Portion Control Containers

Does anyone know what the sizes of the portion control container are? I see a lot of programs use these. I would like to try it without the cost of buying the specific ones. I'm sure the dollar store has something comparable in size.

Replies

• tjames30
    tjames30 Posts: 229 Member
    Look on pinterest for 21 day fix meal plan and portion sizes.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 721 Member
    I agree with getting a scale. You can weigh your food then put it into any container.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    If you google the 21 Day Fix containers, it should tell you the quantities- they're one of the more well known programs right now.

With that said, I'm not as big of a fan of that as I am a food scale. I have seen big discrepancies in calorie counts between portions and actual measurements, and I would be uncomfortable not knowing my correct calorie count.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I'd buy a food scale before buying tupperware to gauge portions. Much more useful and accurate.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Food scale!!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    I'd buy a food scale before buying tupperware to gauge portions. Much more useful and accurate.

Ditto.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    I reckon portion size spoons and containers can have a useful role if you're eating clean (i.e. the food in question is 'healthy'), though I just visualize a handful of the food and that's a portion size for me. The main weakness of clean eating to lose weight is people lose sight of portion size I think.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I reckon portion size spoons and containers can have a useful role if you're eating clean (i.e. the food in question is 'healthy'), though I just visualize a handful of the food and that's a portion size for me. The main weakness of clean eating to lose weight is people lose sight of portion size I think.

Not if accuracy is your goal...regardless of the type of food
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Does anyone know what the sizes of the portion control container are? I see a lot of programs use these. I would like to try it without the cost of buying the specific ones. I'm sure the dollar store has something comparable in size.

Pinterest has tons of info

Zip-lock makes these nice square & rectangle containers. You can stack them in a lunch box. These are not the exact sizes. 3/4 c. , 1/4 c. and 2&1/2 T. ....you won't find these.

www.pinterest.com/pin/42643527696897980/

To create your own....just measure water, and pour it in your container. Then mark off the size (on the outside) with a Sharpie.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    The problem with putting food into containers (i.e. measuring by volume) is that the size of the food you're putting into the container will have a direct bearing on how many calories are in the container. In other words, if you cut up a watermelon into 3" chunks there's a lot of empty space in the container between the chunks and the sides of the container. However, if you cut it into 1" chunks there's less empty space and if you cut out a piece that's exactly the size of the container there's zero empty space. The difference in calories between these three identical sized containers of watermelon can be significant and the more calorie dense the food in question the larger that difference can be.

On the other hand, 6 ounces of watermelon measured on a food scale will always have the same calories, regardless of how you cut it. Measuring by weight using a food scale is always more accurate than measuring by volume.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Yes, this.

If weighing seems burdensome, I'd do something like weigh the meat and starch course until you learn what a serving size is (assuming you want to eat to a specific serving size, which it seems is the idea with the containers) and then fill half the plate with vegetables. Weigh anything high cal like cheese or dessert also.