On my period and I'm ill. Just feel like eating

Options
I'm on my period and am coming down with a cold. I feel really hungry and just keep thinking about food.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Then eat. There's nothing wrong with eating a little more some days. All it means is you will have a smaller deficit for the week and lose a little less weight. It's not the end of the world. Just don't let it get out of hand and become a daily thing.

Besides, when you're ill, IMO, it's better to eat more so your body has fuel to fight the infection/germs/tiny invaders, etc.

Eat, get better, then get right back to your regularly scheduled program.
  • MariliaPa
    MariliaPa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Argh I had the same problem this weekend as well, if it happens that I can't get my mind off food then there's much I can do, I ate a bit more this weekend, logged everything and I'll try to exercise and keep to my calorie goals for the next week! If you feel hungry or ill it's ok to eat more than your goal calories per day but do try to record it in your food journal to prevent binge eating
  • xxSeinna
    xxSeinna Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you keep thinking about food and keep denying yourself food, you're setting yourself up for failure. Being sick/having a cold is difficult on its own, let alone restricting when you have natural tendencies to want more.

Play it safe, having that cake slice is probably better than a full blown binge-session that seems to be creeping up because you keep denying, denying, denying
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Maintaining is just as tough as dieting, so a day like you are having today is a good day to practice. Eat at maintenance, no more no less. Recommence the calorie deficit tomorrow.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Additionally - log it all, the good the bad and the ugly. And make sure to stay hydrated!

Hope you feel better soon.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat, log and move forward.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Me too ..major cramping and feeling sorry for myself going on

I'm at maintenance and have logged my versions of comfort food today, well within my calories

Bacon and egg toastie with brown sauce

Vegetable stew with rice and cheese

Roast chicken dinner with roast potatoes, carrots, cabbage and gravy and Neapolitan icecream

Thai chilli chips

Plus room for more snackage

Cos ...logging...and periods do mix
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I'm at maintenance and have logged my versions of comfort food today, well within my calories

Roast chicken dinner with roast potatoes, carrots, cabbage and gravy and Neapolitan icecream

Thai chilli chips

Got chocolate?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Thai chilli chips

Got chocolate?

I don't really fancy chocolate

Crunchy carbs ...thinking white toast atm
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

SMH!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

SMH!

I know

But otherwise I'm pretty normal

If it helps the Neapolitan had chocolate ice cream in it :bigsmile:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My appetite goes up premenstrually so I eat at maintenance for a few days.

For a cold, I eat lots and lots of spicy Asian soup and drink quarts of tea.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I have a snack day around ovulation and a couple more around my period. I find it's better to eat what I want then move on. When I try to keep a deficit, I'm more likely to gorge my face off the next day. I might eat an extra 600 or so calories so at maintenance or a little above.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Make a big old protein fluff with your favorite toppings. Volume, protein, low calorie.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'd say restricting yourself when you're body is generally feeling a little rough isn't the best thing to do :)
    That's not to say I'd encourage a full on binge session - but by all means, allow yourself a few comforts (logged) and don't feel guilty about it. If you're under the weather, you'll need to keep your energy up but again make sure it's all logged and accounted for. Once you're healed, you can go back to being on-form :)
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have been in the exact same boat. I gave in to maybe a handful of my daughters nachos and from that I "gained" 2 pounds. I realize it's not real weight but I don't care. It's frustrating. I did realize that downing a bunch of water and iced tea did help me get through my cravings though. Hang in there
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Being sick on top of your period, your body needs the extra energy so just keep it as healthy as possible (extra protein does help) and try not to fret. My weight fluctuates by as much as five pounds every month thanks to my period. I'm new to MFP so I'm looking forward to seeing how much of it is water and how much of it might be fluctuating eating habits. Feel better soon!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i have no problem eating at or even slightly above maintenance during TOM or if im sick.....