What type of oil is good for cooking

Options
2»

Replies

• JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    "extra light tasting" olive oil is my go-to, general purpose oil...I use it for everything except deep frying.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I use EVOO, coconut, peanut /ground nut, rice bran, grape seed oil. I've read posit I've reviews on walnut, pumpkin, and avocado oils but they are so expensive. I have seen them in Marshalls, TJ, and TJ Maxx cheager tHan amazon and other places, yet still pricey...one day I will try them
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I use EVOO, coconut, peanut /ground nut, rice bran, grape seed oil. I've read posit I've reviews on walnut, pumpkin, and avocado oils but they are so expensive. I have seen them in Marshalls, TJ, and TJ Maxx cheager tHan amazon and other places, yet still pricey...one day I will try them

Eta-I meant to say *positive
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Sixxpoint - Love the chart. Question - why is the hemp oil labeled with green (good) with an attached side note that states "Contains GLA - the only Omega-6 with anti-inflammatory properties."; but the grapeseed oil is labeled as red (bad) with a note in the color chart that states "High in Omega-6 (bad)"? These two statements seem to be completely contradictory.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sixxpoint - Love the chart. Question - why is the hemp oil labeled with green (good) with an attached side note that states "Contains GLA - the only Omega-6 with anti-inflammatory properties."; but the grapeseed oil is labeled as red (bad) with a note in the color chart that states "High in Omega-6 (bad)"? These two statements seem to be completely contradictory.

Read this article. I believe it answers your concerns: https://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/gammalinolenic-acid
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Wow, I need to educate myself on oils. I bought canola today. I'm glad you posted this thread. But honestly, avacado oil I can't afford. I have coconut oil but its expensive too.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    JeffBrown3 wrote: »
    Wow, I need to educate myself on oils. I bought canola today. I'm glad you posted this thread. But honestly, avacado oil I can't afford. I have coconut oil but its expensive too.

Canola is fine.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I use avocado oil. It is healthy fat. It has an extremely high smoke point, so you can cook at high temperatures with it without any issues. Also, it has a very light, neutral taste. I tasted a spoonful of mine, and it was almost as tasteless as water.

Also, you can use it for other things as well if you like...salad dressings, etc.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I like lard, coconut oil, butter, and olive oil for my foods.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is what a Canola field looks like in Alberta, when in full bloom.

alberta_field.jpg

It was a very dry summer so the yields I am sure were affected.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    This is what a Canola field looks like in Alberta, when in full bloom.

alberta_field.jpg

It was a very dry summer so the yields I am sure were affected.

Nice picture!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    The deodorization process used on industrial seed oils creates trans fats. Mainstream sources of diet information say that's perfectly fine and healthy, fringe the opposite. It will not surprise me in the least if all of the "heart healthy" oils that dietitians and experts love are found not to be so healthy after all.

Harvard: Concerns about Canola Oil
    Gnolls.org: Eat More “Heart-Healthy” Trans Fats!

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    I am not too sure about canola and so on.

Agreed. Canola oil is actually "Rapeseed Oil" and is a known toxic substance - it's been used as pesticide for decades (no joke). The word "canola" actually stands for "Candian oil low acid" - because they lessened the amounts of the toxic chemicals (erucic acid) - but did not take out all of the toxic chemicals (erucic acid) which is why you should not use this oil in connection with anything that goes into your mouth. It takes about 10 years for "Canola" oil to affect your health negatively. One of the things that canola oil is known to cause in the human body is heart lesions. Yes, you read that right: HEART LESIONS!! Canada paid the US a s**tload of money to change the name of rapeseed oil to canola oil for ease of marketing purposes.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    There are so many different types of oils. But what type of oil under heat (stir-fry) will not lose its nutritional value? Which is best for cooking?
    1. Extra virgin Olive Oil
    2. Ground nut oil
    3. Sunflower oil
    4. Canola oil
    5. Coconut oil (too expensive, not my first option)

For cooking:

Aim to use oils high in saturated and monounsaturated fats and limit or steer clear of oils high in polyunsaturated fats.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

Agreed. Canola oil is actually "Rapeseed Oil" and is a known toxic substance - it's been used as pesticide for decades (no joke). The word "canola" actually stands for "Candian oil low acid" - because they lessened the amounts of the toxic chemicals (erucic acid) - but did not take out all of the toxic chemicals (erucic acid) which is why you should not use this oil in connection with anything that goes into your mouth. It takes about 10 years for "Canola" oil to affect your health negatively. One of the things that canola oil is known to cause in the human body is heart lesions. Yes, you read that right: HEART LESIONS!! Canada paid the US a s**tload of money to change the name of rapeseed oil to canola oil for ease of marketing purposes.

Most oils can be pesticides because plants and insects are different than mammals.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

Apple seeds have arsenic in them. Don't eat apples because the arsenic from the seeds can leach into the apple. It takes about 10 years for apples to affect your health negatively.

...Joking.

Please do some objective study on canola oil instead of believing everything you read about it at face value.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Please do some objective study on canola oil instead of believing everything you read about it at face value.[/quote]

I do research as a very large part of the way I earn my living. I think you need to up your research on this particular matter. Best...

