Trader Joe's

Options
gooz71
gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
Anyone have favorite food items you buy at Trader Joe's that keep you on track?

Replies

• iamworthy14
    iamworthy14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Almond butter
    Ezeikiel bread
    Kale chips
    EVOO
    The best coconut oil ever!!!!
    Minced garlic
    Cookie butter ( not so healthy but sooo yummy)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to TJs in a while, but I'm really interested in their portobello mushroom fries. I like to pick up whatever looks tasty.

The last time, I picked up some crispy crunch mixed fruit, Greek yogurt, and apple crisp fries.

Pumpkin spice cookie butter is new and has rave reviews, but that just sounds really gross to be honest. The cookie butter sandwich cookies are pretty good.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I just discovered their Greek Yogurts. Hadn't shopped at TJs in a while. The Pumpkin is fabulous! Also love the Peanut Butter and Jelly yogurt.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Their peanut butter is my favorite. Also their dark chocolate (the 72% and the 85%). I also but their coconut oil...best price I have found, their salsas, the coconut and almond flour, almonds, unsweetened coconut flakes, and coffee.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to TJs in a while, but I'm really interested in their portobello mushroom fries. I like to pick up whatever looks tasty.

The last time, I picked up some crispy crunch mixed fruit, Greek yogurt, and apple crisp fries.

Pumpkin spice cookie butter is new and has rave reviews, but that just sounds really gross to be honest. The cookie butter sandwich cookies are pretty good.

The mushroom fries are okay, but they bake unevenly. Some were crispy and some were a bit mushy.

The cocoa cookie butter swirl could totally go over on calories for me. I can eat it with a spoon.

For healthier, I like their salads for easy lunches.
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thai chili cashews are very spicy...just a couple on a salad or chicken make a great flavor
    Stuffed flank steak with chees and spinach grills up great and has a ton of protein
    Harvest pasta sauce on green beans is yummy
    Pumpkin salsa is great
    Non fat Greek yogurt
  • ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has a cracker that's a great substitute for chips for me: it's a rice cracker "multiseed with soy sauce": 110 calories for 35 crackers. They are crunchy, slightly salty, made from brown rice-- so they offer the satisfaction (if you eat them one at a time) of potato chips, take a long time to eat and are even a bit filling. They aren't particularly high in sodium either. They are especially good to eat in the company of family eating more high calorie snacks since they are a delightful alternative rather than low-fat compromise.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Sriracha Ranch! A little goes a long way!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Champagne pear vineagrette and champagne vinaigrette dressings!
  • spat095
    spat095 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Lots, but here are the staples:

Spicy peanut salad dressing
    Individually sealed chicken breasts (cooked), they're 4 to a pack
    Whole wheat pizza dough (freezes well)
    Mahi mahi burgers (frozen) and salmon burgers
    Hummus
    Nuts, granola
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm the minority but I avoid Trader Joe's when I'm really trying to stay on track. Way too many temptations there.

I go there when I want treats and I know I'll be able to eat them in moderation.
  • mom2colbyj
    mom2colbyj Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    ewrook wrote: »
    Trader Joe's has a cracker that's a great substitute for chips for me: it's a rice cracker "multiseed with soy sauce": 110 calories for 35 crackers. They are crunchy, slightly salty, made from brown rice-- so they offer the satisfaction (if you eat them one at a time) of potato chips, take a long time to eat and are even a bit filling. They aren't particularly high in sodium either. They are especially good to eat in the company of family eating more high calorie snacks since they are a delightful alternative rather than low-fat compromise.

Do you know how much sodium per serving? I've been on a sodium restricted diet and these sound really good to me.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    mom2colbyj wrote: »

Do you know how much sodium per serving? I've been on a sodium restricted diet and these sound really good to me.
    200mg according to the database

• mom2colbyj
    mom2colbyj Posts: 119 Member
    Options

200mg according to the database

Not horrible. I'll definitely be on the look out my next visit. Thanks. :)
  • rbee2015
    rbee2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Just read somewhere that TJ has a great non fat sour cream and dried onion mix, when combined, make a good dip or topping for veggies at a very low calorie cost. Think I might try it. :)
  • ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options

200 mg
  • djejl1985
    djejl1985 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »

How was the mushroom fries? I love mushrooms!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    Quest bars (cheaper here than anywhere else)
    Scallion pancakes
    Cowboy salsa
    Light Champagne-Vinaigrette salad dressing (delicious and 50 calories for 2 Tbsp)
  • phsst
    phsst Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm headed to Trader Joe's in an hour for some groceries. There is one close to my work, so I like to grab things to build salads in my work kitchen.

A (few) of my favorites:
    I'd love to hear other trade joe's favorites to expand my list!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Soy chorizo yum. I love that stuff and find it really easy to stay with one serving mixed into some scrambled eggs or in some refried beans on tostadas.

Their cheeses. Mostly affordable fresh produce. Ground meats.

Frozen fish - mahi, tuna, cod, etc.

Fig and olive crisps are amazing and I have to only buy them occasionally lol. A serving is only 90 calories but I want all the servings.

They have great prices on frozen fruits. Coffee. Spices. Lots of bulk nuts and dried fruits.

I've been there twice in the last week to stock up.

Oh another amazing item I ALWAYS get - in their cold grab and go ready made foods there is thai style spicy chicken pasta. It is 2 servings for one container though which makes it almost 600 calories. (I see lots of wrong entries in the database for this item)

They also sometimes have lower carb tortillas for 45 calories per serving (weigh them because it's usually actually on the 50s range)

So much good stuff