Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ambetts98 wrote: »
    ive been eating about close to 140 grams of carbs a day. Some days I'm under and some days I'm a little over. Is it okay to limit carbs? Some say it's not healthy to do that because your body needs the nutrients. But so far, by eating less carbs/fat and more protein, I've lost body fat. But is it harmful to your body to restrict your carbohydrate intake? I don't think it is. I feel tired a lot but I don't think eating more carbs will give me energy like people think

It depends on the context, certainly restricting carb intake has been shown to negatively impact mood scores, cognition etc. Besides the research on this, the anecdotal evidence showing negative effects on cognition, reading comprehension, simple logic, mood scores is vast.

This seems to happen in the first week or two mainly in those who do not up their electrolytes when going into ketosis. Otherwise, cognitive abilities often improve on a LCHF diet.

My n=1 showed an improved mental ability to the point where my husband actually noticed.... In hindsight, it is a bit disturbing to know how my inappropriate diet was affecting me.

Longer term studies do show an improvement in cognition in carb restricted dieters, however not as large as an improvement as non carb restricted dieters. Anecdotally there is plenty of evidence suggesting that low carb diets are detrimental to cognitive abilities as well as many others

Anecdotally.

OK, got it.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    what puzzles me is where glycogen fits in. Some low-carb diet proponents suggest that it not possible to burn fat until you've depleted your glycogen stores.

And many low carb proponents are anti science and just make things up like the glycogen claim

What exactly is "the glycogen claim"?

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's because she was breastfeeding too, but the lady in this article nearly died after limiting carbs:

dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3262230/New-mother-nearly-DIES-low-carb-diet-32-year-old-developed-life-threatening-condition-ditching-bread-rice-pasta-breastfeeding.html

I'd say the same as the physician in the article, that this is my first time hearing of someone who isn't type 1 diabetic getting ketoacidosis (physician quoted said while lactating). One person with ketoacidosis (and it seems from other quotes, she potentially had many other issues) hardly means low carb dieting is dangerous. That's an extreme cherry picking.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider 140 grams, limiting carbs.
  • senecarr
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    what puzzles me is where glycogen fits in. Some low-carb diet proponents suggest that it not possible to burn fat until you've depleted your glycogen stores.

And many low carb proponents are anti science and just make things up like the glycogen claim

What exactly is "the glycogen claim"?

That all glycogen has to be depleted before oxidizing fat happens in the human body.
  • senecarr
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    ambetts98 wrote: »
    ive been eating about close to 140 grams of carbs a day. Some days I'm under and some days I'm a little over. Is it okay to limit carbs? Some say it's not healthy to do that because your body needs the nutrients. But so far, by eating less carbs/fat and more protein, I've lost body fat. But is it harmful to your body to restrict your carbohydrate intake? I don't think it is. I feel tired a lot but I don't think eating more carbs will give me energy like people think

It depends on the context, certainly restricting carb intake has been shown to negatively impact mood scores, cognition etc. Besides the research on this, the anecdotal evidence showing negative effects on cognition, reading comprehension, simple logic, mood scores is vast.

This seems to happen in the first week or two mainly in those who do not up their electrolytes when going into ketosis. Otherwise, cognitive abilities often improve on a LCHF diet.

My n=1 showed an improved mental ability to the point where my husband actually noticed.... In hindsight, it is a bit disturbing to know how my inappropriate diet was affecting me.

Longer term studies do show an improvement in cognition in carb restricted dieters, however not as large as an improvement as non carb restricted dieters. Anecdotally there is plenty of evidence suggesting that low carb diets are detrimental to cognitive abilities as well as many others

Anecdotally.

OK, got it.

Seeing as first part says longer term studies, but you reply to only the anecdotal part (not to mention it is in response to a "n=1" "experiment")...
    Cherry picking.
    OK, got it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Depending on how the person was eating, it might well be limiting carbs, but I wouldn't consider it low carb. It's about what I am currently eating, after all. ;-)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @MoiAussi93 and @nvmomketo - what are your approximate macro ratios?

My macros are roughly 5% carbs (~20g), 70-75% fat (~110g), and 20-25% protein (~85g). My caloric goal was set at 1420 but it averages out to about 1500 something, give or take 500 calories.

I was losing about 2 lbs per week on this, starting at 185-190lbs. Now that I am about 155 lbs, and my calories have been closer to 1700 per day lately, I'm losing about 0.5-1 lb per week.

• nvmomketo
    Options

Depending on your activity level, 140g of carbs could have you in ketosis. One gentleman around the low carber board was a long distance cyclist who was putting in a couple of hours of hard riding per day. He would have 250g of carbs before and during his ride and it was burned up immediately. He didn't go out of ketosis.

Below 150g to 100g is generally considered to be low carb. Generally speaking. It's just a description. 150g is lower carb than most.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

Right now my maximum carbs are 50 grams (15%). I aim for 118 grams of protein (35%) and 75 grams of fat (50%). That's for 1350 calories. I was at 1500 until recently, and kept the 50 grams of carbs and 118 of protein and just ate a bit more fat.

In reality, on many days I am closer to 100 grams of protein and slightly higher on fat.
  • senecarr
    Options

Depending on your activity level, 140g of carbs could have you in ketosis. One gentleman around the low carber board was a long distance cyclist who was putting in a couple of hours of hard riding per day. He would have 250g of carbs before and during his ride and it was burned up immediately. He didn't go out of ketosis.

Below 150g to 100g is generally considered to be low carb. Generally speaking. It's just a description. 150g is lower carb than most.

Did he consume glu packs and post pictures of his route?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Did he consume glu packs and post pictures of his route?

That he did.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Besides the research on this, the anecdotal evidence showing negative effects on cognition, reading comprehension, simple logic, mood scores is vast.

Similar associations can be drawn with other characteristics.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

Right now my maximum carbs are 50 grams (15%). I aim for 118 grams of protein (35%) and 75 grams of fat (50%). That's for 1350 calories. I was at 1500 until recently, and kept the 50 grams of carbs and 118 of protein and just ate a bit more fat.

In reality, on many days I am closer to 100 grams of protein and slightly higher on fat.

what foods are you eating per meal....im trying to follow macros similar to yours. what success have you had with weight and labs?
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

what foods are you eating per meal....im trying to follow macros similar to yours. what success have you had with weight and labs?

This thread is over 7 years old - I’m not sure many of those posters are still around. You might have better luck starting your own new thread.