot cider mix. I don't mind sugar substitutes (a lot of people do). I like those for a sweet-tasting treat that's not too high in sugar or carbs. I do have to watch mine for health reasons.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Avoiding refined sugars is a personal choice. Some people can tolerate it better then others. Some need to cut it out for health reasons. For most, moderation is key. For weight loss purposes only, you don't have to avoid them. However, sugary foods are usually higher in calories. Find what works best for you.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it! I eat a moderate amount of sugar and I've lost 20 kg in 6 months. I feel fantastic!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When you fill your plate with healthful things, refined sugar takes a bit role. I suggest workin at filling your diet rather than taking away.

For instance, how will you dress your morning oatmeal with some fruit and protein? Then you can reduce your brown sugar or sugar.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't bad. I did switch to artificial sweetner to save calories, though, and now I prefer it. All things in moderation.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I need help and advise

How does people stay away from bad sugar and going to a whole food and healthy food of eating? I need help!

In order to be helpful, we need to know what you are finding difficult about it. I'm assuming by "bad sugar" you mean added sugar, which I don't think we need to avoid (although I have from time to time), but do think should be limited.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    When you fill your plate with healthful things, refined sugar takes a bit role. I suggest workin at filling your diet rather than taking away.

For instance, how will you dress your morning oatmeal with some fruit and protein? Then you can reduce your brown sugar or sugar.

+1
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I stay away from added sugar by just not keeping any foods with it in my house. Out of sight, out of mind. It has really helped eliminate my cravings, and helped me eat the appropriate amount and lose weight.

If I want something sweet, I have a little bit of dark chocolate, or some fruit. I also snack on things like almonds and natural peanut butter...these things are filling without adding a lot of sugar.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I don't really think of it as "bad sugar" but I flipped my diet from one of total crap to a healthy, kind of (working on it) well-balanced diet. It took a lot of work, some learning (about nutrition and new ways to make food) and determination. Fall down 99 times, get up 1000 - that kind of thing.

It was difficult, but I'm very happy that I've done it. I'm healthier and I feel better. :)
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sugar isn't bad, the companies that manufacture and market it however, that's another story! ;)

I'm a sugar fiend, always have been, I crave it like there is no tomorrow. I'm trying to educate myself about sugar and its effects, I find it much easier to resist when I know why I am craving it and how bad it actually is for my body. And its definitely true, the less you eat, the less you crave!

Sugar isn't *bad* but too much sugar is bad for us!
  • lemurcat12
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Eh, I never ate a diet of total crap (or even huge amounts of sugar) and I sometimes have regular sugar in my house (like when I need it for something I bake and then afterwards). It's not some kind of major temptation. I don't think I eat any processed foods with significant amounts of hidden added sugar, so don't worry about that (smoked salmon has a tiny bit, plain yogurt has sugar, but not "added sugar").

I do eat store bought ice cream and (rarely) bake pies. At Christmas I usually bake cookies too, and maybe once or twice a year I do a cheesecake. All those have "added sugar."

Anyway, agree that sugar isn't bad but that too much is bad for us, and that far too many Americans eat too much.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I need help and advise

If you want to eat less sugar, add more protein and lots more fats and oils like butter, full fat salad dressing, sour cream, bacon, dark chicken, salmon, tuna, eggs, coconut oil, chia seeds, avocados, hummus. Also more nutrient dense veggies like collards, kale, spinach, snow peas, broccoli, yellow squash, kale, Green beans, cucumbers. :)