Supplements?

Options
My gym is a body building gym primarily. Not that I use it for that as I only use the cardio section and have only just started doing a bit if light lifting. However, they sell pretty much everything. Now I'm not looking for any quick fix as I'm happy to get to my target weight in a few months not weeks however I've been told to buy ephedrine as this will help me lose weight?

Also, if my diet is balanced enough do I need to drink protein shakes if a) I have a good amount in my diet and b) my main goal is to lose weight?

Replies

• leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    The fact they sell ephedrine made me look and confirm you aren't in the US. Nope. Will ephedrine help you lose weight? Maybe, possibly, even probably. Can it make you lose weight by killing you? That's a yes too. The FDA has banned the sale of ephedrine in the US because of adverse reactions and has for 10 years. I would be very, VERY leery of taking it. Just MHO.

http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/ephedraBanned.htm
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Ephedrine can be used to suppress your appetite. It won't make you lose weight directly, as far as I know, it might just help if you have problems with self control when it comes to food. Also it may make your workouts easier. I know this cos I know people who took it but I am myself very much against drugs. Unless there is no choice and you have some kind of metal or physical condition what not lets you to lose weight, a disease. But that's just me.

Same goes for supplements, waste of money and unnecessary gimmick. Of course unless you need them cos for some reason you can not consume all needed nutrients by foods or don't have time to prepare meals or something.

I guess it depends from you. if you want to make it a little bite easier and convenient that by all means waste your money on supplements, nothing's wrong with that. But you don't have to. ^^
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    As far as protein shakes, I have no problem with them if used wisely and correctly. I've looked at a week or so of your food diary and your protein intake is all over the map, from my point of view. Way up, way down. All I know is what I've been taught by my dietician. It's better to try to spread the protein around a bit more evenly throughout the day. The human body cannot process huge amounts of protein at once. Big quantities will be simply processed in the kidney and eliminated in urine, not providing the benefits you want. What I'm seeing is very little protein with breakfast so a protein shake in the morning might be appropriate there if you can't get protein from other sources. But having 80g of protein in one meal is wasting money if the purpose of the protein is to help in the diet process. It would be better if you could spread it 20-40g of protein in each of your meals, then you would optimize how it is used.

But again, your choice and don't let the gym try to sell you "stuff" simply because they make money on it. Just look at how you eat and when you eat and see what you can do to smooth it out a bit. But overall it looks good.