Protein intake help!!! Please

Options
Hello everyone So I am currently doing Chalene extreme 5 days a week I am 5ft 118 pounds. I have my macros set up to 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fat are these good?? I am trying to get rid of this skinny fat syndrome that I have going. Thank you!!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    taots1012 wrote: »
    Hello everyone So I am currently doing Chalene extreme 5 days a week I am 5ft 118 pounds. I have my macros set up to 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fat are these good?? I am trying to get rid of this skinny fat syndrome that I have going. Thank you!!

Are you currently doing any sort of weight lifting?

Protein/macro settings won't matter in the least (insofar as your goal is to recomposition your body) if you're not.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to focus on getting total calories and protein right (grams per kilo of body weight + extra corresponding to exercise regime), and let carbs and fat take care of themselves.

Good luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    taots1012 wrote: »

Are you currently doing any sort of weight lifting?

Protein/macro settings won't matter in the least (insofar as your goal is to recomposition your body) if you're not.

I agree with this.

Chalean Extreme is mostly body weight exercises with some resistance bands thrown in, am I right? It's a good start but may not get you the results you want over the long haul since you're probably going to outgrow it after the first go through. You'd be better off hitting the gym and lifting some real weights in a progressive program like Stronglifts 5x5 or the New Rules of Lifting.

If your goal is to build muscle, getting enough protein is your biggest concern. I believe a good ratio is .8 grams of protein for every pound of lean muscle mass.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    You've gotten good advice above. You want to look into body recomposition, and the protein intake for people who already have a low fat mass is usually 1-1.2 g/pound of lean mass. (Don't quote me on that...verify it for yourself)

On top of that, lift heavy! Resistance training won't do much.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Actually, Chalene Extreme is a weight training program you can do with either dumbbells or resistance bands. It is about lifting heavier with shorter sets, and you keep track of what you lifted so you can progress each month. I doubt it would be considered "heavy lifting" by folks who suggest Stronglifts or NROL, but it is a lot closer than most other DVD sets geared toward women. I'm no expert, so no idea how effective it would be for recomp.

OP, as others have mentioned, the typical advice is @ .8 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight, or 1 gram per lean muscle mass if you believe you have an accurate number for that.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Fair enough I actually missed the reference to that in the OP, and regardless wouldn't have been familiar with the program without googling it.

So with that in mind, I would focus not so much on macro percentages, but minimums in grams.

Eat at least .6-.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day. 0.3-0.4 grams per pound of body weight of fat.

The remainder of your calories you can fill in with whatever foods you enjoy and will help you keep within your overall calorie goal.

• taots1012
    taots1012 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!! You've been very helpful