20 years old and i could die...

Options
hi!

I am a 20 year old female. I am 5'10 and weigh 405. :( i wear a size 28/30 pants, 5xl shirt.

My goal is to get down to 145-170... depends on how i feel when i get that low. as an adult i have never been below 300 lbs.

i have no clue how to even start losing weight. i have bought a few jillian dvds but i get so frustrated that i can only get through the warm up that i give up. i dont know what to eat,etc.

im tired of living this way and i know i wont live much longer if i dont lose the weight.

i have pcos and dr said im not able to have children at my current weight. i want to be able to give my husband a son or daughter one day.

but for right now i want to lose this weight for me. i know it will help me in all areas of my life.

can anyone help me?

i have a desk job 40 hours a week.. i go in at 12:30 and leave at 9. i dont know when to eat, what to eat, or how much.

as you can tell i need alot of help and some friends for support!

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Seek out some inspiration and motivation on here. I have at least 5 friends who have lost over 150 pounds and kept it off. Some of them are even running marathons! Holy cow!

It CAN be done!

Set your goal and chip a way my dear.

You CAN do this!!!!!

Arewethereyet:drinker:
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    First up realise that you CAN do it, you WILL have bad days and it won't happen overnight. If you can accept those 3 things, IMO, you'll be just fine. Log everything you eat, don't worry about those DVDs right now you need to be walking, again IMO, 1-2 miles extra every day.

I'm adding you as a friend and listen to all the advice you can get. Good luck!
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm 29 years old, and I began this journey on 1/1 and I weighed 420.2 pounds. I've lost 115 pounds in less than six months, and I now weigh 305.2 pounds. I have not began exercising yet, but I'm going to in the near future.

Feel free to look at my diary for ideas. I have found that being VERY rigid and repetitive has been a huge help.

Good luck.
  • triff14
    triff14 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    According to this calculator: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    Your current BMR (the calories you need to keep your vital organs, etc, living) is 2652 calories. What I personally like to do is eat about 100 calories above my BMR and then also eat back exercise calories. I don't feel too hungry and as long as I stick with it, I lose the weight pretty easily.
    For exercise I would recommend starting out by going for a walk every day, if you don't want to go for a walk outside there are even some walking videos on youtube! A good starting goal could be 30 min a day, a few days a week. You could probably just go for a walk before work every day.
    Also, my best friend has PCOS and she has lost 26 lbs so far just by quitting fast food and switching to a natural diet and she doesn't even count calories.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I will send you a PM with some advice I gave to another gal.
  • BuhbyeBooty
    Options
    It takes a lot of patience and hard work, but it can be done!! Feel free to friend me, I'm happy to support you in any way I can!!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you decided to join this site and change your lifestyle! My advice for you just starting out is as follows:

Log in every day which includes logging your food, exercise, and reading the forums (Even if you aren't eating according to your calorie goal, logging your food can give you valuable information on your eating habits, basically if you are eating too much, if you have too much sodium, too many carbs, etc. Then you can go about tweaking your diet to gradually make it more healthy. Plus getting on these forums can give you so much information about living a healthier lifestyle. Keep logging on!)

Make gradual changes instead of a major overhaul (Its been proven that gradual changes are easier to stick with and you are more likely to see results from these. If you start off eating only healthy foods, starve yourself, try intense workouts that are above your fitness level, you will easily and quickly get burned out and frustrated and go back to old behaviors. So some examples of gradual changes to make: if Jillian dvds are too intense, try going for a nightly walk after dinner or do some swimming for half an hour. Instead of eating 1200 calories a day just try to quit drinking soda and replace a junky snack with a fresh veggie or fruit.)

Get support (Having people on here as friends and having people in your life support your lifestyle change makes a big difference. It helps when motivation gets tough and when you start slipping back into old behaviors if you can have someone to go to. If you make friends with people on here they can give you so much knowledge on living a fit life.)

Those are the big ones that I can think of right now but basically just stick with it! If you mess up, get back to it tomorrow. You can do this! Also check out the success stories, they are so motivational.
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options
    If you're not comfortable with exercising right now that's okay. Just focusing on eating better and eating less is a pretty darn good start.

If you do want to push yourself to exercise I would start with a 30 - 60 minute walk and whatever speed you can manage for the duration and just go from there.

