Ever lose a friend over your weight loss?

Options
Just wondering how common this actually is.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Sad to hear this. None in my case, even though I suspect there were times when I was a little smug, and maybe even a little vain. They hung in there.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Friends love you no matter what!! My friends are my friends for a reason.
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Don't have friends in the first place and save yourself trouble! : D
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    If you lost friends because of weight loss, then you didn't actually have real friends to begin with. Consider yourself lucky that those people are no longer in your life.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Makes sense to me, really. If people have friends who share mostly one thing......eating out alot....then diet can cut into the fun for others.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Makes sense to me, really. If people have friends who share mostly one thing......eating out alot....then diet can cut into the fun for others.

But who lets it "cut into the fun"?

If the OP goes out with her friends and chooses not to overeat, that doesn't mean her friends can't do so. Unless the OP is getting on a soapbox about how her friends are making unhealthy choices and is making them feel guilty for eating nachos and mozzarella sticks, yes, that does put a damper on things.

But if she is simply choosing to eat less than what she used to eat, quietly, without a big, "Look at me, I'm eating half of what I used to" and they are somehow taking offense to that, that's their problem.

To answer the OP's original question: no, I have never lost a friend over my weight loss. Because I tend to choose as friends people who aren't self-absorbed, whiny babies.

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Not me either.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    This time around getting slimmer, no, but I'm 46. When I was in my 20s and I got fit, yes, it put a HUGE strain on a friendship. I believe in most cases as we age our priorities and our relationships mature. If a relationship ends because of something positive you are doing for yourself then don't look back.
  • NikkiBiggestFan
    NikkiBiggestFan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a friendship but I'm confused about one. A friend of 7 years (my only friend to be honest) has started making snide comments. For example, I did a 4 mile walk and was pretty proud of myself for it. I only mentioned it to her after we we're discussing how great the weather in Florida has been lately. Her response...oh that's nothing. I probably walk more than that daily. Mind you she's way bigger than me. The smart comments are confusing to me because I don't know why she's acting this way. I suspect if she doesn't stop I may have to put a little distance between us. Which I don't want to do.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a friendship but I'm confused about one. A friend of 7 years (my only friend to be honest) has started making snide comments. For example, I did a 4 mile walk and was pretty proud of myself for it. I only mentioned it to her after we we're discussing how great the weather in Florida has been lately. Her response...oh that's nothing. I probably walk more than that daily. Mind you she's way bigger than me. The smart comments are confusing to me because I don't know why she's acting this way. I suspect if she doesn't stop I may have to put a little distance between us. Which I don't want to do.
    Invite her to go walking with you. Might be she's just feeling left out.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

This is common, unfortunately. Please don't let this get to you @NikkiBiggestFan . Your friend is likely feeling bad about herself and is probably a bit jealous of your recent success . just keep up the good work ! 4 miles is great!!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Interesting question.

I've come close to losing my boyfriend over weight loss - not a friend. The reason being there was a time where I became totally, utterly, unhealthily obsessed with what the scales told me which resulted in me practically giving up any form of social life so I could plan my calories easier. It was awful - and totally my fault. Luckily, he's a good man and we worked through it. I also totally changed my mind-set which was good..!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    There are two sides to every situation. Divisions in friendship over something like weight loss can be very sensitive - take a step back when a disagreement comes up and see what the problem is before a friend is lost. Is the problem solely because the friend has shown some resentment over your weight loss? Or have you changed some of your behavior? Often there are issues on both sides. Sometimes the friend might be jealous or resentful, but then again, it might be because he or she feels that you (the general you who is losing the weight) is bringing up the weight loss in a celebratory way that seems to be 'putting it in everyone's face'. Sometimes just bringing the subject up in a nonconfrontational way and discussing it can air things out and make things better, saving a friendship.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    She is jealous obviously. Ive seen it before. Well I can do better than you thing. Maybe though invite her to walk with you and see what happens. People get weird when they think you will change as you lose and leave them. Yoy will change that is inevitable bc you feel better and get confident. Try to reassure her you are atill the same friend.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I feel like the man boobs I had were friends.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes. Lost a couple, gained a couple.

The couple friends weren't just unsupportive, they were ridiculing my weight loss. The crazy obsessiveness of weighing - I get that, everyone jokes about that - me, too. But everything. The walking, the eating healthy, the routines, the new clothes. And God forbid I suggest an activity that wasn't all about sitting and eating. Instead of a movie and Olive Garden, how about Sea World? That did not go over well! Literal eye-rolling, lol. You can chow down at Sea World, but you're going to be walking. Plus, they're too fat to ride the roller coasters, so I'd have to skip those when I'd really rather ride them.

We are just moving on. Even if they hadn't made their comments, it would've happened. We no longer enjoy the same things. People come and go. That's life. It happened faster because we had a talk about it and I admitted the weighing was crazy, but the rest is not and they needed to back off. So, they're off being fat and I'm here getting thin.

I've gotten closer to other people because we now share interests. We can "hike" together. Though we can - and have - discussed healthy eating, we don't generally discuss the healthier lifestyle. We discuss relationships and the ridiculousness of electric bills in the summer and just regular stuff people discuss. But we share the same interests - being active and other things, too - so the friendships fit.

Losing weight has had a profound effect on my life, one that I didn't even suspect I was in for. A little of that has been unpleasant, but by and large, it's all good. :)