• WingardiumLeviosa91
    WingardiumLeviosa91 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil for Everything. Though, I live in a mediterrenean country so it must be the reason.
  • saladcrunchy
    saladcrunchy Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Hope the length of this doesn't overwhelm and answers the question, it was one I had too and so I did a bit of homework that I am happy to share as follows:

It isn't just type of oils in cooking that have to be considered but also their smoke point. Once it starts smoking it gets toxic; and so if you need to cook on a high heat for any length of time, you need an oil with a high smoke point, otherwise, I also stick to cold pressed olive oil unless the flavour has to be considered. (Oil types and amounts converter at bottom of page)

I found the following programme very helpful in understanding fats generally. Most of the points below the link are notes taken from the programme and for your convenience as a ready reference.

Good Fats and Bad Fats
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tpt0b

BBC Radio 4 - Case Notes – Wed 15 Sept 2010
    Dr Mark Porter investigates how good and bad fats have an impact on our health.

It’s all about ratio

- Not all fats are bad – it’s the type of fat that matters

- Good fats – Omega 3 – (EPA and DHA) Green veg and oily fish (not cod liver) crucial for good health
    - Saturated fat – animal fats, meat and dairy, coconut and palm – solid at room temperature. These are only bad in excess of the RDA: 20 grams a day.
    - Unsaturated fats – liquid seed oils only bad in excess of the RDA: 70g and optimum Om6 vs 3 ratio

Bad fats:

- Man made toxic fats, trans-fats, hidden in processed food including low fat spreads.
    - Trans-fats are synthetic fats that preserve shelf life in food and cause premature furring of the arteries
    - In addition to other fats the average Briton is eating between 2 – 20g of trans-fats a day
    - 20 grams of trans-fat a day more than doubles the risk of cardiovascular disease: heart, stroke, Lewy body dementia, vascular and arterial-sclerotic dementia; the second most common types of dementia.
    - Trans-fats upset the liver; disrupt the balance of good cholesterol (HDL) and bad (LDL) and cause a build-up of plaques on the artery walls.
    - Trans-fats are mostly hidden but on food labels are called:

1. Hydrogenated vegetable oil (Good unsaturated fats that have been Hydrogenated)
    2. Partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.
    3. Vegetable shortening
    4. Margarine

- There are two types of Omega 3 fatty acid – both of which are essential for all normal cell function and have long term implications especially for brain and eye development in pregnancy and breast feeding.

1. Marine – DHA and EPA from which we evolved; essential, especially for the brain and visual system.
    2. Land – or ALA from Seeds nuts, green leafy veg, butternut squash, soya beans, tofu, strawberry etc.

- Optimum Ratio: The Omega 3 vs 6 ratio profoundly influences health especially inflammatory diseases including arthritis and those affecting the brain and heart. For long term health, our diet should have a balanced Omega 3 v 6 ratio. Humans evolved eating a diet with the ratio of Om 3 to Om 6 balanced at about 50/50 or at most, in favour of Om6 by 4 to 1. Today and at best, the British diet has a ratio in favour of Om 6 by 10 to 1 with an average at 20 to 1 and in many cases 100 to 1.

- Omega 3 supplements can’t help if you are eating too much Omega 6 or bad fats with them; it’s ratio that counts; this is why:

- Fatty acids compete for the same enzymes in the body and because these enzymes can’t differentiate between Om 3 and 6, they will use either. These enzymes turn fatty acid into derivatives that have influence over the immune system, blood flow and hormones, including insulin. However, if these derivatives have been converted from Omega 6, they can make the blood sticky and more likely to clot and will tend to be pro-inflammatory and, pro-thrombotic and whereas the very same enzyme using an Omega 3 fatty acid will have an effect that is anti-inflammatory and anti-thrombotic

Summary:
    - In the effort to move away from too much saturated fat, modern diets now contain too much Omega 6 (as well as trans-fats and sugar – a highly toxic combination)

- Omega 6 is essential but unavoidable. It is in vegetable oils such as corn, sunflower and safflower and most processed food as well as in its pure state found in seeds and nuts such as soya, meat, dairy and eggs. But we simply have too much of it and nowhere near enough Omega 3.

Conclusion:
    - Avoid trans-fats and use cold pressed cooking oils such as olive and rapeseed
    - Cut down on Omega 6: seed oils, meat, eggs and dairy
    - Have two portions of Marine Om3 per week (oily fish) not more if pregnant due to ocean contaminants
    - Make up the ratio with Land Omega 3 found in green leafy veg and so on.
    - Eat fresh fruit daily as micronutrients in them facilitate the absorption of Omega 3.
    - Look after your liver: Lemon water in morning (cleansing) – 3 alcohol free days a week (repair days)

Cooking oils and fats:

1. Omega 6 v 3 ratio in oils and other nutritional values
    theconsciouslife.com/omega-3-6-9-ratio-cooking-oils.htm

2. Oil amounts converter
    traditionaloven.com/foods/multi-units-converter/oil-sunflower-linoleic-less-than-sixty-pct.html

3. Fats explained – British Heart Foundation
    bhf.org.uk/heart-health/prevention/healthy-eating/saturated-fat.aspx