Pedometer difference between wrist worn ones and pocket ones

Options
Hi I'm getting a garmin vivosmart activity tracker and I just wondered if anyone had ever experimented with wearing two trackers at the same time, one in your pocket and one on the wrist. Just for a ball park comparison I often wonder if I could be way off my steps I think I'm doing if I'm busy with my hands some days?? I am on my feet quite a lot in my job but am afraid I could be miles off target if I had a day where I am also waving my hands in the air a lot when talking to the children I look after?? Has anyone ever compared two trackers on the same day, I'm just interested that's all, it would be good to know if the results were kinda similar

Replies

• sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm following your result, my band broke and I stuck it in my bra. I have a misfit and on the app I put that I wear it on my chest. I have compared it to the fitness app on my phone for a couple of walks and they were no more than a couple of steps off, the tracker in bra the phone in hand.
  • littlehappystitches
    littlehappystitches Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    That's interesting thanks for replying we can wait and see what others have discovered too :)
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar V800 that I used for exercise and daily activity, and a clip on for a program that I was in at work. Depending on my activity for the day, They would be off from a couple of hundred steps to a couple of thousand. On days when I used the Precor Elliptical, (without holding the handle) the clip on and the machine would record the same number of strides, where as my arm activity monitor was always around 2000 behind, but on other days it was usually around 200 ahead because I wear the monitor all the time but had to take the clip on off. If I had a day where I was using my hands a lot, it would get up to a thousand ahead of my clip on.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I used to wear the older model Jawbone on my ankle. Then I switched to the latest version and I have to wear it on my wrist. I noticed that the newer one logged about 2k less on average. So I think the wrist bands miss a lot of my steps when I'm shopping, pushing a cart, carrying kids, groceries, taking the stairs, etc. I find I purposely try to swing my arm in such scenarios.

Anyway, I think it probably averages out because it obviously records steps I'm not taking when I'm driving or working at my computer or even cooking and moving my arms around.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    My vivoactive is usually a lot higher for daily steps because I don't have my phone on me every second during the day. Usually about 4000 steps difference (Vivoactive higher).
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I wish they all were accurate. Tested out on Noom Walk, S Health and the app on my Sony watch. At the same time, all three gave different numbers.
    So I just stick with S Health and my watch, then am to get 10,000 steps on both.