Metabolic shut down

Hey :smile:
Has anybody of you ever experienced a metabolic shut down?
I read about it and I'm a little bit afraid that it will happen to me...
I never eat under 1'100-1'300 kcal, but I'm not eating back my exercise calories.
(I normally do 2 to 3 times cardio (about 500 kcal per time) and light weight lifting two times per week)

Should I be worried?

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    No. It's a myth.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Many people experience it. You can find them in your nearest cemetery.

Joking aside, your metabolism will vary slightly depending on your size, body composition, and activity level. But it doesn't "shut down" until you're dead.

That said, if your calorie counts are accurate, you're eating far too few for a sustainable, healthy lifestyle.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    ^^^^ What they said!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Your metabolism will never scale down faster than your calorie count scales down. You'll never eat 100 less calories and have your metabolism burn 110 less calories.
    Still, the recommended minimum is 1200 kCall, so try to make sure your average is at least that.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Metabolic DAMAGE can occur, not a complete shut-down. If you're not extreme dieting and doing hours of cardio a day (like many amateur bikini competitors are "coached" to do by disreputable coaches) you're probably not at risk.
  • olkr
    olkr Posts: 31 Member
    Thanks for all the responses :smiley:
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Well, if you ate at such a severe deficit you ended up with malnutrition, you could cause irreparable and fatal damage to your body. For example if you don't eat the minimum protein your body needs, you can eventually die, even if you otherwise have enough calories.

That said, unless your diet crosses the line into eating disorder you are not at risk.