are you hitting your protein goal easily ?

Options
Im 190 lbs 173cm - protein goal 113gr , do you guys manage to consume that with natural whole foods ? tips welcome.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast. Turkey breast. 90/10 or 93/7 ground beef.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My protein goal is much lower and a Nope, it's not easy for me. I think a lot of people who have really high goals use powders and protein bars. I don't know if they really contain all that protein or not and I'm not sure about what might be in there that shouldn't be, so I avoid that stuff. But many people use it and none have reported that it hurt them yet. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    0% Greek yogurt - 170g = 18g protein

Egg / egg white

Beef, bacon, chicken, fish etc

Lentils, veg, bread

• 19gabriela01
    19gabriela01 Posts: 2,090 Member
    Options
    I am struggling too. I think I will go back on a protein powder.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Shrimp are low calorie and high protein, make a great snack with some shrimp cocktail sauce. Also, cottage cheese, mini tins of flavoured tuna...
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    0% Greek yogurt - 170g = 18g protein
    Ooh, I want a yogurt tree!

• jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My goal is 83 but I generally get only in the 50s and 60s. But that's my own fault because I save calories for wine after dinner. :-)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Define 'natural whole foods'...
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I typically have about 130 grams per day. I do have one Premier Protein shake in the morning. It is 30 grams of protein for 160 calories. My day also consists of one ounce of nuts and then chicken, steak or Salmon for lunch and dinner. I do eat 6-8 oz of meat for lunch and dinner. For the most part I eat a whole foods type of diet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have a hard time hitting my protein macro, which some find surprising since I eat a low carb high fat diet.

My protein macro is between 80 and 90gper day. To hit that I add about 25g of protein powder to my coffees throughout the morning. I only have a 3-4 oz. serving of meat at lunch and dinner, and possibly eggs for breakfast, so the protein powder is a good boost for me.
  • guapa68
    guapa68 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    whole foods in my eyes are items that are close to how nature intended however if "man made" ie bread - a short list of ingredients , and you should recognise the ingredients etc.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Then, yeah, add 0% Greek yogurt to the list.
  • guapa68
    guapa68 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies guys - some great ideas and nice to know that others also don't find it too easy
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have no problems with that, but I set my protein goal myself, to 70 grams. I eat a varied diet, meat, eggs, fish, nuts, dairy, grains, even vegetables to some extent, provide protein.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yeah I can get 113 at least in my first 1200 calories.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Not without resorting to going over calories or eating protein bars.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MEAT
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have no issues getting in at least 115 most days...without protein powders or bars. I do use powder in the summer as I prefer a smoothie for breakfast (cold fruit shake vs eggs)

my diary is open if you want to check how but mostly it is as follows:

Eggs, cheese, ham (ham is great...low calorie/high protein)
    shrimp/seafood and fish in general
    lots of chicken/turkey
    beef
    Yogurt specifically greek.

If you are looking for "good" protein sources try this rule...1 gram for every 10 calories is a good source.
    Kalikel wrote: »
    My protein goal is much lower and a Nope, it's not easy for me. I think a lot of people who have really high goals use powders and protein bars. I don't know if they really contain all that protein or not and I'm not sure about what might be in there that shouldn't be, so I avoid that stuff. But many people use it and none have reported that it hurt them yet. :)

Sometimes it is prudent to use powders/bars...and yes they do contain a lot. There are vegetarians here who reach higher goals then me easily...it's all in about how hard you want to hit that goal and if you are willing to preplana nd tweak your meals.

If you want to know what's in them read the label.

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    My goal is around 100g/day and usually I hit it. I have to start from breakfast though or I fall short.

Greek yogurt
    Steel cut oats
    Eggs/bacon/turkey sausage
    Cheese/lunch meat
    Cottage cheese
    Snack bars with protein
    Meats/fish and tuna
    Nuts/peanut butter