Stupid inner thighs lol

Options
I carry my weight in my lower body and its a biotch to change the shape or size. I have chubby inner thighs and it is making it impossible to find pants and when I do I don't like how I look. I signed up at the gym and have a meeting with a trainer Friday and this will definitely be brought up. but I am looking at what I can do at home since I can only hit the gym 3x a week. I am a size 34" jeans all because of the thighs, waist would be a 30" so I would love to just stay a 30" and not have to bring in the waist in all my pants. And exercises or tips for burning off that fat and thinning out the thighs? Yes I know you can not spot reduce but I am sure there is an exercise that will help.

Replies

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It's possible that if your genetics like you to store fat there then it will come off only when you reach a certain body composition. So basically, continue to lose body fat and eventually it'll start to shift. And doing some weights definitely won't hurt! Squats, split squats, dead lifts, lunges all get your legs going.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    spm2010 wrote: »
    I carry my weight in my lower body and its a biotch to change the shape or size. I have chubby inner thighs and it is making it impossible to find pants and when I do I don't like how I look. I signed up at the gym and have a meeting with a trainer Friday and this will definitely be brought up. but I am looking at what I can do at home since I can only hit the gym 3x a week. I am a size 34" jeans all because of the thighs, waist would be a 30" so I would love to just stay a 30" and not have to bring in the waist in all my pants. And exercises or tips for burning off that fat and thinning out the thighs? Yes I know you can not spot reduce but I am sure there is an exercise that will help.

All physical activity burns calories. You need to burn more calories than you eat in order to lose body fat. There are no specific exercises that are proven to burn inner thigh fat more than face fat or arm fat or stomach fat.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself, you can not spot reduce.
    Also, eating at a defecit is more important in weightloss than exercising.
    And as long as buying pants is an issue, wear skirts :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Get one of those silly thigh exercisers you put between your legs if you want some resistance exercise for that target area. I got one a long time ago, and they actually have a good amount of resistance (for beginners)! They are very cheap on the web and definitely not a waste of money if you are just looking for a bit of muscle work in the area.

I do them with my warmup or cooldown floorwork stuff and combine the move with a lower ab leg lift, if you can picture that. It's a silly gadget that's pretty cool :grin:
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Lots and lots of cardio. Helps burn fat.
    You could sew in the waist of jeans though. I'm having to do that with my monstrous 45" hips and 33" waist. But my hips are naturally big like that, I've learned to live with it.
    On your pants. Grab the waist line above the front pockets and fold over and inch or two. You can do this with one side or both. Then sew down the middle line of your pants, which is by the pocket to either the bottom of your pockets or just the inch length of the waist liner.
    I got down just an inch and done an inch for both side. If I had gone down to the pockets my big butt couldn't fit in.
    This works for me with my smaller waist.
    Not saying to not exercise and deal with the thighs, but it helps till you reach your goal.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. As you lose weight, everything will get smaller, but if you genetically have large thighs, you probably will not develop thigh gap. Learn to love the body you have.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    spm2010 wrote: »
    Yes I know you can not spot reduce but I am sure there is an exercise that will help.

Actually, all exercises help. They all contribute to a calorie deficit which leads to fat loss. But no exercise targets fat from one area. No amount of wishful thinking will change that biological fact. The inner thigh muscles are small and don't burn many calories, so i wouldn't waste time with them. You'll get better results on a standard, full-body strength program, without modifying it. :+1:
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    No real advice, but I can sympathize as I have the same body shape. I need a bigger size jeans for my butt/thighs, but I swim in them through the waist. It's really aggravating and makes buying pants a nightmare. This might not be helpful, but I've started buying jeans that sit lower on my hips...like a lower rise style, which eliminates the problem. Beyond that I'm doing a combo of weights and cardio, although I've made peace with the fact that I'm always going to be more bottom heavy....
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Start eating at a deficit to lose fat. You may always carry fat there, but once you are in a healthy weight range, things will even out a bit.

When I started losing I had a 29 inch waist, 44 inch hips, and 26 inch thighs. A true pear. After 30+ pounds lost I'm now 26 waist, 37 hips, and 22-23 inch thighs. Much easier to find clothes now!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I too have the inner thigh jiggle. So I starting walking... alot. Sometimes 10+ miles a day, thinking surely it would make some kind of a difference. But, no it hasn't.
    So I have to resign myself to eating in a calorie deficit and get rid of the fat that way.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Mid-rise jeans. Best thing to ever happen to jeans for us pear shapes. Sits on your hips instead of your waist.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Sorry but it really is just a matter of living with it!

I tend to store weight on my bottom half and even at my thinnest I still had the same shape. My sisters are both super skinny and even they still have the same bottom heavy shape as I do!

There is no harm in eating well and exercising. But make sure you go into it with realistic expectations. Jeggings are also a god send.

I've learned to dress for my shape now. I tend to wear jeans with a bit of stretch in them which fit my waist and bottom. Or I use a belt.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Get your nutrition on point, do squats (sumo squats target inner thighs), lunges and yoga does wonders for strengthening and toning legs. You already know you can't spot reduce but targeting legs helps tone things up.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I took a chance on a inner thigh machine, a thigh glider, at a garage sale for a dollar. It works pretty well for me. I know I can't choose where to burn so I am sculpting what's underneath so I'll look extra good when the fat is gone. I agree with squats. Goblet, sumo, prisoner etc. Work it all out! Even just body weight for a while if you have to. You'll thank yourself later!