Find some motivation and RESPECT your body.... the weight will positively fall off you, it's so worth it. Save your own life!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion is to start by making small changes. There's no need to dramatically cut your calories or eliminate anything from your diet. Have you plugged your info and weight loss goals into MFP? That's the easiest way to start. For now, just worry about calorie intake. In my opinion, there's no need to start eating clean right off the bat. Making healthier food choices is always a good thing and definitely something to work toward, but if you make small changes to begin with, it will be much easier to stick to.
    I eat exactly the same things I ate before I decided to get healthy - I just eat less of them. I still eat pasta, but if I'm really hungry and want more volume, I toss in lots of fresh steamed veggies and beans. I love stir fry, but instead of eating lots of rice, I eat a regular serving of rice and put ridiculous amounts of broccoli on top. I usually eat pizza once a week, but instead of asking for extra cheese, I just get regular cheese and choose thin crust when it's an option. And I've actually discovered that I really like protein shakes and will sometimes drink them for dessert (seriously, you should look into PB2 powder. It's delicious)!

Start small with exercise too. Jillian's DVDs are great, but they are HARD. Don't feel bad that you can't get through them. Maybe just start out by going for walks and build up from there. It's a good cardiovascular workout, and you can always increase intensity by upping the pace or adding weights.

Don't be too hard on yourself. This is a learning experience, and it's never easy to make a lifestyle change. But if you take even the smallest steps in the right direction and stick with it, you will see results.

Good luck! Feel free to message me or add me as a friend!
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!!

I would suggest just starting with walking or simple cardio. I still find Jillian Michaels workouts hard 65 pounds down. Work your way up. Follow the plan MFP sets up for you. Lots of protein, veggies, and healthy carbs.

And be prepared for ups and downs. It's all about the long road, not the shortcut!

good luck!
  • simply_meggie
    simply_meggie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hang in there sunshine! I avoid a lot of those workout DVDs for that same reason(they make me swear a lot too!) You have to start out with what makes your comfortable. You can start by simply walking for an hour, or even walking uphill at 3.5mph on a treadmill. I try to do at least 20 minutes per day, but the shorter the amount of time I go, the steeper the incline. Also, drink a lot of water. I find that does remarkable things. Best of luck and feel free to friend me. :)
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    hello sj,

sorry to hear your feeling so low

firstly, with the jillian dvd's, don't beat yourself up about it,
    if its a step too far ahead then you have your 1st goal to aim for, getting past the warm ups, but before you do that take a step back from it and try other stuff, walking is a great place to begin, 10-20mins a day, whatever your initial limit is,
    and then build on that, add an extra 5 minutes, then another 5 minutes,
    dont be frustrated you cant jump straight into a work out, its a big step and you my be over reaching, your trying to do something that is tough for a lot of people who have been exercising for a while so put that aside for now,

log your daily food intake on here,
    dont panic if at 1st your way over for the first few days\weeks, its to be expected, what you can do then is monitor it and slowly make changes to your diet, seeing what the biggest calorie stuff is and drop them one at a time, as long as your daily calorie intake is coming down then your making progress, and the truth is making a drastic lifestyle change overnight is pretty much impossible and if you try to do it too fast you are more likely to fail,
    take things slow, judge yourself by progress rather than trying to hit all the numbers and exercises instantly,

if you accept that its going to take a while to adjust, and you set yourself mini targets, i.e walking 10, then 15, then 20 mins, and bringing your calorie intake down 50 or 100 calories every 2 days you will both motivate yourself with your successes and also take away the emotions and frustrations of not being able to do it all straight away, which will inevitably make things so much harder

i wish you the best of luck,
    and hope others will be able to give you more specific and better advice to help :)
  • marniekerr
    marniekerr Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Good for you for making the decision to get healthier - that's a big step! Stay away from the Dvd for now and just concentrate on your food and taking more steps each day. Walking is the easiest thing to fit in to your day and most beneficial. Park your car a little further away in the lot, walk up and down every aisle in the grocery store, get a walking group going at your job and get out for a break time walk each day. And drink lots of water!! As you start making changes and feeling stronger, make the walks longer and more vigorous and you'll soon be on your way!!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm 29 years old, and I began this journey on 1/1 and I weighed 420.2 pounds. I've lost 115 pounds in less than six months, and I now weigh 305.2 pounds. I have not began exercising yet, but I'm going to in the near future.

Feel free to look at my diary for ideas. I have found that being VERY rigid and repetitive has been a huge help.

Congrats on your loss. However, i don't think telling someone who is confused about weight loss that she has to be "very rigid" is a good advice. It's not about restricting yourself and being on a "diet". It's a lifestyle change. Slow but steady. OP, you have to understand why you overeat in the first place to be able to change your mind and how you view food.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I suggest purchasing a nutri-bullet. It is a sort of juicer, food processor type of device, and it is my new best friend. You just put fruits and veggies in it, and it pulverizes them but maximizes extraction of the most healthy nutrients. You feel less hungry, lose more weight and there are countless other health benefits. Watch the infomercial online. Good luck!
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    OK, first things first:

1) As someone else said, skip the DVDs for now. If you want to move more, take a walk in the morning before you go to work. Make sure you have good shoes. Start at 15 minutes of steady walking and work toward 30.

