Exercise Help, please

Options
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any exercises to help me tone up and loose weight. I am trying to focus on toning up, rather that weight loss as I know that weight loss comes with the territory.
I am having issues for a couple of reasons, I have just started back to exercise >< and have no endurance built up. I have a tendency to push myself too far and end up doing more harm than good to myself, and also get obsessive about exercise.

I really dislike gyms, they tend to be a trigger for me, and as such I do not go.
I love to swim but the pool is closed for another month (supposedly it is not warm enough yet....)
I can't go for a walk without having a panic attack as currently it is spring where I am, and the magpies are out... and I have a massive phobia of them ><.

I am also having issues with sciatica.
I am getting really frustrated with myself, because I feel like I can't find any exercise to do, and seem to be gaining more and more weight.
I want to exercise to tone up and feel happy with myself, especially as summer is only 2-3 months away for me.

Any help would be appreciated. I know in my head, everything takes time, and I should start out small, but other side kicks in and I want to see results asap.

Thank you for listening/reading

Replies

• nanabanana39
    nanabanana39 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Do you have a dvd? You could tone up and exercise with dvds like zumba or something interests you. Also if you have a radio or cds you can dance to your favorite music or you can make up your own exercise routine in your home with squats, jumping jacks, planks, lifting dumbbells, or other exercises. I get ideas from Pinterest and you tube. Good luck to you!
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    This is why I like dynamic stretching, Zumba and strength training. The training I'm talking about, you use your own body as the weight.
    If you have a console, use that to surf youtube. Look for strength training videos.
    I download books on my android kindle for strength training and ab workouts. Then youtube for zumba and core workouts.
    Zumba may sound silly, but you won't be thinking that after about 15 minutes of solid movement.
    I've only been to a gym once and can't walk on our road nor even do anything outside cause the weather is normally 100+.
    So believe me, from working out at home doing dynamic stretches, zumba and strength training, it works.
    I also have a treadmill I walk on too, but the rest gets me better results.

And curse you Magpies! Noisy birds. My dad liked feeding them though.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as toning. What does it mean to you? You can lose fat and reveal muscle, you can lose fat to reveal muscle while SAVING lean body mass by lifting/strength training in a deficit, or you can gain muscle along with fat.

Deficit for weight loss. Cardio for heart health. Strength training to save/gain/maintain muscle.
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm personally a fan of HIIT-style body weight routines that involve squat variations, jumps, push-ups, ab routines etc. I find tons on Pinterest and YouTube
  • kiwilili
    kiwilili Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Toning, to me is loosing fat and reveal more muscle. Giving the appearance of toning.
    I was thinking about getting into more weight/strength training.

Thank you @arditarose :)

@Blackdawn_70631, thank you for your support. I tried Zumba and felt like I had 7 left feet!
    I will try surfing youtube :)
    One magpie cut my face, and ever since then been petrified... evil wee things

@annadelunaestrada, I love pinterest! I will be on there again soon to look for more exercise ideas
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Options
    kiwilili wrote: »
    Toning, to me is loosing fat and reveal more muscle. Giving the appearance of toning.

@Blackdawn_70631, thank you for your support. I tried Zumba and felt like I had 7 left feet!

@annadelunaestrada, I love pinterest! I will be on there again soon to look for more exercise ideas

Well, I noticed some videos say "beginner" and the trainer is moving around all crazy like I'm experienced. However some people are more mellow. I found Tennille Boseman to be easier to move with.
    I'm not a dancer and am not graceful on my feet. However I can do The Robot just fine. But it is in the privacy of my own home. So I wiggle and jiggle like a happy floppy to my hearts delight.
  • kiwilili
    Options
    @Blackdawn_70631, yeah I tried some beginner things and they are like professional dancers.
    I can shake my booty XD I tried bellydancing video's they were way easier than any zumba :smile:
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Options
    @Blackdawn_70631, yeah I tried some beginner things and they are like professional dancers.
    I can shake my booty XD I tried bellydancing video's they were way easier than any zumba :smile:

Those work to. Just keep moving and stay moving.
    I need to look up belly dancing videos now. Never tried one. :)
    Have any suggestions via youtube?
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options

You kind of seem to be heading towards your already stated tendency to do too much too soon. If I can suggest that you pick one program (strength training, HIIT, Zumba, etc.) and stick with it for 6-8 weeks and see if you like the direction you are headed. As @arditarose always eloquently states, toning is a phrase used by marketers to sell products and training "concepts". You need to pick what your goal is and gear towards that.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Options
    armylife wrote: »

You kind of seem to be heading towards your already stated tendency to do too much too soon. If I can suggest that you pick one program (strength training, HIIT, Zumba, etc.) and stick with it for 6-8 weeks and see if you like the direction you are headed. As @arditarose always eloquently states, toning is a phrase used by marketers to sell products and training "concepts". You need to pick what your goal is and gear towards that.

True. Good point.
  • kiwilili
    Options
    @armylife, thanks, that is a good point. I will try to stick with one thing.

I was thinking because my nerve is playing up that I would try pilates for a while. I was thinking maybe pilates, and strength training/weights might be a good combination.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't think that would be terrible. Just make sure you plan in adequate rest and you will be good.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    The best form of strength training is a progressive overload program, where exercises get a little harder each time. Without equipment your best bet for that is doing a bodyweight program. Good options for that are:
    - you are your own gym
    - Convict conditioning
    - Strong curves (includes 1 12 week bodyweight program).