Push Up Help

Options
This is going to seem a little weird to stronger people, but I can't even come close to doing a push up. I have even tried the push ups where you are resting on your knees and not fully extended (if that makes sense). I would like to build up some strength so eventually I will be able to do push ups. Does anybody have any suggestions of exercises I can do without equipment to help strengthen my arms?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Start off by doing pushups against the wall, or against a kitchen/bathroom counter (you're more upright and pushing much less weight). Work your way up to knee pushups, then eventually to full pushups.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Start with doing them against the kitchen counter, or the stairs. Gradually move down a stair as you get better at doing them, until you can do them from the floor
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Start by doing them against the wall, then try from your countertop, then from the coffee table, keep lowering until you get to the floor, start on your knees, then to your toes.

Do as many as you can in each position, take a 30 second break, then do one less, repeat until you are down to one, then hold plank until you can no longer hold it.

Your strength will build. Just my opinions and personal experience here. I am certain others will have some ideas as well.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Start doing them against the wall - look on Google or on You Tube!

I did a push-up challenge (with myself) so I know you can do it, just take your time :)

I did them to build up my chest area, no boobs - so I may have had a lot of motivation :#
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I started on the stairs, I could go down a stair as I improved.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think it is funny when people think that "strong people" won't understand them not being able to do something. Most people were not born being able to do massive amounts of push-ups, lifts houses, leap tall buildings, etc. Like the others have said, find a good push-up progression. Here is a good start: http://gymnasticswod.com/content/push-progression-pt1

Anyway, I wish you success.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Bench presses, dumbbell rows, flyes, chest press machine - will all help you build those muscles. I also suggest just getting into the position and staying there, working on your core strength, doing planks, etc. It takes time to be able to do them, so just be happy every time you make progress. About 8 years ago I lost 96 lbs, and along the way worked from zero pushups to being able to do 3 sets of 20 (60 total) real military pushups - even the guys in the gym were jealous :wink: . If you can even do one more than the last time, you're progressing. It will come though!
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    armylife wrote: »
    I think it is funny when people think that "strong people" won't understand them not being able to do something. Most people were not born being able to do massive amounts of push-ups, lifts houses, leap tall buildings, etc. Like the others have said, find a good push-up progression. Here is a good start: http://gymnasticswod.com/content/push-progression-pt1

My boyfriend told me that he never knew anybody couldn't do a push up until I showed him me trying to do one. Thank you for your help!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    cdudley628 wrote: »
    Does anybody have any suggestions of exercises I can do without equipment to help strengthen my arms?

If your arms aren't strong, then the rest of you probably needs strengthening too.. so i'd follow a full-body program. If you have no equipment, try Nerd Fitness' beginner program.
    Eventually you will benefit from getting some basic strength equipment, like a pair of adjustable dumbbells & resistance bands. :+1:
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    armylife wrote: »

My boyfriend told me that he never knew anybody couldn't do a push up until I showed him me trying to do one. Thank you for your help!

Pushups are hard. I say so, and I used to do 100+ per day. It takes time to build up the strength and endurance. They engage a lot of muscle groups, and can be very intense.

As others have said, start by doing wall pushups. Do a pyramid workout. Do as many as you can (or a set number, I like 10), rest, then do another set with one less rep. Repeat, then when you get to 1, do as many as you can without breaking form. If you can only do one rep without breaking form, then don't worry. It isn't a race. :)

If you find yourself unable to complete a set, don't stop. Just rest in the up position until you can finish the set. I'd also take a longer rest after that set before the next.

You can also do planks to help build strength and endurance. I find them boring though.
  • agentredomar
    agentredomar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with an earlier comment that you need to work on the negative first. A great way to strengthen core, back, arms, and so on is doing Pilates workout. It strengthen and stretches your whole body all while some cardio, and it's great if your not looking to gain muscle.
    All of the best of luck to you.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I agree with an earlier comment that you need to work on the negative first. A great way to strengthen core, back, arms, and so on is doing Pilates workout. It strengthen and stretches your whole body all while some cardio, and it's great if your not looking to gain muscle.

I find that pushups are good at strengthening the core. A well formed pushup should use the back, abs, chest, shoulders, triceps, and biceps. I use them along with situps to help regulate lower back pain. If I keep my back strong, my old injury doesn't hurt as often.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

Pilates! That sounds fun! I'll look into it.
  • New_determination
    New_determination Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Caterpillars might be good place to start n works more muscles
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

My girl friend has been consistently lifting now for about 2 years and she can still barely do a push up. It confuses me haha
  • alecsg21
    alecsg21 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Keep trying, these are all great tips. :)
  • gcaracciolo2
    gcaracciolo2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Practice maintaining 10 second holds at opposite ends of the pushup spectrum. First, do a hold at the starting pushup position (palms and the floor with your arms fully extended and hold for 10 seconds) then drop to the floor and and hold with your chest almost touching the floor. Take many breaks in between. This is tough but a good way to help build that strength to complete fluid movements.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    There's a pushup-like move in my yoga routine that I could do in 2004 but no longer. I'd been doing dumbbell bench presses and tricep pull downs to help with this, to no avail.

Lately I've been doing pushups against the counter. I started with two sets of eight. I stand three feet back. I do two sets every other day and add an additional one each time, and am up to two sets of 20 now.

20121016024103-counter-top-push-ups-1-3-x-10-for-7-days.jpg
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I swam as a teen. I used "pull buoys," which are placed between the thighs, to build arm and upper body strength. When I joined the Army I could do 50 men's style pushups in 1 minute.