Options

Replies

• Ajocal18
    Ajocal18 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Ajocal18 wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    as someone who carried a large beer gut for decades, I can tell you its the last to go and the first to come back when you over eat. Keep up the good work, you got this!

Thanks, do you think I would have to go to the lower end of a healthy Bmi to get a flatter stomach. I know it will never be flat but just a slight chub would be fine

First, you look great and have done so well so far. Congrats on that :)

Second, my guess is that you'll have to have a lower BMI, meaning not the top of your healthy range, to see a flatter stomach. My build is very similar. I look much slimmer when people see me from the front than I do from the side. I'm at pretty much the same weight as you, which puts me about 5 pounds below the top of my healthy range, and a bit taller (5'5.5") and my waist is still my largest measurement, proportionally speaking. My best guess right now is that I'm going to end up going to mid- to high 130s to get it to be less...big. Like you, I'm not looking for a flat stomach. Just not a big one.

Thanks for the advice, thats what I was fearing
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yeah, the stomach on a lot of us is the first to come and the last to go. I think it's more obvious on us petites because we have short torsos and there's not a lot of space for the fat to go, so it sort of goes outward instead of up and down.

Take heart: You're in good company. Your photos look great!

Oh, and I lost a shoe size, too. Dammit. I was a nice comfy 6 or 6.5, and now I'm a 5.5 in a lot of shoes and can't find them anymore. WTH?
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and have lost about 114 pounds in total, most of it here on MFP. The last time I measured my waist I was at 42 inches. Quite disheartening. I wish this belly would go.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem: I look like a deflated balloon on two popsicle sticks at the moment. (I even lost a shoe size...I had no desire to lose a shoe size...) Folks keep saying it'll come off eventually, so we all patiently wait. :smile:

Yes, I've lost weight in my face, neck, legs, ankles, thighs, feet , arms , wrist ,breast pretty much anywhere but my mid section. I'm getting concerned I look weird with my legs and boobs shrinking and my stomach staying exactly the same.

Oh no, I can definitely see a difference in your stomach :)

Thanks for posting the pictures and way to go!

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Hmm, are you sure you're measuring at the right place? Right above the belly button where your waist naturally goes in? You're similar in size to me. I'm 5'2.5" and 142 and my waist measurement is 29 inches. It's hard to tell in the pictures but you don't look overly heavy around the tummy area.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm reading the comments, I'm thinking maybe you are measuring your tummy, not your waist. My tummy is 39 inches, so that sounds closer to your measurements. I'm ok with it though, I've come so far! Plus I've had 4 babies so it's not surprising that it's taking a while for my tummy to shrink!!
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I feel your pain. I'm hour glassy, 5'1.5", and have gone from 219 to 149 since March. My waist is 38.5 but my things are gigantic. I mean, I need to lose in my waist too... but my upper thighs are just wrong. Wrong I tell you. And I've noticed that I'm losing around my knees and mid thighs so now it almost looks like my upper thighs are big, round balls.

• gilliebee63
    gilliebee63 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Some of the helpful getting started posts talk about this. "So you want a flat belly.." And the ever popular "sexypants". You're in good company.Those posters talk about the need to incorporate some strength training at some point. Now that I am close to my own goal weight, that's probably what's next for me too... In my personal journey to "sexypants". :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Great job! I agree about strength training go everyone. The sooner you start the better. I started from day 1. It's not heavy lifting. It's a combo of weights, resistance bands, bodyweight, TRX, and more.
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert or at my goal weight but I didn't really start losing my belly until my diet changed along with lifting. There's a list of foods out there that can reduce inflammation and belly fat...Olive oil, avocadoes, nuts.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Every few pounds you lose will reduce your waist size...just keep up the good work :smile: great progress pics too :smiley:

a womans waist is a lot higher than a mans, you need to measure at the narrowest point, usually an inch above the belly button..
  • kck2013
    kck2013 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thx for putting some photos up. You look great.... except for that missing smile. And you should smile after the great weight loss you've achieved! And yes, you're an apple shape but your belly doesn't look outrages. So don't get stuck on that thought but focus on something else. How about just getting to the mid BMI section, wait and see? You can do it! And regarding the belly fat, it will come off eventually if you eat a deficit long enough. How about replacing some of the cardio with strength training? It'll help to reshape your figure by adding some muscles in the right areas (bum, legs). Once you've got some muscles your whole body shape will look different even though you probably still weigh the same. You'll reach the point, where the scale is not everything anymore.

Head up! X
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people about strength training. You will see a difference in your body shape. HIIT will also torch those calories in a shorter amount of time as well. As long as you eat at a deficient, eat enough protein and lift you will see results that you want. By the way, celebrate what you have accomplished. You look great and will continue to see improvements. We don't see what you are seeing, your mind has to catch up to your weight loss. That takes time too :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    randomsue wrote: »
    I'm not an expert or at my goal weight but I didn't really start losing my belly until my diet changed along with lifting. There's a list of foods out there that can reduce inflammation and belly fat...Olive oil, avocadoes, nuts.

This is inaccurate information.
  • Missatomicbombx
    Missatomicbombx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 1. When I was 150 pounds, my waist was 33 inches. I'm now 105, and my waist is a little less than 26 inches. Great job on your weight loss! :)
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    5xg2u4eklu3f.png
    tms1f68465li.png

Your stomach definitely doesn't look exactly the same! I think you are being too hard on yourself :) everyone is shaped differently... You may need to lose more than 17 lbs to really flatten your tummy, like more on the lower side of your healthy BMI to get the results you want, but either way you look great and are doing amazing!
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    First of all well done on losing that 50lbs...you look great!! I'm 5ft and 149lbs at the moment and my waist (if you can call it that lol) is 38 inches. I too hope that by the time I lose another 30lbs it will go down to a reasonable size but I expect it will not be any less than 32" when I finish and only weigh 119lbs.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Your stomach definitely looks smaller. Maybe you're not measuring in the same spot each time?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Maybe that weight will come off last. Mine really did that. I looked like an apple and I'm an hourglass at a lower weight :) But you wouldn't have known it till the last 15 lbs or so. They were all there in my middle! My other parts stopped losing as quickly, too, even though they'd been the first to go and went rapidly in comparison.
  • Ajocal18
    Ajocal18 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the supports everyone! Maybe I will try strength training , I keep hearing it but it hinestly terrifies me back as I have no clue what I'm doing .