calories burned breast-feeding

Options
How do you log the calories you burn while breastfeeding?

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I would think of it as part of TDEE.
  • lderby1
    lderby1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Tdee?
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

Don't feed trolls.
  • _flawedperfectly_
    _flawedperfectly_ Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    In the food tab there is options for breastfeeding. Just type in "breastfeeding" as a food and you'll see them.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    armylife wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote: »

Don't feed trolls.

That's the second time today. Dang it.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you are exclusively breastfeeding an infant you need extra calories or else your supply can be affected. There are entries for breastfeeding in the exercise tab to make it easier, or you can quick add negative calories. As your baby starts eating solids as well, or if you are supplementing with formula, you won't need to add nearly as much. EBF a young infant can burn up to 500 calories a day. Once you start introducing solids, start dropping. After a year, the burn is almost negligible. I probably wouldn't bother adding calories for BFing a toddler, your supply probably won't be affected at that point unless you are starving yourself.
  • lderby1
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @lderby1 If you are micro-managing your calorie "burns" to this extent your personal weight loss program is doomed to fail.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Let's not be too harsh, maybe she's on to something. I got out of bed this morning...I'm sure there was some ab work there and walking to the shower surely burned some calories. My showers are pretty vigorous, so, cardio perhaps?

I ate breakfast.....my jaw was moving, so I'm pretty sure I can log that as circuit training.
    My drive into work involved periodic foot movement from the gas pedal to the brake, so I think I'll count that as step aerobics.

Reading this is making me laugh to the point I have to pee, so I've got some more steps and cardio there. By my calculations, I have earned at least 2,000 more calories over my TDEE.......*kitten*, I forgot to log the calories burned typing this response.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Full time breastfeeding burns up to/around 500 calories per day. You're not burning them all while sitting there while your baby nurses, of course, but your body burns them while producing milk. In order to add those calories, you log it under Food. It will give you a negative amount, which means it adds to your daily calorie allowance. For example, "Breastfeeding - 3-6 Month Old Baby, 1 day" adds 400 calories.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm glad we have so many lactation consultants and pediatricians around here.

Exclusively breastfeeding is demanding on the body and if you don't eat enough your supply will be affected. OP, how far postpartum are you? I hate to say it, but I've never been able to do much of a calorie deficit while EBF without it affecting my supply. I still lost weight, though. I'd take it easy on yourself for a while. There's so much going on. <3

• lderby1
    Options
    janiep81 wrote: »
    I'm glad we have so many lactation consultants and pediatricians around here.

Exclusively breastfeeding is demanding on the body and if you don't eat enough your supply will be affected. OP, how far postpartum are you? I hate to say it, but I've never been able to do much of a calorie deficit while EBF without it affecting my supply. I still lost weight, though. I'd take it easy on yourself for a while. There's so much going on. <3

Thanks! Man some people are rude!
    I am 8 weeks postpartum and i want to figure in my calories burned with breastfeeding so i don't deprive myself too much. I have been eating way too much so this will help me get perspective. I lost weight with EBF last year with my firstborn with out cutting calories but the weight won't budge this second time around. Tkachuk for your support!
  • lderby1
    edited October 2015
    Options

jemhh wrote: »
    Full time breastfeeding burns up to/around 500 calories per day. You're not burning them all while sitting there while your baby nurses, of course, but your body burns them while producing milk. In order to add those calories, you log it under Food. It will give you a negative amount, which means it adds to your daily calorie allowance. For example, "Breastfeeding - 3-6 Month Old Baby, 1 day" adds 400 calories.

Thanks!
  • lderby1
    Options
    Let's not be too harsh, maybe she's on to something. I got out of bed this morning...I'm sure there was some ab work there and walking to the shower surely burned some calories. My showers are pretty vigorous, so, cardio perhaps?

I ate breakfast.....my jaw was moving, so I'm pretty sure I can log that as circuit training.
    My drive into work involved periodic foot movement from the gas pedal to the brake, so I think I'll count that as step aerobics.

Reading this is making me laugh to the point I have to pee, so I've got some more steps and cardio there. By my calculations, I have earned at least 2,000 more calories over my TDEE.......*kitten*, I forgot to log the calories burned typing this response.

I wonder how many calories you burn being rude?
  • lderby1
    edited October 2015
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    @lderby1 If you are micro-managing your calorie "burns" to this extent your personal weight loss program is doomed to fail.

Clearly you know nothing about the demands breastfeeding has on the body. It takes energy to make milk!
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    lderby1 wrote: »

Please, one activity at a time.......let everyone workout this breastfeeding conundrum and then we can move on to addressing the amount of calories my attitude burns.

While, yes, I am being glib in my response, my response comes from a pragmatic place. I think people, and you, are confusing calorie burn with calorie needs. Will you burn so many extra calories breastfeeding that it will require you to log it......not likely. On the other hand, will you need to consume extra calories to account for the nourishment that you are providing to another.......I would think so, but I think the question of how many more calories is better reserved for someone who is more knowledgeable in this field.......not a bunch of yahoos in a forum (some of us have the tendency to be rude).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Please, one activity at a time.......let everyone workout this breastfeeding conundrum and then we can move on to addressing the amount of calories my attitude burns.

While, yes, I am being glib in my response, my response comes from a pragmatic place. I think people, and you, are confusing calorie burn with calorie needs. Will you burn so many extra calories breastfeeding that it will require you to log it......not likely. On the other hand, will you need to consume extra calories to account for the nourishment that you are providing to another.......I would think so, but I think the question of how many more calories is better reserved for someone who is more knowledgeable in this field.......not a bunch of yahoos in a forum (some of us have the tendency to be rude).

Considering that the increased calorie needs are due to the body burning additional calories through physical activity (lactation) I find it odd that breastfeeding has to be added in the food section. It is part of the calories out side of the equation. A breastfeeding woman is not just providing nourishment, she's producing it.

As for it being a question not to ask yahoos on a forum, you don't feel qualified to answer then don't. Just like you don't need to answer anything else on MFP. There's no need to insult yourself.
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I exclusively bf, and have my calories set at maintenance. I have steadily lost 1lb per week for 14 weeks now. So 400-500/day.
  • lderby1
    Options

Breastfeeding burns around 500 calories when nursing an infant, so yes, that requires a log. Other people have been very helpful and have answered my question.