Age affect MFP's calorie calculations?

Like the title says, does MFP take into account age when figuring out calories for individuals? I am 5'5" and range generally between 127-129 lbs. MFP gives me 1470 calories to maintain at sedentary. So many others on here are about the same height and weight but their maintenance calories are way higher. I am 57 by the way.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2015
    I believe it does.

edit: yep it does.
    To maintain my current weight (approx 126-128) and 5'4.5" at Lightly Active:
    25 yrs (actual age) = 1850
    35 yrs = 1780
    45 yrs = 1710
    55 yrs = 1640
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Thanks! That is helpful! I was wondering why others could eat so much and not gain. I even eat a bit less (1400 calories) than what MFP says and most of my active calories back in order to maintain. This has generally been the pattern for the last year and a half.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Most people's maintenance calories will go down with age, all other things (height/weight) being equal. The reason is that most people lose lean muscle mass as they get older, and metabolism naturally slows down with age, too.

Of course, these are averages. I know people who've had good fortune, health-wise, and who have been active and diligent about going to the gym, and who've had great metabolism right into their 80s. Take care of yourself and there's no reason why that can't be you.

But sure, there's a reason why most of us can't eat the way we did as teenagers without gaining weight.