2) If you're not already, start logging absolutely everything you put in your mouth. To get a baseline, just eat what you eat. You'll need to measure, or weigh, or record off the package exactly how much of everything you're eating. Log it all.

3) After a couple of weeks of this, open your diary and ask for help. You'll get plenty of suggestions - folks here are not shy! LOL

4) I went to an online calculator (fitnessfrog.com) and entered your stats. Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is 2648. That means you have to take in that many calories just to maintain your basic body functions (heart rate, metabolism, breathing, etc). As you lose weight it will come down but for right now, you need to eat AT LEAST that much.

Right now I'd shoot for a "target" of 2750 calories or thereabouts - if you exercise on top of that then you can eat a little more. That should give you a calorie deficit of between 350 and 500 a day depending upon how active you are (this is all guesswork, but it's a start.) Should start to see some weight loss, slow and steady.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    First, don't get upset over those workout DVDs. Some of those are real fun, but I always think it's very discouraging to have skinny people try to motivate fat people... wouldn't it be better for an overweight person to start a workout serious and in the end of it, become skinny? Anyway, Those are FIT people doing that, you can't expect someone of your size to do the same as them, you have soooo much more to move than them, and you have to use more energy to do it (so this is good).

If you can, try to get out and walk 2 hours a week, it's a great start, and walking does wonders. Maybe get a treadmill, or something.

Proportions is one of the most important FIRST step to weight loss, I don't know how many calories you should have a day at your size, but when you find out, divide it by 5, then you know how many calories you can consume in one meal.

For snacks, start out with having a serving (or 2) of fruit.

Make sure you have a protein enriched diet, this stops you from being hungry.

Lots of water, 8 cups (64 ounces/1/2 gallon) is the LEAST they tell you to drink.

No drinks with sugar. Drinks are the WORST for dieting if they are filled with sugar, it's better to get your taste buds adjusted to water. I used to never drink water at your age (I am 6 years older), now water is my MAIN drink. YES, it WILL be disgusting at first, but I promise it will change :)

Stay away from sodium. You can pretty much cut out fast food, frozen foods, and canned foods with this rule.

Maybe allow yourself 1 cheating snack a day but ONLY while you're at work, that way you can pack a 150 calorie snack, and there will be NO MORE for you to try to eat after enjoying a helping.

Do not eat more than 1 helping of food.

Drink 1-2 cups of water with every main course of your meal, and 1/2 to 1 cup of water with your snacks.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you! ((hugs)) I was in a similar position at my heaviest with high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and high cholerterol at 25 years old. My levels are all normal now and I am no longer diabetic.I agree with the others that exercise isn't as important as getting your food in check. As you start to lose, you will feel more able to exercise. When you are ready, I highly suggest Walk Away the Pounds DVDs by Leslie Sansone. Her videos are very inspirational and easy to follow. I am partially disabled and I lost the bulk of my weight doing her videos. For now, even if you can walk for 30 mins every day, you will burn quite a few calories at your weight. Take things one day at a time. Focus on getting through the day you are living in and try not to look at the bigger picture because it can become overwhelming. Before you know it, you will be so proud to see what you have accomplished.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    hi!

I am a 20 year old female. I am 5'10 and weigh 405. :( i wear a size 28/30 pants, 5xl shirt.

My goal is to get down to 145-170... depends on how i feel when i get that low. as an adult i have never been below 300 lbs.

i have no clue how to even start losing weight. i have bought a few jillian dvds but i get so frustrated that i can only get through the warm up that i give up. i dont know what to eat,etc.

im tired of living this way and i know i wont live much longer if i dont lose the weight.

i have pcos and dr said im not able to have children at my current weight. i want to be able to give my husband a son or daughter one day.

but for right now i want to lose this weight for me. i know it will help me in all areas of my life.

can anyone help me?

i have a desk job 40 hours a week.. i go in at 12:30 and leave at 9. i dont know when to eat, what to eat, or how much.

as you can tell i need alot of help and some friends for support!

Welcome! I did my weight loss differently than most here on mfp, since I did alternate day intermittent fasting. There's several different plans represented on this site, besides the mfp one, so just take some time and browse the site and get some info/ideas :smile:

Also, for me losing weight and starting to exercise at the same time was too overwhelming so I just focused on the weight loss part first. Lost almost all my weight without any exercise at all. It wasn't until I started transitioning into maintenance that I felt ready to start exercising and discovered I really enjoy it and now have goals that I'm working towards. But, I have not regrets for waiting to start exercising!