Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Cutting sugars can be helpful,or at worst benign, to a person's health. I can't think of any health benefits that only sugar can give.

Quick release energy.

There's a reason marathon runners don't gnaw on pork chops during a race.

There's a reason that marathoners and ultra sport athletes don't bonk on a LCHF diet too - they aren't relying on stored glycogen. There is no wall to hit anymore.

Athletes who are in ketosis will often consume some carbs for some quick release energy. The glucose is used during the activity and they never have to come out of ketosis. And again, if they don't have quite enough glycogen to tide them through, they can burn fats - no bonk.

Glucose may be handy to elite athletes where fractions of a second matter. I doubt anyone here is that sort of athlete.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Marathon running is hardly healthy the human body was NOT designed for it and a lot of people die trying to do them..
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Cutting sugars can be helpful,or at worst benign, to a person's health. I can't think of any health benefits that only sugar can give.

Quick release energy.

Marathon running is hardly healthy the human body was NOT designed for it and a lot of people die trying to do them.. ..
    Can you define "a lot" in this context?

• nvmomketo
    Options
    I'll admit my arthritic knees couldn't handle more than 30 km, I was never close to death though. A lot?? Doubt it.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Marathon running is hardly healthy the human body was NOT designed for it and a lot of people die trying to do them..

I never said it was. I was merely giving an example of a benefit to consuming sugar, since the poster I responded to couldn't think of one.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Glucose may be handy to elite athletes where fractions of a second matter. I doubt anyone here is that sort of athlete.

Whether one is or not isn't the point. I was merely pointing out one benefit of sugar since you admittedly couldn't come up with one.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Quick release energy.

There's a reason that marathoners and ultra sport athletes don't bonk on a LCHF diet too - they aren't relying on stored glycogen. There is no wall to hit anymore.

Athletes who are in ketosis will often consume some carbs for some quick release energy. The glucose is used during the activity and they never have to come out of ketosis. And again, if they don't have quite enough glycogen to tide them through, they can burn fats - no bonk.

Are there any competitive marathoners who do keto? The elite ones tend to do 80-10-10. Ultras--long and slow--are more fitted for keto, as is a slow casual marathoner, perhaps, although I'd want to hear experiences.

I recently did a half ironman tri, and I know I needed my Clif Shots. I'd be interested in the experiences of anyone who has done one without consuming anything during the race, however, as you seem to be saying is the case.

Mr. Knight has posted some good stuff about this in other threads.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Whether one is or not isn't the point. I was merely pointing out one benefit of sugar since you admittedly couldn't come up with one.

Okay. You got me. An elite world class athlete who competes in exlosive energy sports like the 100m sprint, would probably have a slight edge on someone who was eating very low carbs and di not consume any carbs prior to competing. True. That is a benefit of some carbs in the diet.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Quick release energy.

Are there any competitive marathoners who do keto? The elite ones tend to do 80-10-10. Ultras--long and slow--are more fitted for keto, as is a slow casual marathoner, perhaps, although I'd want to hear experiences.

I recently did a half ironman tri, and I know I needed my Clif Shots. I'd be interested in the experiences of anyone who has done one without consuming anything during the race, however, as you seem to be saying is the case.

Keto is definitely is more common among the ultramarathoners.
    http://www.ultrarunning.com/features/health-and-nutrition/the-emerging-science-on-fat-adaptation/

Peter Attia has experimented on himself for years. He's not an elite athlete, but he's head and shoulders above most of us and does tri's. http://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance

http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/do-low-carb-diets-improve-endurance-performance.

To be honest, I don't know of any professional marathoners who eat a LCHF diet, but then again, I don't know of any proffessional marathoners. Period. I don't follow much in proffessional sports.

I think there are a few football players and basketball players doing LCHF.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

+1

Some of the worlds fitest endurance athletes have attained that at the cost of their future health
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Okay. You got me. An elite world class athlete who competes in exlosive energy sports like the 100m sprint, would probably have a slight edge on someone who was eating very low carbs and di not consume any carbs prior to competing. True. That is a benefit of some carbs in the diet.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Quick release energy.

Keto is definitely is more common among the ultramarathoners.
    http://www.ultrarunning.com/features/health-and-nutrition/the-emerging-science-on-fat-adaptation/

Peter Attia has experimented on himself for years. He's not an elite athlete, but he's head and shoulders above most of us and does tri's. http://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance

http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/do-low-carb-diets-improve-endurance-performance.

To be honest, I don't know of any professional marathoners who eat a LCHF diet, but then again, I don't know of any proffessional marathoners. Period. I don't follow much in proffessional sports.

I think there are a few football players and basketball players doing LCHF.

Mr. Knight has posted about how they aren't anywhere near keto when in-season, at least. I should track down his posts, as I believe they had links. He said they aren't really low carb, just lower carb than the typical high carb athlete diet, if memory serves, and they are still a minority. If it was helpful I'd expect a lot more would be experimenting with it.

I'll read about Attia (I'm pretty familiar with Noakes' arguments, and not convinced, and Noakes did eat a high carb diet when competing, and of course has other reasons for his POV).
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I know a few 'successful marathoners' and none would be eating more fat then carbs for fuel. I spoke to 3 this year and two actually laughed when I mentioned it. When I say successful, one was in top 25 in the Boston Marathon back in the 90's and the other ran and won back to back marathons in the midwest earlier this year. A 2 Hour 41 minute pace isn't enough to qualify for the Olympics but considering he ran them in the same weekend I'd say he was an ultra athlete to some extent. Since he won money is he a professional? Seriously, if it was advantageous athletes would be doing it.
  • nvmomketo
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Some are starting to as the information spreads.