Body Fat Estimate

Options
Is there anyone who could give me a general BF% Range based on pics? I am just curious to know so I can get an idea of when I should stop my bulk, I know I'm not there yet but just would like the opinion/data.

I am not in a position to get calipers as I am in school and not near a facility that has them.

I cannot see my abs but I think that is in large part due to lose skin from losing 60lbs.

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Bulk until you hate yourself, cut until you hate your life, rinse and repeat. You'll be swole in no time.

omcg3kxrq8od.gif
    200.gif 559.8K
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    If you post the pics, several people here could probably give you a range.

Generally, you'll want front pics - flexed & relaxed and side pics same for most accurate guesstimates
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    h257a6toofey.png
    nwwj35hsqyof.png
    fvctidhvnuu1.png
    Front in black and white is not flexed. Also, ~145lbs in these pics
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    • Don't rely on calipers to gauge bodyfat. They are wildly inaccurate.
    • Don't go by bodyfat % as a gauge for when to stop your bulk. Consume 10% greater than your TDEE (maintenance calories) if you are worried about packing on too much fat, but still want to bulk.

From your photos, I can tell that you need more muscle mass. If you want to gain muscle mass, then you should really be concentrating on bulking, consuming 0.60-0.82 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight per day, and lifting consistently on a proven regimen like Allpro or 5x5. Don't focus on cardio as much, but don't eliminate it from your routine completely.

• Don't cover your midsection based on insecurities. Take proper photos so you can track your progress. You look great and congrats on the weight loss.

You're likely between 16-18% bodyfat.

body-fat-percentage-men.jpg
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
      You're likely between 16-18% bodyfat.

I concur...somewhere in the mid-upper teens
  • dpr73
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I am surprised by the 16-18 estimate given that my weight is at 145, and waist is below 30. Most people say I should put on weight, though so I can definitely understand the assessment for more muscle mass.

Also, isn't it a bad idea to bulk right now then? Will I experience decreased efficiency in gaining muscle? I have been trying to eat a surplus since June and seem to have stalled but considering my BF% maybe it's good to wait anyway?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »
    I am surprised by the 16-18 estimate given that my weight is at 145, and waist is below 30. Most people say I should put on weight, though so I can definitely understand the assessment for more muscle mass.

Also, isn't it a bad idea to bulk right now then? Will I experience decreased efficiency in gaining muscle? I have been trying to eat a surplus since June and seem to have stalled but considering my BF% maybe it's good to wait anyway?

I would guess in the 14% range, but with a low amount of lean body mass, which is why the pic at 15% looks more defined. A combo of not a lot of muscle, and some fat = higher bf%, if you had the same amount of fat, but 10-15 lbs more muscle your bf% would be much lower.

My pic here, I am about 140 lbs at 5'6", and I would guess 11% bf%, my waist about 29".

Depends on how you feel about bulking, and gaining more fat now, versus how much you want to be "ripped". The higher bf% the less primed your body is for gaining muscle, but winter is coming which means you will be covered up, so maybe bulk until Feb and start cutting in march.

What program are you following to bulk on, and how long have you been lifting?
  • dpr73
    Options

erickirb wrote: »

I would guess in the 14% range, but with a low amount of lean body mass, which is why the pic at 15% looks more defined. A combo of not a lot of muscle, and some fat = higher bf%, if you had the same amount of fat, but 10-15 lbs more muscle your bf% would be much lower.

My pic here, I am about 140 lbs at 5'6", and I would guess 10-11% bf%, my waist about 29" depending on where you measure from

My waist is quite small and I have been lifting consistently for two years. That's why I am surprised by the lack of any progress. I am currently getting stronger, but considering where my BF is I may not bulk much longer and let myself maintain where I am for a while. Also, obviously this is apparent in pictures but I can see the outline of abs if I really flex, but they are pretty underdeveloped
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

My pic here, I am about 140 lbs at 5'6", and I would guess 10-11% bf%, my waist about 29" depending on where you measure from

My waist is quite small and I have been lifting consistently for two years. That's why I am surprised by the lack of any progress. I am currently getting stronger, but considering where my BF is I may not bulk much longer and let myself maintain where I am for a while. Also, obviously this is apparent in pictures but I can see the outline of abs if I really flex, but they are pretty underdeveloped

What is your caloric intake?

All the lifting in the world isn't going to add muscle if you're not eating enough.
  • dpr73
    Options

What is your caloric intake?

All the lifting in the world isn't going to add muscle if you're not eating enough.

I try to keep a mental tab of things but don't explicitly count. I eat 6 times a day. Usually 3 meals where I emphasize approx 4-8(higher end for dinner) ounces of protein about 200cals of grain and a ton of either veggie or fruit. Than the other 3 snacks max out close to 250 can but are almost always in the 150-200 calorie range

• juggernaut1974
    Options
    My advice, then, would be to take the next step and both measure (ie weigh) and log all your foods...even if you just do it for a few weeks. So you have an accurate baseline.

