How to learn to do a pull up?

Options
i have a pull up bar in my son's bedroom doorway. Any suggestions on how best to get started? I'd like to add in pull ups but am not strong enough to do one. Thanks for ideas.

Replies

• RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Just try one every time you walk by the pull-up bar. Do them from standing. Eventually, you'll actually do one. It's partly a matter of strength and partly a matter of engaging the correct muscles. Keep trying. You'll get it.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Just hang, and pull. You can also raise yourself above the bar (maybe with a chair?), grab on, hang in the up position, then slowly lower yourself. Rinse, repeat.
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Put a step ladder or chair beside it, step up into the position at the top of the rep and then lift your feet from the chair or ladder. Concentrate on lowering your body as slowly as you can. Repeat as you are able, you get fastest improvement from this eccentric phase, but expect to be sore.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    what has been said above (reverse pull ups/chin ups) - climb on a chair or stool or something and get into position then sllloooooowwwwwly lower yourself.

I can now do 3 consecutive chin ups - and I started off doing that ^^ and I still do that as part of my workout.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Super! I would have never thought of that- thanks guys!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Inverted rows to start. You use your legs to assist, but changing the height and suspending your legs makes it harder. As you progress, a "true" pull up will be attainable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7pDPBAETXM

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    fbinsc wrote: »
    Put a step ladder or chair beside it, step up into the position at the top of the rep and then lift your feet from the chair or ladder. Concentrate on lowering your body as slowly as you can. Repeat as you are able, you get fastest improvement from this eccentric phase, but expect to be sore.

This! Negatives is how I learned :)
    I went from dropping like a rock to now being able to do 4 strict pull ups in a row. One day I will do 10!

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Have already tried it. Isn't easy but I could feel all sorts of muscles in my back that I didn't know existed! Thanks again!
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I kip with mine as I can do more that way. Good suggestions on starting. I started doing them with a reverse narrow grip as they're easier than wide grip ones. Different muscles engaged but it was a start and confidence to progress.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    all good suggestions but also when you have a few free moments, do the motion with your arms. go slow. you should feel it after a few repititions
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    fbinsc wrote: »

This! Negatives is how I learned :)
    I went from dropping like a rock to now being able to do 4 strict pull ups in a row. One day I will do 10!

Yep.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would follow a set of progressions like these:

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/pull-up-progression.html

Also, I would try working on chin-ups as well. They are slightly easier than pull-ups but can help you build the strength for pull-ups.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    You should try exercise band pull-ups. You wrap a band around the pull up bar and stretch it down to your feet and it gives you a little assistance (Google Image it, it's hard to explain!). As you get better you can use weaker and weaker bands for less resistance. Also, the negative pull-ups are awesome!
  • scottver2
    scottver2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just hang, and pull. You can also raise yourself above the bar (maybe with a chair?), grab on, hang in the up position, then slowly lower yourself. Rinse, repeat.

RIGHT THERE^^^^^^^^^^^^. Focus on the negative in the beginning and don't get discouraged, it takes time.