2 months of no running? What will happen to my progress?

Options
I've been distance-running for the past 2.5-3 years, and I've gotten pretty good in my opinion! I recently completed a half marathon (13.1 miles) in 1 hour and 37 minutes. I typically have run 4-5 times a week, with an average of 4-6 miles when I'm not training for anything (it was different for the half marathon of course). I average about a 7-7:30 minute mile.

I've just started the Insanity program from Team Beach Body and I wasn't going to run at all while doing this program. I'm doing it because I want to tone up and get stronger, but I'm worried that my running will permanently suffer. I know it will take a little while to get back into after I start again, but will taking 2 months off of running to do Insanity do permanent damage to my running? Any tips on how to get back into it after I complete Insanity? Thanks so much!

By the way, I'm 18, 5'1" about 94 lbs, female.

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Well, to give you some perspective, I'd only been running a year and was almost 40 when I had a stress fracture (fibula) and took 2 months off from ANY strenuous exercise, and slowly eased back into running. Within 3 months of my fracture, I was running at the same pace I was before the injury.

With youth on your side and continuing to do intense cardio workouts, I can't imagine it's going to hurt you one bit.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I agree with LorinaLynn. I have had to take months off from running due to injury and was able to start back without any problem. If you are doing other exercising during the 2 months, you will be absolutely fine.

Great job on your half, too!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I took a month off during training for my last half due to pneumonia. Yes, less time, but due to lung illness, not a choice to focus on other excercise. Workouts in my first week after antibiotics were tough, couldn't run the distance I was used to, but 3 weeks from my return to running I was running my fastest and for longer distances, so really, my guess would be it would be no sweat for you. Also, I have asthma and the pneumonia happened in my first year of running and in 3 weeks I was better than normal. But I run much slower tham you, 10 min miles for a half.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. After you start back, ease into it with low, easy mileage and build slowly. You'll be back to where you were in 6 months time.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I had to stop running completely because of severe knee arthritis. I had been running about 20 miles a week, it was a pretty tough blow. I have maintained my weight and walk regularly, pretty fast, and am able to burn some good calories. I also do hatha yoga.
  • fitjules35
    fitjules35 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Can't you squeeze in a run or two each week to try to maintain some of your aerobic fitness level? Seems like your return to running in a couple months will be so much easier than if you go cold turkey.