If you do so, and find you're eating (as an example) 2500 calories per day on average, and you're not gaining, then you will know that you'll need to try at least 2,750-3,000 per day.
  • dpr73
    Options
    My advice, then, would be to take the next step and both measure (ie weigh) and log all your foods...even if you just do it for a few weeks. So you have an accurate baseline.

If you do so, and find you're eating (as an example) 2500 calories per day on average, and you're not gaining, then you will know that you'll need to try at least 2,750-3,000 per day.

Well now I am wondering if I should technically be gaining considering my BF? Isn't it too high to efficiently bulk up?
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    15% is the commonly used guideline...you're in that ballpark.

Worst case, is you end up having a couple more pounds of fat to cut off after your bulk than you otherwise might.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Worst case, is you end up having a couple more pounds of fat to cut off after your bulk than you otherwise might.

Agreed!!

OP (dpr73): what program did you follow while losing weight, and what are you doing now for strength training?
  • dpr73
    Options

Agreed!!

OP (dpr73): what program did you follow while losing weight, and what are you doing now for strength training?

My brother (an athlete) had me on a regimen that was combo of lifting (chest and back and legs each during the week alternating) and running (about 30 minutes) twice a week. Off on weekends. There wasn't a specific program just a good mix of lifting with the compound exercises and running. Sorry it's so general it's been two years since I've done that workout.

after losing I have cut out running, except for maybe light cardio right at the end of the workout I also have a circuit day that is similar to a cardio session. Currently, I am starting at 60% of max and working up in weight to my 1 rep max for squat, bench, and deadlifts (ultimate goal is to be able to hit 2x3 or so of my 1 rep max at the end of the cycle). I also supplement with other exercises like curls leg presses, pull ups and dips weighted. I also incorporate a circuit day where I complete high reps of Bw exercise as fast as I can.

My strength is definitely increasing. I am not seeing the number on the scale budge though. I could eat more, but considering I am gaining strength and I am comfortable with the amount I'm eating currently is it possible that my body is slowly recomping now? Just today I did 20lbs more on bench than I was doing at the start of the summer for the same amount of reps. But again, I have stalled at only about 5lbs up from where I started the summer at
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

co-sign
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Agreed!!

My brother (an athlete) had me on a regimen that was combo of lifting (chest and back and legs each during the week alternating) and running (about 30 minutes) twice a week. Off on weekends. There wasn't a specific program just a good mix of lifting with the compound exercises and running. Sorry it's so general it's been two years since I've done that workout.

after losing I have cut out running, except for maybe light cardio right at the end of the workout I also have a circuit day that is similar to a cardio session. Currently, I am starting at 60% of max and working up in weight to my 1 rep max for squat, bench, and deadlifts (ultimate goal is to be able to hit 2x3 or so of my 1 rep max at the end of the cycle). I also supplement with other exercises like curls leg presses, pull ups and dips weighted. I also incorporate a circuit day where I complete high reps of Bw exercise as fast as I can.

My strength is definitely increasing. I am not seeing the number on the scale budge though. I could eat more, but considering I am gaining strength and I am comfortable with the amount I'm eating currently is it possible that my body is slowly recomping now? Just today I did 20lbs more on bench than I was doing at the start of the summer for the same amount of reps. But again, I have stalled at only about 5lbs up from where I started the summer at

i would suggest looking into a structured lifting program like strong lifts, wendlers, etc and then run that for three to four months.

I think that you could benefit from a lean bulk (.5 pound per week gain) and run it for about four months and put on eight pounds, and then cut about five pounds off and run another bulk. It is probably going to take you a few bulk/cut cycles to get the physique you want.

You could also attempt a recomp but that is a slow process and would probably take you about a year or two. Where as you could run a few bulk cut cycles over a year and a half. bulk four months, cut four months, etc.
  • dpr73
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Agreed!!

i would suggest looking into a structured lifting program like strong lifts, wendlers, etc and then run that for three to four months.

I think that you could benefit from a lean bulk (.5 pound per week gain) and run it for about four months and put on eight pounds, and then cut about five pounds off and run another bulk. It is probably going to take you a few bulk/cut cycles to get the physique you want.

You could also attempt a recomp but that is a slow process and would probably take you about a year or two. Where as you could run a few bulk cut cycles over a year and a half. bulk four months, cut four months, etc.

Very helpful posts. I actually feel most comfortable doing this, and you guys suggesting it gives me more of an idea that it is the smart route to take. I got as high as 148 over the summer (8lbs) but now am somewhat naturally coming back down while my lifts actually go up. So I'll let my weight do what it does and try to run this kind of cycle