5x5 work out help

Options
Hello guys I was reading this artical on bodybuilding.com but it doesn't make sense so Could someone explain!

"The program's loading begins with 50 percent of your 5-rep max for each lift, which means that you have to know (or discover) what weight you can do for 5 and only 5 reps, then use half of that. That might seem awfully light early in the program, but you're going to add weight each week.

In fact, during each workout, you add 5 pounds to the bar for each lift—or 2-1/2 pounds per side. The deadlift is the only exception—here you add 10 pounds, or 5 per side. Add weight, however, only if you reach 5 reps for all of your sets (again, just 1 set for deadlifts"

Right so it says about it being light but you add a weight the following next workout but then it also says you add 5 pounds for each bar lift.

So I am so confused as I want to start this workout, do you add 5 pounds (2.5kg) for each new set of the 5 sets or add 5 pounds on the second time you lift that bar so for example if I was benching, would I add 5 pounds the next set or next week?

Replies

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    You add 5 lbs each DAY not each set. So if you were doing the 135lb benchpress on Monday, you would warm up first and then do 5 sets of 5 reps at 135#. If you were successful at all of those reps, the next workout (probably Friday) you would do 140# and so forth. If I remember right, you're pretty light and new-er to lifting so just forget the 50% of your 5rep max start with the bar for everything but the deadlifts. Try and start at 135lb for that (the bigger plates just help get it off the ground to the place you want to start the lift from).
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I can understand the confusion. What it means by "to each lift" is to the exercise, squat, deadlift, press, and bench press. You don't add 5 pounds to each set either, you add it to each workout. Ideally, if your 5 rep max on deadlift was 100kg then you would start with 50kg and each week if you deadlifted once, you would add 5kg. 50, 55, 60, 65, so on. Same with each exercise only you add 2.5kg instead of 5kg.

These are done as straight sets or sets across. Which would mean five sets at you workout weight.

Does that make sense?
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I recommend downloading the Stronglifts app, it's free, and starting with the bar. If that is too heavy, use dumbbells until you reach the strength needed to progress with the bar. The app will track your sets and working weight for you. You can always change to a different program once you've learned the basics.

The weight is added quickly, and starting light allows you the opportunity to concentrate on form.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    You add 5 lbs each DAY not each set. So if you were doing the 135lb benchpress on Monday, you would warm up first and then do 5 sets of 5 reps at 135#. If you were successful at all of those reps, the next workout (probably Friday) you would do 140# and so forth. If I remember right, you're pretty light and new-er to lifting so just forget the 50% of your 5rep max start with the bar for everything but the deadlifts. Try and start at 135lb for that (the bigger plates just help get it off the ground to the place you want to start the lift from).
    Probably Wednesday actually. 5x5 generally go AxBxAxx then BxAxBxx the following week.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Probably Wednesday actually. 5x5 generally go AxBxAxx then BxAxBxx the following week.

No, the original was correct. For bench, on Monday, the next bench session would be Friday. Wednesday's upper body press would be OHP.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    yusaku02 wrote: »

No, the original was correct. For bench, on Monday, the next bench session would be Friday. Wednesday's upper body press would be OHP.
    aha, good catch. I was thinking something that was an every session lift like squats. But you guys are correct. For bench it would be monday then friday.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    The app guides you. You input your body weight and it sets your goals. If you miss a workouts it will suggest a deload. You can + or - the weight suggested.
  • kayemali
    kayemali Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Really helped, just got back from gym finding out my Max