Running - How do you tell if the shoes are right or wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    With only one store in your town with an apparently back-a$sward fitting policy, I'd wait until you are away in a larger centre that offers choice.

In the meantime if it feels good, do it.

I mean run, of course.

Mike
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    izu87 wrote: »
    I do it as my cardio after my weight lifting workouts.

I'd hope that you use different shoes for running and resistance training? Running shoes have a lifetime of between 300-500 miles but if you compress the structure by doing other training in them then you reduce that life significantly and may be introducing other issues that aren't shoe related as such.
    I don't think they are problematic for me. I don't get any troubles with my legs while running,

So I wouldn't worry about it. If your shoes are wrong, you'll know about it.

Whilst I'd advocate shoe fitting for someone having difficulties, I've never had a fitting myself. That said I did go through a long period of having the wrong types of shoes that didn't help me. As my running form has improved over time I have less need for the motion control shoes that I needed initially.

If you're not having issues, then stick with where you are.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    either you pay or you change store

having the right pair of shoes is the most important thing in running, you can destroy your body if you wanna save money and fit the wrong one

if your shoes are wrong, you'll now it soon = pain
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    You can try this to give yourself some detailed info on what kind of shoe may be right for you and see if the recommendations align with what you currently have: My Precision Fit

I'm tempted to say if it ain't broken then...

• izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses.

Yes, I'm doing a lot of weight training ;) it's my main workout.

Yes, I'm using two different pairs of shoes for the weight training and the cardio.

And... as for going to another center... in my amazing country, I've found a single one, in the capital where I live, and it's that exact one that you buy or don't get fitted x'D (Eastern Europeans are cheap b*st*rds!)

For now I'll keep on watching over my runs, and in the end I might do myself an early Christmas present in the form of new fitted and expensive pair of shoes.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You can set up an iPad behind a treadmill to film your strike. I did this and noticed a roll in one foot. The running store analysis is only as good as the person testing IMO. I think it may be good to take your own shots before going in so you can add to their analysis.

Try on several pairs. Buy the pair you like best. You can return them if you find problems.
  • izu87
    Options
    Not here. Shoes cannot be returned unless there is a defect. :\
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    What country are you in? I'd like to avoid it!
  • izu87
    Options
    Bulgaria. :|