Rice

Options
Ginnygirl5
Ginnygirl5 Posts: 55 Member
Am I the only person that can't make rice?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Given the popularity of rice makers, I'm going to guess 'no'.

EDIT: The easy way to make it is like pasta. Put it in a lot of liquid and drain it.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the rice cooker too. I've been using once since I was 15 - my best friend is Vietnamese and they always used one so I bought one too.
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've given up trying -- I buy the Boil-in-Bag rice now (which I guess is the same as Need2Exercies's advice but it is a lot easier to drain because you just take the bag out of the water).
  • Ginnygirl5
    Options
    I had a rice cooker! Loved it, but broke it. Haven't gotten a new one. Been trying to make it on the stove. LOL!!!! Yah no such luck. :/
  • Ginnygirl5
    Options
    I totally forgot about thoses! Thanks
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Actually, rice is easy, at least I've never had much trouble as long as all I'm using is water (or stock) and rice. (Trying to add other ingredients usually ends badly for me.) I owned a rice steamer that was given as a wedding present but we moved about 10 years ago and my kitchen is smaller so I did away with a lot of "single purpose" appliances and I found that I didn't really need it.

Here's what works for me:

Put half as much rice as cold water into a pot (that has a matching lid) making sure that the pot is no more than half to 2/3 full. Turn on the burner and leave the pot uncovered with the heat as high as it will go. It'll take a couple of minutes, but not that long, so don't leave the room. As soon as it starts to boil clamp a lid on it and turn the burner down to low (I usually set mine between 2 and 3 out of 10) and -- here's the secret-- leave it alone for 15-20 minutes. Don't lift the lid (unless it starts to boil over and then only for a second or two to get the foam down) and definitely don't stir it. Check it at around the 15 minute mark to see if the water is all absorbed; if not put the lid back on and let it go for a few more minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and serve.

Otherwise, a rice steamer is usually foolproof.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I've given up trying -- I buy the Boil-in-Bag rice now (which I guess is the same as Need2Exercies's advice but it is a lot easier to drain because you just take the bag out of the water).

Same lol. The basmati boil in bag stuff is pretty good at least.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    hmmm I always thought rice was easy..... I've even taught my 9 year old and 12 year old how to make it. The real stuff, not instant. I think the biggest mistake people make is not having a lid that fits tightly, or turning the heat off too soon. I usually use the stovetop, but have a bamboo steamer that I love for sticky rice. I've never even touched a rice cooker, but have always been curious about how well they work because I could cook it while not having to watch it.....I think? like a slow cooker?
  • Ginnygirl5
    Options
    It's not for me, not sure why, but it's not. Yes the rice cooker is like a crockpot! Love them both lol
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Love my rice cooker, personally.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Rice can be very tricky I find.
    Lately I've taken to making it in a pressure cooker.