Best breakfast cereals?

Options
I've been looking into the nutrition info on a lot of the cereals I normally have, and it's quite interesting - All Bran looks to be the winner for me, it has 14% protein! All others are around 10% protein. It also has your RDA of fibre in one serving (my size serving) - goodbye bloatedness - hello regularity! The only downside is that it has more sugar than other cereals such as shredded wheat, but not that much more.

The worst of the no added sugar cereals seems to be Rice Crispies, little protein, few micronutrients, just energy.

Anyone found any cereals that beat All Bran for protein?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I haven't really looked, but I eat All Bran Complete like crazy, 130 grams at a time.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I haven't really looked, but I eat All Bran Complete like crazy, 130 grams at a time.

Wow, that must be awesome, and you can eat white bread the rest of the day and no worries
  • WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Be careful with any breakfast cereal, they are usually not as good as the commercials make them appear, check not just the protein levels but also the carbs and the sugar. I found that most are either high in carbs are have some very high sugar content. I have found that if I want a grain for breakfast that just plain steel cut oatmeal is about the best., Then I microwave a serving of turkey sausage to eat with it. Makes a fast and easy breakfast with enough protein and low carbs.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    "Best" depends on your goals. Breakfast cereals aren't all that healthy, for sure, but I needed the iron, so I added one.

I generally find that foods with added protein don't taste very good, so when I see "protein" on the label, I tend to keep looking. Different strokes! :)
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    But I also eat it for the carbs. I have to get my 499 grams from somewhere.
  • hamlet1222
    Options
    I have a lot of oats too, they are great, but I notice they are about 8% fat - not a huge deal, but they do contribute to my daily fat allowance, and I have to be careful in other meals.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »

Wow, that must be awesome, and you can eat white bread the rest of the day and no worries
    Split top honey wheat, always.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats.
    labelL109481.gif
    I add my protein with the Greek Yogurt. I haven't tried, but heard, about adding egg whites at the end of cooking.
  • jgnatca
    Options
  • hamlet1222
    Options
    yep, the shredded wheat bitesize is what I have too, I have to sprinkle two teaspoons of demerera sugar on though - it has to be done.

Here are the oats I have, quite a different nutrition strangely: t6n9es4vm7bs.jpg

• jgnatca
    edited October 2015
    Options
    How about this?
    http://holycrap.ca/products/holy-crap-cereal
    Organic, gluten-free, non-GMO, vegan, and Kosher.
    003-CA-bag-Holy-Crap-NFT_1024x1024.jpg?v=1440786470
    A single serving is two tablespoons, so, be careful.
  • hamlet1222
    Options
    I think I might avoid that one, name puts me off for some reason
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Check out Kashi brand cereals, their ingredients dont start with "enriched".
  • ValkyrieNereid
    ValkyrieNereid Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a Kashi Go Lean girl, although it's tough to swallow the £7.17 price tag on amazon. Unfortunately it was the only way I could get it when I lived in the UK.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I break my teeth on the Kashi cereals. I also don't like the Special K range of products as I find them too high in sugar, too low in fiber. Not diet-ish at all, especially for diabetics.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I think I might avoid that one, name puts me off for some reason
    But......regular!